Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest-Style QSOs the Norm Now with Some Ops?  (Read 6757 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »

I've had several CW QSOs recently not in contests, not a pileup, not rare DX, where the DX station simply states (on CW) "599 tu" and that's it.

Additionally, I've worked some DX stations recently more than once (it's not as if there was a pileup on them) and have received a "QSO before" response without even a signal report (also not in a contest.)  Is it no longer allowable to work some DX more than once? Of course, I'm being facetious.
I guess as a lowly W2, there's not much demand for me.

This behavior seems to have only started within the past couple of years or so.
These were not DXpeditions either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:34:02 PM by W2MV » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »

I think it is because people are relying on pc macros more and more instead of using a key. They have a nice handy macro that says 599 TU.

I am forcing myself to use my iambic keyer more, like in the old days

Mark N1UK
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »

I've run into both of those scenarios. Computer logging makes it easier than ever for any station to know instantly whether he or she has had a QSO previously with another station. Occasionally, I hear a DX station who's trying to maximize the QSOs with unique stations and tells the repeat customers, "Sorry, but we worked before." Not a real common thing but have been hearing this occasionally for a few years.

And I ran into what I call "my own personal contest" behavior a couple of years ago. I heard a U.S. station out west calling CQ. I was in the mood for a nice rag chew and answered him. As soon as the usual signal report, QTH and name info was exchanged, he said, "Thanks for the contact and 73." And that was it. Caught me off guard. I heard him do the same thing to several other stations and all had a reaction similar to mine. A couple even asked him once they got the kiss off, "Is that the end of the QSO? I thought you wanted to talk to someone?"

After being questioned a few times, he explained to another station that he was chasing WAS and had no intention of actually rag chewing with anyone. He just wanted to make QSOs and submit them to LoTW so he could get his WAS award ASAP.

He was a new ham and seemed genuinely surprised when some reacted negatively to his style of operation. Someone finally explained on the air that maybe he should call CQ WAS and somehow let people know during his CQ that he was looking just for short contacts - no rag chews - and was chasing WAS. That would have been a better approach but I don't think he knew any better.

A few months later, this same operator answered a couple of my CQs but since I was looking for a good rag chew, I didn't answer him. No guilt on my part. If I'm in the mood for a nice long conversation, I feel no guilt about not latching on to someone who I know only wants a 45-second QSO.

It does seem like the art of rag chewing is slowly vanishing for some. More and more I have people who answer my CQs and they're good for about 3 transmissions and then after about 10 minutes they're done.  Heck, I'm just getting warmed up at that point. LOL

73, N4KZ

W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »

45 seconds? That would be an eternity to some of those ops!
Yes, I chase DX and rag chew too, but having a QSO with 599 TU after you call, and then the guy is CQing again seems a bit much.

Alan
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »

To each his own.  I never ragchew on CW.  I contest or DX on CW.  If I want to ragchew I pick up the mic.

Normally you can gather whether or not the person ragchews based on the QSO they had before.

If they are calling in your response to your CQ, 599 TU is better than static imho

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »

If a short exchange is not to your liking you could try PSK.  Most PSK operators will give you their age, year licensed, station setup, version of Windows they are running and the name of their logging program Cheesy

Joking aside some DX operator deliberately give a short exchange in order to avoid getting into a ragchew.  Their goal is to build a pileup as quickly as possible and get a good run going.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that if that's the wish of the operator.

Jonathan W6GX
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »

Yes, I chase DX and rag chew too, but having a QSO with 599 TU after you call, and then the guy is CQing again seems a bit much.

I am sort of relieved when they do that because my cw sending is pretty rusty..yes I need to practice more.

Mark N1UK
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »

It runs the gamut. If I answer somebody's CQ and he just sends me 599, I'll come back with 599 and my name, and see where it goes from there. If he says 73 CUL, well, then that's it. But sometimes it can turn into a real chat.

I have been working lots and lots of JA's on 10M after work, and often we'll have long chats about e.g. pics on qrz.com pages or other hams we both know or exchange students or whatever.

The W1AW/portables, most of them start out Tuesday nights (First night for new activation) contest style, but later on in the week-long activation the rates are lower and we often have nice chats. I was very happy to find someone from my hometown activating W1AW/0 Iowa, I didn't know him myself, but we had a little chat about some of the more active hams in my hometown that we had both interacted with.

Tim.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »

As a DXer and contester, I prefer contest-style QSOs, even when I'm running outside of a contest. It keeps me sharp and my ears attuned to pileups, etc. I'll break the style if I hear someone from a QTH I'm familiar with or who I've met at Dayton, etc, but for the most part I'm always trying to keep up rate. I don't want names, QTH, weather, or anything else like that when I've got a nice thick pileup going.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »

As a DXer and contester, I prefer contest-style QSOs, even when I'm running outside of a contest. It keeps me sharp and my ears attuned to pileups, etc. I'll break the style if I hear someone from a QTH I'm familiar with or who I've met at Dayton, etc, but for the most part I'm always trying to keep up rate. I don't want names, QTH, weather, or anything else like that when I've got a nice thick pileup going.

That's the problem with the world today....nobody talks to each other...... Roll Eyes....Had this conversation before....would much rather have a rag chew on phone or at least a short Report-Name-QTH-Rig-Antenna-Weather qso on either CW or phone any day than a 59 C-ya!.....Ain't happening with expeditions and most wanteds, I realize that.....language barriers also are a factor..but I didn't get into this hobby just for 5 second quickies to satisfy an ego, for qso rates, for competition, or for trophies.....

V
K3NRX

P.S. & Pile Ups still SUCK too!...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:31:32 PM by K3NRX » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »

would much rather have a rag chew on phone or at least a short Report-Name-QTH-Rig-Antenna-Weather qso
V
K3NRX

WEATHER??
Ever heard of the Weather Channel, Vince Roll Eyes

(Jus pulling yer chain buddy. hi hi)

73, Gene "I'm not one for idle chatter" AF3Y
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

I have long, interesting conversations with other hams... on Skype or Facebook, or even in person. But hardly on the radio.

Why?

My interest in radio is DXing and contesting, homebrew and little else.

Oh, and the macros. Yes, I shamelessly use them.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »

hometown activating W1AW/0 Iowa, I didn't know him myself, but we had a little chat about some of the more active hams in my hometown that we had both interacted with.

Tim.
Tim,

see from QRZ.COM that you grew up in Muscatine.  Who did you work from there?  I grew up in Davenport and knew a few hams from Muscatine. They sponsor a nice hamfest now in West Liberty. Small world, isn't it?

John AF5CC
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 04:00:41 AM »

would much rather have a rag chew on phone or at least a short Report-Name-QTH-Rig-Antenna-Weather qso
V
K3NRX

WEATHER??
Ever heard of the Weather Channel, Vince Roll Eyes

(Jus pulling yer chain buddy. hi hi)

73, Gene "I'm not one for idle chatter" AF3Y

Geno....Fun stuff here for ya as an example....a couple of weeks ago, I had me a nice qso (real qso, NOT 59 c-ya!) on 17 meters SSB (I love the WARC Bands) with a fellow in Norway.....we got on the subject of the horrid winter here in the Northeast and Midwest.....he responded by saying that where he is in Norway, it never got below freezing all season long....because he's on the west coast where he gets a gulf stream flow of semi-temperate air......flash forward a couple of hours later, and again, I have another nice qso (real qso, NOT 59 c-ya!) with another fellow in Sweden (as you know further inland from our friend in Norway).....again, the wx is the topic of conversation where he proceeds to tell me he's up to his arm pits in snow!......intersting facts about another part of the world that I would not get on the Weather Channel.....or from a 59 C-ya qso....you might not be one for idle radio chit chat, and I don't really expect you "competative" types to get it, but my personal belief is, you are missing out of good conversation, missing out on information about a particular part of the world.... or about how that ham dx's and what equipment he uses.... and maybe even missing out on making a RADIO friend for life......the best part about it is that these over the ocean and through the horizon conversations are on the radio....with two signals being heard by non-stop transmission through the atmosphere.......not on a computer...not on a smart phone...or on Skype....or Facebook...or Twitter...... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue.....that my friend(s) is part of the satisfaction, excitement and mystique of DX......just say'n.....

V
K3NRX

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:21:34 AM by K3NRX » Logged
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 07:01:24 AM »

Amen, brother! I enjoy all aspects of the hobby, but most of all ragchewing with people in far off places. I settle into my chair, fire up the Eimacs, point the antenna and call CQ DX (heaven forbid!).I'm disappointed when the QSO lasts less than 15 minutes, 30-45 min is the norm. I'll talk about almost anything (except health issues!) as long as they can carry their part of the conversation. CW is great for contesting or DXing and I enjoy both, but give me a mike and I'm right in my element.No judgment on operating preferences, to each his own, isn't this a great hobby?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: