Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just ordered a K3  (Read 2988 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »

Can't wait for it now...  Had to tell someone!  Ordered the K3, second RX, a few filters, the voice recorder, etc...  Should be here in a week or so...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:07:18 AM »

The best feeling is when you sell a k3, sorry I just sold mine and had to tell some one.

Good luck with your dream station and hope you enjoy it . Make sure you have a nice set of head phones and  external speakers. The Bose brand work best for this rig at my shack. Elecraft will have it to you quickly. Put your feet up and wait for your delivery. Read the manual while your waiting
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:07 AM »

Re: KC8IIR

Your response begs the question of why did you buy the K3 in the first place?
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »

I really love my K3.  Normally I build a lot of my own equipment and also tend to convert older stuff for operating convinience.  I've never traded up very much to the latest and greatest but recognize that there comes a time when the Caddilac of yesteryear needs replacing.

So the ol' TR-7 which I've used from everything from an antenna pruner (low pwr SWR method) to a 10 to 20 watt carrier generator for a much larger transmitter was starting to show its age, not to mention the desire of today's ham for exact frequencies with subsequent channelization.  Everyone knows that putting a heat generating digital read-out board in what was originally designed for analog readout causes warm up wandering.  One digit past the decimal, charming as it was in '81, didn't help either.  So, what rig to get?

Amazing reviews of the K3 when it came out along with finding design information from w4zcb, the British connection,  and early development of the digital IF section helped comvince me. Sherwood's stats more than helped too.  The option of using only the 10 or so watt PA as a stand alone, reasonably clean carrier or even fully modulated SSB or AM (2.5 W carrier) looked pretty nice too. Well I did get the 100 watt PA and internal tuner, um hm.

A lot of us want to start our K3's in minimal garb, but as the catalog and fellow hams' experience grab us, nothing but a full blown, tricked out K3 will be enough when the final "buy" box is clicked.  I resisted that urge...  Um, yeah, well everything but the second receiver and VHF boxes.  Building the kit was a blast.  Never have I seen such a neat and solid case, almost monocoque after the 2D connectors made what were just flat pieces of metal into a tight tolerance monolithic shell.  Amazing. 

The receiver is pretty darn nice, even 10 years or so after the original design.  I've coupled it with a QS1R via QsCat, etc. and can compare both, use the transmit function and T/R relay of the K3.  Just having only two "main" transceivers in decades hasn't arrested my other experimental interest. A few things have been toasted along the way too.  ...don't ask Wink

Menus took some getting used too.  All the possibilities and multiple functions, audio tayloring, memories, macros, etc I may use eventually.  Some functions are not intuitive, but some functions are very usable, and hardly thought of in previous eras.  Switching from from front  panel electric mike (biased) to rear panel dynamic, (non - biased) has been pretty neat. 

Well I could go on and on, ...  Price point compared to the "K3 killer" TS-590 has just increased the sales for both.  Both are fine, one more ultimately expandable, one with microwave case, one with monolithic case, etc.  Your money on a k3 goes into a fine innovative product, eminently copyable it seems.

KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »

Like everyone else, I like fine radio equipment. I bought it with the intent to sell my ftdx9000mp if it was a better radio.
I wanted some of my desktop real estate back because there yaesu takes a lot of space. The k3 is different, it did not fit my operating style.
That is why I sold it. It did not bring me joy when I operated it. I enjoy the kx3 more than the k3.

Individual preference  is everything. Other say its the best rig ever. Who's to argue with their personal operating likes.

Greg kc8iir
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »

Like everyone else, I like fine radio equipment. I bought it with the intent to sell my ftdx9000mp if it was a better radio.
I wanted some of my desktop real estate back because there yaesu takes a lot of space. The k3 is different, it did not fit my operating style.
That is why I sold it. It did not bring me joy when I operated it. I enjoy the kx3 more than the k3.

Individual preference  is everything. Other say its the best rig ever. Who's to argue with their personal operating likes.

Greg kc8iir

I still have my Pro III, and will A/B them...  I suspect teh K3 will win, but it will make me feel better to actually see the difference, as opposed to reading about it.

Thanks,
Dave
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »

The transmit side of the k3 is flawless and maby bullet proof. The filtering is nice, the side to side rejection from adjacent station is super.
I look forward to your new post after you compare the 2.  I think you will be surprised how well the pro 3 does on everything but the filtering against the k3.

I can say one thing for sure, used k3s last 5 hours on the classified board. Large following looking for a nice rig. I still prefer my anan and the yaesu
Purely from a operators point of view.

Greg kc8iir
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:44:18 AM »

The transmit side of the k3 is flawless and maby bullet proof. The filtering is nice, the side to side rejection from adjacent station is super.
I look forward to your new post after you compare the 2.  I think you will be surprised how well the pro 3 does on everything but the filtering against the k3.

I can say one thing for sure, used k3s last 5 hours on the classified board. Large following looking for a nice rig. I still prefer my anan and the yaesu
Purely from a operators point of view.

Greg kc8iir
Thanks Greg, I most likely will post review and compare to my web site... 

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: