Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-1000 and RTTY mode problems  (Read 2074 times)
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »

In my club we have an old FT-1000 (original not D or MP) and want to try out digital modes. We bought an SB-1000 interface and hooked it up to the radio. It seems to work fine.
I am trying out JT 65 HF on 40m. I tuned in 7076 on USB and could hear the signals coming in.
But when I press the "RTTY" button (twice to get USB and RTTY on 40m) the frequency jumps about 2 kHz but the signals sound the same. I tune it back to 7076 but now the signals are way off and high pitched and JT 65 doesn't receive anything. I go back to USB voice and the frequency jumps again. I tune back to 7076 and all sounds fine and JT 65 can pick up stations. Again pressing RTTY and the frequency jumps 2 kHz and the sound is as if the frequency never changed. I have googled around to find an answer to what is going on here but to no avail.  If I then use plain USB (not RTTY) then nothing is transmitted.
Does anyone here have a clue?

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:21:33 AM »

"RTTY", on most rigs, gives you "true RTTY".  The rig expects an on/off (MARK / SPACE) modulating signal in that mode.  And it will offset the receive frequency so that the "dial frequency" is the same as the "emitted frequency".

. . . That is _not_ going to work for JT65-HF.

Check the manual (both the rig, and the SB-1000) for instructions on "packet" mode, or "soundcard modes", or "PSK31".  That's what you want for JT-65 HF.

.        Charles

PS -- I suggest that you get PSK31 working, before messing around with JT65-HF.  PSK31 is a really nice "conversational mode", easy to get running.   Lots of activity on 14.070 / USB.  You can get your levels set, and debug the software / interface / rig connections.   JT65-HF has some demanding timing requirements; it's not an easy place to start.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:25:35 AM by VA7CPC » Logged
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the packet button as well but it only toggles between LSB and FM....
The reason I wanted to run JT65-HF was for a demo of the mode in the club. At home my K2 runs all digi modes without a hitch.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »

I don't know your soundcard interface, and I don't know how it connects to the FT-1000.  It sounds like it handles both "soundcard modes" and "true FSK", so it should have connections into both the "packet side" and "RTTY side" of the rig.  But I don't know the details of how to tell both the _interface_ and the _rig_ what you want them to do.

I'll stand by my suggestion:

. . . Get PSK31 working first, and go on from there.

.           Charles

PS -- I have sometimes brought my own rig to ham club demos.  That way, I _know_ what's going on.  Usually, anyway.

PPS -- if you have digital modes working in your own shack, you have the intellectual tools you need to get them working on the FT-1000.  But you're going to have to spend some time with the manual.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:20:34 AM »

I do know that the FT-1000 has a setting to indicate the CW true frequency or user set offset tone. Not sure how that works on RTTY. The rig has true FSK RTTY on rear connection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: