Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest-Style QSOs the Norm Now with Some Ops?  (Read 8859 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »

Actually, one could argue that Walmart's inventory from the Far East is more exotic than your mundane mail from Europe.

How dare you call my QSL card mail "mundane".  Angry

Sorry, my mistake. You have magnificent mail from Europe. I was confused because it looks just like my mundane mail from Europe.

Seriously, I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this. As I said before, if you like cards then have at it.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »

I never found the buro that exciting.  Or, at any rate, too much of the wrong kind.

It was a means to an end and an unreliable one at that.

At least now, you have a prayer of finding out whether the station participates in the buro system.  Then, you just "shotgunned" everything you didn't go direct with and. . .hoped.  Two years was a long time to "hope" and conclude you were wrong again.

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »

At least now, you have a prayer of finding out whether the station participates in the buro system.  Then, you just "shotgunned" everything you didn't go direct with and. . .hoped.  Two years was a long time to "hope" and conclude you were wrong again.

Not necessarily. I can't speak for anyone else, but from my standpoint, I only send outgoing cards to the bureau IF I receive cards from the buro first.  And I reply to all cards received from the incoming bureau...If it's an ATNO, or from an entity I have, but had not worked in a while, or only have one card from, then I send my card direct, with Dxpeditions strictly going out OQRS....So much for "shotgunning"...... Cheesy.......

V
K3NRX
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

Sure, but if you're doing more than the Honor Roll -- anything like 5BWAS, DXCC Challenge -- even (perhaps especially) at the dabbler level, it gets really expensive to go direct for everything.  3000 DXCC Challenge slots is probably 5K US dollars.  Even 2000, perhaps a more realistic goal, is around 3500K (when you account for the fraction of cards with multiple bands).

I used to do a lot of buro at the start of my "career" when I needed "everything" and I'm kind of easing into it selectively again for the non-LOTW participants.

You now do have a much better shot at knowing, from the get-go if the card is futile.

The thing about some of my buro cards is that I've learned that a decent fraction of the time, somebody other DX in the same band-country comes along that is LOTW.  So, the buro card can be rendered obsolete before it makes the round trip even if it does come back.

I cannot, of course, count on it, but it makes me a little less eager to spend four bucks a card for going direct.  I'd sure rather obsolete a buro card than a direct one!

What I am doing, then, with some success is:

1.  Holding my direct cards for about a calendar quarter, maybe a touch more.
2.  Using 'buro' for straight-up band fills if I judge the DX might be a buro participant.  I even selectively mail direct to the DX buro if I have enough cards.

This combination gives me a chance to capture some later LOTW action but also gives me a fair shot at a buro card when there is one that is likely to be had.

The other thing that it does is allow me (especially for in-country DX) to discover multiple bands and consolidate to one card.  I found myself QSLing a lot of the same stations over and over again, sometimes with the second QSO embarrassingly close in time to the first.  Holding on to the card until further "activity" is clear for a quarter or so helps a lot with that one.

It's not like I ever objected to buro cards to start with; I'm still happy to get the ones I want.  It's not like I can always get that later LOTW guy; not hardly.  It's just that the buro was getting to be so small a fraction of my confirmations, I had (with a less patient strategy) eliminated them altogether.

But, way back when, shotgunning made sense because I had basically nothing and there really wasn't a good way to know who was "in" or "out" of the buro and whether it had changed even if you did get some scrap of rumor from someone.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:46:06 PM by WO7R » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: