Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning around your Rigs  (Read 2736 times)
W8RID

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »

Just curious, was wondering how you guys "Clean the dust" and other stuff from on and around your rigs without taking everything apart? Huh

I know people use the "compressed air in the cans" others use the "Swiffer" things. What works for you?

Bob
W8RID
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »

I should buy stock in a company that makes canned air as I go through the cans so quickly. I use canned air for this purpose and I do it often to prevent heavy dust buildup.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »

I use a paint brush to brush the dust off front panels.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »

Swiffer (sp?) for all dusting.  They are great!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

An old toothbrush is ideal for cleaning the control knobs.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »

I agree with WI8P.  I've been using the Swiffer ever since they came out and I tried them around the house.  (Wife not well.....I need all the help I can get)  I was astounded at the effectiveness of the Swiffer.

I even tried to write it up for Hints and Kinks in QST but ARRL wouldn't have it.

Guaranteed:  If you wipe you gear down with a Swiffer, it will all look like new. 

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »

yup, I use the little duster gizmo's ( I don't know if they are swiffer brand or endust or what) and I also use canned compressed air.  I also use canned air to help cool the rig down in the middle of a cotest or such. Hitting them withe a blast of air every day helps keep them cleaner
.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

I use my Rigid shop vac with a soft brush head attachment on it. It works great and is a very strong vacume. Kiss
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »

Canned air is great if you take a rig outside to blow the dust out.  But, for in the shack, I mainly use the Swiffer Dusters.  Much easier to control the dust than with canned air.  That dust goes everywhere!

Terry, WØFM
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

I use a paint brush to brush the dust off front panels.

You stole my line. Cheesy

As long as they haven't been used for actual painting, brushes make GREAT microbrooms.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

I use a paint brush or a duster (although my last duster broke.. I think I may try the swiffer as most of you are writing about here..). I also use a shop vac from time to time as needed. I hate dusty radio equipment. Sometimes a little simple green on a rag for a wipe-down on the tops of stuff.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »

Be very cautious using a vacuum cleaner, especially if it has a great deal of suction.  A vacuum cleaner will sometimes suck off push-on knobs, distort plastic windows and other things.

They also, quite often, generate static electricity which can mess up a meter, at least temporarily.  I never use a vacuum cleaner inside a computer or inside gear that uses LSI or other static sensitive chips.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »

Agreed on the vacuum cleaner. It gets used around / behind the radio (used on the desk itself) to get or spiderwebs / dust bunnies but never on the radio itself.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 05:34:19 AM »

This is what I have and use.  There are kits available for vacuum cleaner attachment for cleaning computer keyboards and other small areas.  They're essentially hose reducers that have a hose extension that is about 1/2 inch in diameter with an adapter collar to attach to a regular vacuum, and the kit has attachable dust brushes, crevice tools and others. 

I got it because it was handy to clean out inside computer cases I was working on--much better than using a small paintbrush and a regular vacuum cleaner attachment.  The dust and dirt doesn't get blown all over, and small knobs and button/button covers can't be sucked into the small tools.  YMMV, but it works well for me.  73!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »

I'm particularly cautious about cleaning around the speaker grill of my IC-7200, I find the less I clean it the quieter the receiver section gets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: