Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest-Style QSOs the Norm Now with Some Ops?  (Read 6755 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »

hometown activating W1AW/0 Iowa, I didn't know him myself, but we had a little chat about some of the more active hams in my hometown that we had both interacted with.

Tim.
Tim,

see from QRZ.COM that you grew up in Muscatine.  Who did you work from there?  I grew up in Davenport and knew a few hams from Muscatine. They sponsor a nice hamfest now in West Liberty. Small world, isn't it?

It was Kevin N2AM, in Durant, who I understand to be current and/or past vice president in both Muscatine and Davenport amateur radio clubs.

I got my novice ticket KA0BTD in 1978 at age 10, learning code and electronics at club-sponsored classes at Muscatine Community College.

Tim.
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »

Has anyone had any great QSOs today regarding the cumulus cloud buildup around their QTH, fascinating stuff!
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »

I'll stick with the 599 TU type contacts.

I have no desire to BS with someone/anyone on any mode.
My interest is purely "where can I hear, and where can I be heard"

K.I.S.S.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

I know I am going to be heard but quite often I enjoy having a long chat on the air, maybe for an hour or so.

73 Mark n1UK
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »

Has anyone had any great QSOs today regarding the cumulus cloud buildup around their QTH, fascinating stuff!

No, but Uncle Henry said his cat had diabetes.

Meow! Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »

No, but Uncle Henry said his cat had diabetes.

Meow! Gene AF3Y

and if Uncle Henry is in an exotic part of the world, I am all ears..... Wink.....woof!

V
K3NRX

V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

Hi Jon,

I do not think we got to talk about the clouds, but it was a real great QSO.

I had just finished with a long pile-up and was just kind of surfing the net, and giving an occasional tired CQ when you replied.   I could tell you were really wanting to wind down, as I was in the middle of one of your huge pile-ups earlier in the day, I was unsuccessful I might add.  I know for sure I was ready for more then a 5 second contact.    

I still can not believe we were able to have solid Q5, 30+ minute, VK9 to V4 QSO, on 17m SSB, in the middle of the afternoon, without a single interruption.  In 55 years of Amateur Radio it was my first Christmas Island, plus it was on my Birthday, needless to say "you made my day" and more.  Thanks for the ATNO and the Birthday gift.

I know that my adrenalin battery was definitely recharged, and a QSO I will never forget.

73 and DX,

John   V47JA

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »

It was Kevin N2AM, in Durant, who I understand to be current and/or past vice president in both Muscatine and Davenport amateur radio clubs.

I got my novice ticket KA0BTD in 1978 at age 10, learning code and electronics at club-sponsored classes at Muscatine Community College.

Tim.

I know Kevin well.  Among other things he was my first QSO on 6m.  He also won the grand prize at the 1982 ARRL National Convention when it was in Cedar Rapids.  It was a Collins KWM380.  Now that is a nice grand prize!  I was licensed at age 13 in 1980. My junior high had a club station. We had a HW16 with 5 crystals for the 40m novice band. Those were the days.  Usually run into Kevin on one of the repeaters when we go back to visit family.

73 John AF5CC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »

I agree with KB3LIX about the 599...BUT...99% of my QSO's are DX bandfills and there are often other stations calling the DX.  A ragchew under those circumstances would be against the DX ethos (UNLESS the DX initiated a rag chew).  (And I do some JT65 QSO's, no opportunity for rag chew there Smiley )

The last time I did a ragchew was three weeks ago on 40 CW when I was running QRP late at night with a ham in PA.  I was using MiXW keyboard to see how AFSK CW would sound with 5 watts.  (Worked fine, as long as the ALC was adjusted properly).

Before that, it was a 30 minute RTTY QSO in 2013 with another ham in 7-land.  I can't remember his call, but his web page indicated he was a long-time RTTY operator.  So we had a fantastic chat.

Before that, it was with a VK6 long-path in 2011 when we talked about our dogs.  For a half hour.  Prop was great

So, three rag chews in the last 4 years.  All very enjoyable (because I remember them quite distinctly).  But definitely NOT the norm, for me anyway.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »

At first, like 9 years ago, I wanted to BS.
I honestly thought that was the whole idea of amateur radio.
But I quickly learned that MOST of the old tymers DESPISED
newbies. ABSOLUTELY DESPISED us newbys.
I got read the riot act many, many times for BOTHERING them.

So I gave up.

No sense poking the bear again and again.

I had read an article about contesting, and at first, thought, why
in hell would anyone want to contact a station, exchange a bit
of information, then move on.
It made NO SENSE to me.

But, in retrospect, contesting and contest STYLE operating
was the way to go. No getting friendly or learning too much about
the other guy because he probably despised me in the first place.
Again, why POKE the bear.

So now, it is 59 or 599 and 73, C Ya.

By the way, it has been a FAST 10 years.
I got my renewal reminder from the ARRL a week ago.
I am up for renewal in July.
Have to make sure my CORES password is up to date.

One edit:
The old tymers I am referring to were US ops, NOT DX.
I have found DX guys to be most friendly and polite.
The :PIGS are in the US.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:09:28 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »

Even if it's going to a be sig report and see ya  - why can't the report be realistic? There is no way most of my signal reports should be 59. No way. I have gotten realistic reports but they are few and far between - such as 45 or the like. The signal report is practically meaningless in ham radio anymore.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »

Even if it's going to a be sig report and see ya  - why can't the report be realistic? There is no way most of my signal reports should be 59. No way. I have gotten realistic reports but they are few and far between - such as 45 or the like. The signal report is practically meaningless in ham radio anymore.

If I'm only getting a 5x9 I start troubleshooting. Grin Grin Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »

KB3LIX, it is unfortunate that you went through that.  There will always be jerks in life, glad you did not keep that from enjoying the hobby.

Wish I had known 10 years ago that you were enduring that garbage, I would have offered to help you.  And even though you are a seasoned operator by now, the offer always stands.  For you or anyone else that I can help...as I promised my Elmer back in 1977 when I earned my Novice ticket and he helped me.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »

KB3LIX, it is unfortunate that you went through that.  There will always be jerks in life, glad you did not keep that from enjoying the hobby.

Wish I had known 10 years ago that you were enduring that garbage, I would have offered to help you.  And even though you are a seasoned operator by now, the offer always stands.  For you or anyone else that I can help...as I promised my Elmer back in 1977 when I earned my Novice ticket and he helped me.

Thank You for the offer !

bill
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »

I give realistic reports but let's be real here. Is there any consistent standard for RST? What about your rig's S meter. Think all are the same? Think again. Therefore someone who is S9 one one radio might be S8 on another. So what use is an "honest"report then?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: