Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CRAIGSLIST STUPID!  (Read 4311 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »

Got a BlackBerry Q10 for Christmas.  Way too much phone for me and my needs. 

So I posted it on CraigsList.  Cash only.  Pick-up only.

I get a reply asking if I can come down on the price.  He doesn't have a car and would have to commute out to the O'Hare area to pick-up the phone.

"You should have considered the commute sooner.  It's your problem, not mine."

Never had fec al matter like that from a ham buyer.

N9LCD

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »

I have a pair of Kenwood Twins I will be selling soon so I checked eBay to see if anyone was selling a pair,  to see what they might go for.   In the ad, the seller stated back in 1977 these sold for 1100 dollars.  I watched in amazement at the bidding war and he sold them for over 1000 dollars.
Another time, I saw an SWR meter for sale, priced within 10 bucks of a brand new one, and I sent the seller a note stating such.  I basically got an FU reply, about what I expected.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

Yeah, it seems that no matter what you put down as the only way you'll sell it, there are people who will ask you to do otherwise.  I had that happen to me too.  I had said cash only and meet anywhere in my city.  They called and asked "can you deliver it to...."  (a place about thirty miles away) 

I simply asked if the person could read and understand English.  When they said yes, I ask them why they didn't understand what I posted --and hung up on them!  Yes, I finally sold it a few days later--at my terms.
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »

I was selling a hw16 on ebay several years ago. A NO RESERVE auction. Three days later i got a question from a bidder. The auction had reached about 75.00. The question was " dear seller, do you think you are asking to much for this old of a radio? I think you are, would you consider less?  And no he was not from a foreign country. I thought maybe he was. I tried to be nice, but kind of failed sort of.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

It is no crime for the seller to ask for an outrageously high price.
It is up to the buyer to determine the fair market value of what he/she is looking to buy. 
With all the auctions and swap boards on the internet, it shouldn't be too hard to get some idea of what is a fair price. 
As long as there are buyers who don't bother to do price research, they will be overcharged, sometimes grievously so.
I'll be honest, as a buyer, I have overpaid, as a seller, I have overcharged.  That's the way it goes.

WB2EOD

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »

I was selling a hw16 on ebay several years ago. A NO RESERVE auction. Three days later i got a question from a bidder. The auction had reached about 75.00. The question was " dear seller, do you think you are asking to much for this old of a radio? I think you are, would you consider less?  And no he was not from a foreign country. I thought maybe he was. I tried to be nice, but kind of failed sort of.

When I sold my K2, I had a reserve set for it. My K2 was fully loaded with pretty much every option. I think I set the reserve a little below what it what it would cost to buy everything new as a kit. A bidder asked me the reserve. I indicated what I had it set at. They guy proceeded to sent me several emails (through ebay) stating I was way off base for asking that sort of price, that the price was way too high. He thought I was nuts. The guy actually resorted to name calling (at that point I stopped replying to him). My K2 wound up selling for about $150 MORE than the reserve price (I don't think the guy who contacted me ever even bid on it..). So there. I took the high road and never emailed him back to rub it in.. it did feel good though to see it go more than the reserve and put him in his place (I'm sure he was watching the auction to see how it turned out). It's an auction.. that's generally the way they work. Sometimes people will pay more than the item is worth if more than one person really wants it. I'm guilty of being one of those people at times.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »

FCV:  Congratulations on two things.  One, for getting a good price for your rig and Two, for not bowing to the pressure from the one 'buyer.'

His tact is very similar to that used by high pressure salespeople.  The purpose is to simply break you down by making you feel stupid or inferior in some way.  You'd be surprised how often this sales method is used. 

As you can see it is used for buying as well as selling.  The best thing to do is simply ignore their communications or reply one time saying, "This is the price I want.  Take it or leave it."  These people seldom play nice.  Don't you.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

I just watched an Ameritron ALS-600 sell on Ebay for more than the cost of a new one from DX engineering!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »

Money Laundering 101.

Buyer sends a PayPal transfer to Seller.
Seller ships Nothing; already received illegal items; or a box of US Dollars to Buyer.
There was no amplifier for sale.
=== Automobiles/Trucks and their parts, with their higher monetary value,
are another favorite ghost auction item.

BitCoin is new method for underground economy..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:15:08 PM by W9GB » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »

My response, "I didn't place the $75 bid, someone who wanted it did. If you want it bid more"
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »

Clif:  Very good answer!  I always try to be polite but once it's gets nasty.......

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:02:56 AM by K8AXW » Logged
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »

Most people in the US have no idea how to negotiate a transaction.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »

JEG:  You are so right!!  This is one of the things I love about hamfests.  The haggling.  I seldom pay asking price for anything at a hamfest.

I received one of my greatest compliments at a hamfest one year.  I had two tables full of good stuff but was stuff I just had to get rid of.  My neighboring seller also had two tables of stuff to get rid of.

When people came by I would try to call them in and suggest they couldn't go home without something I had and then if they were interested the haggling started.  All in good fun.  At the end of the day I had to load very little to take home whereas my neighbor loaded almost everything he brought for the return trip.

He then asked if he could ask me a question.  I said, "sure."  He then asked, "Did you ever work in a carnival?"   

Vendors in many countries are insulted if you pay the asking price.  They love the haggling as well the actual sale.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 02:47:59 AM »

Most people in the US have no idea how to negotiate a transaction.
    And a lot of people have so much money that they don't bother to negotiate.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:52 AM »

Re: ONAIR  reply #13

This argument can go on forever, your response could also say a lot of people have more money than the brains to negotiate with. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: