Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting an HF antenna on a truck.  (Read 1315 times)
AC9FM

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »

Hi all,
So I'm working on getting an HF rig into my truck and after searching the web (some good info and some questionable) my plan is for a long whip antenna (102" variety) with a very closely mounted EDX-2 antenna tuner. Primary use will be 10-40M and I'll add some length when camping to help the 40M performance. So my question is in the mounting and is it better to mount on the back bumper and have some shadowing of the truck bed, or to shorten the antenna and mount it on the bed lip, or possibly mount it on the side of the rear fender. I want to keep the tuner as close to the antenna as possible which of course just complicates it.

And I still have no idea how I'll get this in my garage :-) other than to strap it over each time or use a quick disconnect.
I'll probably opt for a QD which would also allow me to add length when camping.

So I'm wondering what solutions other truck owners have come up with for mounting long antennas.

Thanks
Ernie
AC9FM
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »

I mounted mine on the left rear corner stake pocket using a stake pocket mount with a long delrin insulator. The tuner mounts inside the bed right next to the mount. The total length of feed line is about 8-inches. One thing to remember is that with a 102 inch whip on 40M the impedance (and thus the voltage) at the feed point will be very high. Normal ball-mount insulators can arc over from high voltage.

Take a look at the mounts and high voltage insulators at http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »

Not sure which truck you have and posting that might help others.

I had a Ridgeline and was prepared to purchase a bar the spanned across the bed, directly behind the window of the truck.  This bar would have held several antennas, so 2M, etc. would have been covered.  It would have worked great, except I sold the truck.  Work provided me with an Explorer, so I have a magnet 2M on the roof, then mounted an HS Sidekick with a rear hatch lip mount.  Honestly, it's pretty solid, but I always think about it and want something to catch or support it, if the mount should come lose without my knowledge.  I give it a tug every time I enter the truck.
AC9FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:52:18 AM »

AA4BP - Thanks, the geotool stake pocket mount looks like a good option and very solid mount. I have a soft cover on the back so I'll have to "modify" that clear the antenna and pocket mount. But that seems reasonable. I think most states have 13 1/2 ft height clearance recommendation and the 8 1/2 ft antenna mounted there would be right at the 13 1/2 ft limit. Just right  Grin

BTW - The truck is a 2008 short bed single cab RAM 1500. Yea, it's a Hemi  Grin
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »

http://qrz.com/db/N6AJR?ref=1261711689

check it out
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: