Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay Stupid  (Read 5646 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

I broke this post into two.

The latest thing I see happening on eBay is the Fake auctions that are designed to make people think an item is worth a whole lot more than it really is.  Case in point I was looking for an IFR 1200S and 1500 station monitors and I of course saw the typical insane pricing on the units, working units going for $1800-$2000 and non working units going for typically $950 - $1300

All of this IMO was being driven by this constant list of units being sold by large electronic dealers that are always asking for $5000 for the same units.  You would think it's a joke but in fact it's a ploy to keep the public thinking the value of the item is a steal at $1800 because most of the other auctions you see are asking for $5K.

Look at this:
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/IFR-FM-AM-1500-Communication-Service-Monitor-/150625659652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311fd2b04#ht_3883wt_1134

Now look at the (OFFER) history to the right of the picture.  Notice that offers have been made on this item all the way back from 2012.  This item has been listed and re-listed for 2 years, they have no intention of selling it, they are just using it as a Prop.  I have seen this kind of thing done with almost all hot selling expensive electronic items.  And BTW I did get a 1500 and I only paid $500 for it on eBay.  IMO that's about what its worth.

Another quick tip, if you see a large company selling something like a 1990's agilent spectrum analyzer and they say it's not working but they have no idea what is wrong.  Take a quick look at what else they are selling.  I will bet you find that they are selling 2 more of these units and one or both of the other ones is working fine.  The one that your thinking of buying at a good price has been scraped, they used three units to make one or two units and that cheap one your getting contains every bad board from the other two.
KE4RPX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »

Re: KB2FCV, "This is very true. I've been caught up in the action as well. Below is a picture of my shack. There is a knife switch in line with my antenna. It is a vintage switch with a slate base - perfect size for 600 ohm feedline. I had to have it. So did somebody else. It got into a bidding war at the very end. There was no way I was going to lose. I think I wound up paying almost 200 dollars for it in the end, but I had to have it as it was absolutely perfect for what I wanted (and it looked good too!!). I'll bet had I found it in a fleamarket or antique store I would have paid $20 or so.. who knows? I'm happy with it."

First, nice shack! 

I too just had to have that same knife switch.  I learned they were used in B-29s during WWII and since my Dad had been in a 29 unit on Saipan, I thought it would be a great way to have a piece of history and do wonders for my ladder line and radios during storms, etc.   Like you, I looked on eBay, Craigslist, all the amateur sites and everywhere these units were way overpriced for my budget or else I just missed one that had sold for dirt cheap.  So, on a trip to a local lamp shop for a $3 switch, I struck up a conversation with the shop owner.  He made exquisitely beautiful knives and we talked about that.  He also had all kinds of electrical paraphernalia, so just before I walked out the door, I went back and asked, "Oh by the way, I'm looking for a knife switch, etc.  I drew it on a piece of paper.  Turns out he had exactly what I was looking for and I got it for $40  [Made by GE, # TC3821,  30A, 250V]
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »

I TOTALLY agree with the previous post.
It irritates me to no end to see these "PROFESSIONAL" test equipment companies sell in one listing a "CALIBRATED" device and in another the exact same gear as an "UNTESTED" device. And this is not just your simple 100MHz signal generators. It takes some pretty serious equipment and more than a rudimentary knowledge of the device to do a true cal on a 26.5GHz Spectrum Analyzer. They can't turn it on and see what it does?Huh Obviously damaged goods. I sell quite a bit on eBay, test it to the limits you can, honestly describe it and present it that way. Calibrated, Working but needs a cal, Marginally working with this and that wrong, Not working but repairable or just a parts instrument. Some people are truly challenged to be honest. I just don't get it.

Okay, I ranted and raved. Back to my hole.  Grin
Paul W4QG
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »

SO TRUE ! but i did get a nice Ten Tec on EBay at a reasonable price, i waited to see if it would go into the Stratosphere of Idiot price range, when it did not i waited some more and outbid it at the end . Now with those Knife Switches - people are nuts about them - some kind of Zombie -Frankenstein Fad thing going on - i am staying away from them on Ebay !  I just got back into our hobby, after many years, my CW Key happened to be an Ugly Navy Flameproof Straight Key- they are going for sky high costs today, so i wait , i really liked using that particular key ,not for collection -BAH ! 73s and 2s, KF5ZYB 
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: