Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotting Cheaters  (Read 3751 times)
N7KTX

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »

Looks like this weekend's Hf contest had a mole.  Over a period of several hours I clicked on many HRD cluster spots only to find that the Dx station shown wasn't the one working the frequency.  The frequency's actual operator was the spotter.  It was a contest station attempting to spot himself.  Cheap trick, and a rules violation when contesting.  When I challenged him on it he tried to beg off saying it must have been a logging error.  An error that repeated itsself for many hours.  Oops!  He went qrt after that.

It was a club station in Virginia, so I don't know the specific operator's sign.  I identified myself clearly and logged my contact with him.  I  have the freq/time info if anyone cares.  The station should be disqualified, in my opinion.  I seriously dislike cheaters.
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:59 AM »

I  have the freq/time info if anyone cares.  The station should be disqualified, in my opinion.

If you feel this was a rule violation (and the way you described it, it looks like it), get in touch with the organizers of the Contest: http://www.cqwpx.com/contact.htm

Fabian

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:49 AM »

He had his logger to "auto-spot" the calls he worked as if he were in S&P.

Often the mistake is as simple as forgetting to click the "running button" to disable S&P features.

A simple mistake. You will learn when you see 20+ calls all spotted at same frequency this is what happened.
K4TFJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »

Maybe the logging program should be modified to detect that a second entry is being placed at the same frequency and prompt to see if "running" should be turned on and "auto-spot" turned off...

73, TJ
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »

Probably an honest mistake - I don't see how it helps his cause much since you don't know who it is.  I mean say he spots an OK2 but you've already worked one...then you'd have no reason to go to the spot.

Mike N2MG
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

Probably an honest mistake - I don't see how it helps his cause much since you don't know who it is.  I mean say he spots an OK2 but you've already worked one...then you'd have no reason to go to the spot.

Unless, he wants to work another OK2??? 

FWIW, I think you can technically spot yourself - so long as you have NO intention of turning in a log for purposes of a claimed score.  It should be a checklog only.

I spotted myself a couple years back in WPX - I had not attention of submitting a log, but instead wanted to see what type of pileup I could generate in the last hour of a contest.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:24:38 AM »

Just legalize  the use of all the cluster for all categories. Then what will happen is that nobody will spot all the rare multipliers and the cluster will be neutralized as cheating tool.
In any sport there will be cheating and corruption  and you dont fight it by making more rules. Just legalize the illegal behavior. Besides if you did an analysis of the advantage of using  the cluster for a single op unassisted the advantage would be marginal anyway. When I have won a contest in any category I never would have won by cheating on the clusters because the multipliers always came from hard work. Same goes for skimmer. Just like  drugs in sports its a waste of effort trying to combat the use of drugs. The cheaters always are one step ahead of the lawmakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: