The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paket Radio  (Read 329 times)
ZL1CTS

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »

Hi All

OK some may sigh at this, but having just revived my KAM + by replacing the electrolytic caps, I'm looking to revive a bit of Packet radio action, been many many years since I was last on packet.. but I only see APRS packets around here in New Zealand...

Just wondering if there is any interest in Packet, or if I can drum up some interest... I'm looking to see if I can get a BBS up and running and maybe link it across the www to other bbs'.... I managed to find all my old packet programs and have them running in a virtual windows XP machine, so a few more cables to make up for the vhf and hf, and I'll be almost ready to go...

any thoughts (prefer positive ones :-) )

cheers
ZL1CTS
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:54 AM »

Hi All

OK some may sigh at this, but having just revived my KAM + by replacing the electrolytic caps, I'm looking to revive a bit of Packet radio action, been many many years since I was last on packet.. but I only see APRS packets around here in New Zealand...

Just wondering if there is any interest in Packet, or if I can drum up some interest... I'm looking to see if I can get a BBS up and running and maybe link it across the www to other bbs'.... I managed to find all my old packet programs and have them running in a virtual windows XP machine, so a few more cables to make up for the vhf and hf, and I'll be almost ready to go...

any thoughts (prefer positive ones :-) )

Packet Radio has the advantage of sending and receiving text, maps, photos and critical text bulletins containing detailed lists and instructions during an emergency or routine traffic via VHF/UHF and HF. Unlike voice or cw. Packet Radio has the unique ability to "Store and Forward" for later retrieval. Mailboxes can be set up to send and receive messages.

Packet radio stations can be set up to run unattended, remotely or in real time. It's low tech requirements means practically any operating system including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and even Commodore Vic 20 machines can be set up and run packet.

Packet radio is ideal for re-purposing that old Windows computer for use in the ham shack. In fact packet can run on ancient Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP or Vista machines with nothing more than a simple terminal program.

In fact Packet Radio can be set up to run remotely unattended even without the computer running. It doesn't have the limitation of strict line of site like the faster AREDN and High Speed - Hamnet do.

Portable/Mobile packet radio stations can be easily set up and run on 12 volts and could be built in an old brief case and can be deployed nearly anywhere using an emergency antenna such as a J-Pole antenna hung from a tall tree or pole.

Even if your area has no packet radio stations, you can set up your station or packet BBS and help others assemble their own packet stations. Perhaps you can make several packet radio videos on packet radio set-up and demonstration and show them at your local radio club and or post them over at YouTube. The old saying "If you build it they will come" is true more than ever.

Actually there is a bit of a revival for packet radio these days from the prepper community as well as newer hams who have embraced the various ham radio digital modes. Packet networks are still in existence in some areas here in the U.S.  

There is still some interest in Packet Radio as evidenced by this mega thread from April of this year. It ran 30 pages over at QRZ..

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/taking-another-look-at-packet-radio.561766/

Here is another link from November of 2016

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:06:06 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
ZL1CTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »

Hi
thanks for the Links, I shall look at those, I think here in NZ there is only APRS traffic using Packet TNC's, So I shall see if I can revive a bit of interest, most of the Hams I know are into D-star, Fusion, etc..

I shall have a play see what I can get setup, just waiting fro the arrival of a new eeprom with a later firmware version..

thanks

Cliff Zl1CTS
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »

Hi
thanks for the Links, I shall look at those, I think here in NZ there is only APRS traffic using Packet TNC's, So I shall see if I can revive a bit of interest, most of the Hams I know are into D-star, Fusion, etc..

I shall have a play see what I can get setup, just waiting fro the arrival of a new eeprom with a later firmware version..

thanks

Cliff Zl1CTS

I think since so many hams have embraced digital and with the glut of XP computers on the market (or in someone's basement or attic)  packet radio would seem like a natural progression. I even think there has been a small but renewed interest in RTTY as well.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

Here in USA I have participated in 300 baud HF packet on 20 meter band: 14.105 MHz LOWER sideband  center freq @1700 Hz

Bit of a stretch for you, but maybe when conditions are better in a few years....  Sad

If you are really ambitious you could become the first New Zealand RMS gateway for Winlink packet radio email client.  it uses 1200 baud VHF/UHF  packet mode for the radio side of it.

https://winlink.org/

73's
Jeff KG5AHC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: