Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA and Antenna - What do you think?  (Read 19135 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

I visited Anthem, AZ a few weeks back on a trip through AZ.  It is basically a city created by Del-Mar.  If you want to see what the HOAs do, and how intrusive they can be, visit the Athem website and look at the HOA regulations.

The town is gorgeous, but they have full control over you.

Pete
W5TTW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »

What did they say when you asked them?
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »

I visited Anthem, AZ a few weeks back on a trip through AZ.  It is basically a city created by Del-Mar.  If you want to see what the HOAs do, and how intrusive they can be, visit the Athem website and look at the HOA regulations.

The town is gorgeous, but they have full control over you.

Pete

Yowza!  I read over some of those rules...  And people think NYS is bad.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »

"The town is gorgeous, but they have full control over you."

Which is most likely why the town is gorgeous. I went and read over the CC&Rs as well. Most of them seem pretty reasonable but there are some that go a bit too far in my opinion. For example, one rule states that you can't have a ham radio transmitting or receiving antenna. The problem here is that the rule (most likely written by lawyers who know nothing about ham radio) is all encompassing. It doesn't differentiate between a 60 foot tower with a 40M Yagi and a 1/4 wave 2M whip attached to the back of the house. If a neighbor looks over the fence and sees it and wants to give you a hard time he calls the HOA and you have to take it down. That's where some sort of "reasonable" accommodation makes sense to me. A 60 foot tower with a 40M Yagi is not "reasonable" on those small lots however, a small ground mounted vertical in the back yard or a 2M ground plane on the roof is.

W6FEI

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »

RE:  Reasonable Accommodation,  Maybe we are approaching this all wrong.  The reason Satellite TV was granted an exemption was not through efforts of the consumer to get these antennas accepted and exempted. It was all the Dollars spent by the likes of Dish, Direct TV and Others, for lobbyists and campaign contributions that got the Legislature to approve their antennas in HOA developments.

We should stop relying almost solely on the ARRL.  We should really have the ARRL and other Amateur Radio Organizations try to encourage the likes of Kenwood, Icom, Cushcraft, MFJ and the MANY others that have a commercial and heavily invested Financial interest to promote Ham Radio and Hams ability to use their hobby with a "reasonable limit to antennas".  As more and more Hams move into these restricted HOA's, as is certainly going to happen over time, their ability to sell equipment and antennas is going to drastically decrease. They have the economic power to influence the Legislators to come up with a similar accommodation as PRB-1 did with the local governments. Worth the conversation to consider it.

W6FEI
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The FCC isn't likely to take any action unless Congress pushes the issue.
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »

I'd move.
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »

As per KC2UGV

I read over them too. 
1.  It made me feel like i must be poor white trash
2.  Out of control neighbors have become a huge problem in our cities forcing all these rules on so many neighbors, these places have now become necessary.
3.  It must be a real beautiful sight to behold.  I mean that.
4.  Our homes are becomming "Dwelling Units" thats the term in the document.

Question:  Is this a gated community?  How do you keep the riff raff from driving through your streets, or a ham parking in the drive way with 18 antenaes mounted on the vehicle?
Garage doors must be closed at all times, of course to allow entering and exiting?
Think ill keep my Dwelling Unit here where im at.  Oh crap my garage doors open as we speak.
Thanks
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 04:53:07 AM »

Probably have a regulation to cover parking in the driveway for too long.

New community, bound by new NEC codes, expect more anti-Ham regulations! The new AFCI breakers required in new construction do not tolerate transmitters well, especially Ham. See the AFCI threads under RFI.

Any large developer will want to avoid having Hams turn the neighbors lights off.

KF7CG
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »

Anything in the HOA regs about putting up a low height dog run (NVIS antenna) even though pets may not be allowed?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: