Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transceiver or Receiver  (Read 12501 times)
N0JOY

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

I haven't had an HF radio for a long time. I would like to get back into amateur radio, maybe more SWListening. When it comes to just listening, is a base transceiver better at listening or just buy a receiver?Huh
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »

surely if you buy a quality receiver such as a "Built SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF Receiver" for less than 100USD you may save a lot of money (it requires a soundcard with a stereo line-in input). I mean really a lot!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »

A transceiver will generally work as well for copying ham transmissions as a separate receiver. However, the transceiver (unless its an expensive one) will likely suffer in performance in receiving short wave broadcasts. On the other hand, if you want to get back into amateur radio then you will need a transceiver anyway.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:58:58 AM »

After much research and trying out various options to replace my ageing FRG 7700 SW receiver I ended up with an IC-7200 which doubles as a back up for my QRP rigs.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »

I use my TS-570 transceiver for talking on HF and for SWL ing.  It works great for SWL.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

I'm not a ham....

....But if I were interested in getting into ham radio, and still wanted to SWL, and had opportunity to buy a transceiver at a decent price, I'd go that way.  Because the ham rig would probably have features more useful for monitoring the ham bands, and because it would be cheaper in the long run.  If you look at the specs on a lot of the ham rigs, they're pretty comparable to the tabletop SW DX radios.

WRTH had a couple reviews of ham transceivers being used as SWL DX radios (one of their issues in the early 2000's); I think they compared the Icom R75 to the Icom ham rig that is similar to it (I don't remember the model #) and the results were fairly comparable. 
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

If you buying a shortwave radio today the best technology is the direct sampling SDR radios. Radios like the Perseus and the Winradio G31DDC

Tuning a knob is really old hat these days if you SWL'er The ability to use a stored frequency list is a huge time save and you can get in much more shortwave listening time by using  automated tuning. It also makes checking the bands with the best signal strength very easy. A added bonus is that the S-meters on these SDR radios are very accurate so you can get a very accurate idea of how good propagation is.

The ability to record the spectrum and audio to the PC is a big bonus, especially if you a low band DX'er.

SDR radios are the preferred tool of the modern shortwave listener. The specifications exceed the receiver specifications of ALL current ham radio transceivers.

If you do want the ultimate shortwave radio the only choice is the R&S receivers.

http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/home_48230.html

Just dont ask the price,  they expensive but thats the ultimate receiver available today for governments  and the spooks. If you do buy one can you get me one as well?
I would like the one with all options.

I haven't had an HF radio for a long time. I would like to get back into amateur radio, maybe more SWListening. When it comes to just listening, is a base transceiver better at listening or just buy a receiver?Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: