Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay Stupid  (Read 5207 times)
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »

I have made two purchases off QTH and both were good transactions. No problems. Ebay has been ok too. Yes Ebay ham stuff brings higher prices. So sellers prefer to go there. And that combined with convience for buyers is what hurt so many hamfest. And theres built in protection via PayPal. But eyeball qso's, food, and fellowship will keep ham fest alive. And there will always be some gear on the tables for sale, and venders. Oh, and i forgot, People Watching!  You cant get any of that on the WW Web.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »

Ebay has had a remarkable growth rate, and it is a great place for sellers.  Many have made substantial amounts of money via ebay.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »

I don't go to ebay to check prices: I don't buy through ebay; I don't even open their home page.
Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Well, shame on me, but there WON'T be a third time for me!  I'd rather do without than to have anything to do with those people again.  "Buyer Protection"?  Hope you have better experiences than I did (TWICE).
Tom
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »

Ebay has had a remarkable growth rate, and it is a great place for sellers. 

eBay is definitely not a place to let your guard down.  however, my present rig is the nicest rig i have ever owned and was bought by me on eBay.  It is a 2003 Ten-Tec Jupiter and I bought it 3.5 years ago for a buy it now price of $900.  That included shipping, internal auto-tuner, 705 microphone and the CW personality update.

It arrived in near mint condition and was well-packaged as promised.

Yes, I was lucky.  I also contacted the seller to try and gauge the item and its seller.  He was a ham on QRZ and was selling it because it was for a summer cabin and was seldom used.

For me that was serious change, but it felt too good to pass up.  I knew if I waited till a few more bids were made the 'Buy It Now' option would vanish and the price might go sky high so i pulled the trigger. Best ham purchase I ever made.

I have sold several used rigs, keys and accessories via eBay and have only had one bad experience.  Prior to the Jupiter, I bought a Corsair on eBay with PayPal, but then the seller pulled some shenanigans and I contacted eBay then Paypal.  Paypal was able to verify my suspicion that the seller had lied through looking at his transactions with them and they refunded my money.  I mentioned to them that eBay wasn't so helpful and the Paypal employee said that it was always a better to go through them (Paypal) and not through eBay ...

WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »

It is no crime for the seller to try to get as much as possible for the item in question.
It is up to the buyer to determine at what point he/she will stop bidding.
When on EBay, or at any auction, accept the fact that you will be bidding against friends of the seller whose only purpose is to bump up the price.  In the auction business, they are called "shills" and they are at EVERY auction.
As long as there are buyers who bid beyond reason they will be overcharged, sometimes grievously so. 
That's the way it goes.

WB2EOD
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »

Have bid about a dozen times and always quit. Hope I left the shills holding the bag.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 06:26:06 AM »

There is nothing wrong with Ebay as long as you have a little gray matter in your skull and some common sense. Entering an auction you must have a goal price in mind and have the resolve to stick to it and bid no further. You also have to do your homework on what the actual value of what you are bidding on. A little homework goes a long, long way. The stupidity comes in when people enter an auction without any notion of the value of what they are bidding on and the mindset that they "absolutely have to have it". Buying is an emotional process and if you have difficulty controlling your emotions, Ebay is no place for you.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

It got into a bidding war at the very end. There was no way I was going to lose.

Ah, give yourself some slack.....we've all been there once or twice!

WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »

Have bid about a dozen times and always quit. Hope I left the shills holding the bag.

Shills rarely get stuck.  They know when to stop bidding as opposed to impulsive buyers who do not

WB2EOD
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »

I never concern my self with shills or
.we've all been there once or twice!

I've never seen anything that I wanted so bad to exceed my maximum amount for a bid.  My philosophy: Let'm have it!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:25 AM »

Didn't Kenny Rogers sing a song about eBay, something about knowing about when to hold and when to fold?
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »

There is a moron born every day. Check out what some nut paid for a J38 key on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-LIONEL-J-38-MORSE-CODE-TELEGRAPH-KEY-f-HAM-RADIO-TRANSMITTER-U-S-ARMY-/140918214150?pt=US_Code_Keyers_Keys&hash=item20cf614e06&nma=true&si=fUzLbhQlHXgSjMrqrX0C0I8EAcc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

I've always wondered if it was true and whether the deal actually went through.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »

JKA:  Yep!  Ya gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. 

Another one is, "Never play another man's game."  (You'll lose every time)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

I consider myself pretty good at getting good deals on eBay.  My tactic is simply to be patient, set a goal of acquiring the item for close to half the original value and to understand the sellers and the lies they are most time spouting.
It's not to my benefit to go into too much detail but suffice to say that what I have noticed is a systematic level of corruption on eBay by the big sellers that is designed to make sure they get insane prices for everything they sell.

My Rule number one is never ever buy from a big seller, you are never going to get a deal, even if it looks like a deal you are most likely going to get screwed!   Case in point, one of my first eBay experiences was buying a piece of industrial machinery from a large electronics seller.  Every one else sold this item for around $2000.  This guy had three of them selling for $3000 in a lot.  Wow this looked great, the item looked exactly the same, the model number was the same and he said at least 2 units worked.  I figured just buy the three, repair the bad one and sell two back on eBay for $3000 and I get one for free.  

The items arrived and they looked great, but they do use some materials that need replenishing, so I call the company and order the items.  The stuff comes, I try to insert the cartridge and it wont fit!  I call the company and they ask me what model I have and I say something like "L376".  He says look at the serial number, what number is it. I tell him and he says Oh that a older version, we stopped making cartridges for those 8 years ago!  I said to the guy, but it looks exactly like your current model and the model number is the same, why didn't you change the model number.  He says "I have no idea, I just work in tech support".   So I ended up with three boat anchors, luckily I was able to find an old cartridge shell and use the materials from a new one to refill it and get one working, so at the end of the day we just lost $1000 and had two boat anchors lying around.  I refused to sell them on eBay, I am just not into the business of scamming people.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: