Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590s New and Improved?  (Read 8657 times)
AD0GI

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »

Can anyone here speak to the quality of the TS-590s made this year with a Serial Number of B4100001 or later?

These newer models are supposed to have had the ALC Overshoot issue resolved and I am wondering if this also took care of the power spike on initial transmit and lower SSB talk power than other 100W rigs.

And finally, I am wondering if there are any other changes in performance and/or quality of these newer models.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »

Can anyone here speak to the quality of the TS-590s made this year with a Serial Number of B4100001 or later?

These newer models are supposed to have had the ALC Overshoot issue resolved and I am wondering if this also took care of the power spike on initial transmit and lower SSB talk power than other 100W rigs.

And finally, I am wondering if there are any other changes in performance and/or quality of these newer models.

The following was posted to the TS590 Yahoo Group on April 2nd, stating that a fix has been incorporated into new units with SN B4100001 onwards:

Thu Apr 3, 2014 11:26 am (PDT) . Posted by: rdehli Hello.
This info just showed up on the other TS-590 group:

w6gps

Message 1 of 9 , Today at 5:17 PM
Expand Messages

0 Attachment

Here is info I got from one of my Kenwood dealers and I wanted you all to get the word:

Attention all Kenwood Dealers,
We understand that there are TS-590S owners that are still having problems with the ALC spike issue, even after a firmware upgrade lowered the spike. If you have a customer with an amp that is shutting off and going into standby please share this info with them. The radio must be sent to a Kenwood Service center for the modification, it takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete and takes several parts, it is not doable by the end user.

There is no charge for this modification, in or out of warranty.

Kenwood will pay the return shipping from the service center.
The owner pays for shipping to the service center, and we take care of the rest!
The U.S. service centers will be ready to perform the modification in late April.
Serial number range: B09xxxxx to BC3xxxxx

From SN B4100001 the modification has been applied.
Thanks for your support.
Kenwood USA

Here is the Service Centers information for Amateur Radio Products
KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - PACIFIC
19501 East Walnut Drive South
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91748
Phone: 626-333-2443
http://fthgroupinc.com http://fthgroupinc.com/

KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - EAST
829 LYNNHAVEN PARKWAY #130
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23452-7224
Phone: 757-340-1702
http://www.avsl.net http://www.avsl.net/

Don W6gps

PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

Hi AD0GI

I would wait a while before buying an TS590, and wait for more posts on the Yahoo group of people whom have the update done and or whom are having the latest version with the update out of factory.

73 Jos
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

A smarter move from Kenwood would be to stop making the TS590S. Release a new TS590S with a 50 volt PA and a inbuilt power supply. They can use the parts from the TS990S. Kenwood would have a huge hit. A midsize affordable radio   with high performance. It would be a good replacement for the TS850S with much better performance.

If Kenwood do want to be innovative they should produce a 500 watt mobile radio  with the same form factor as the TS480HX. A 500 watts TS480HX would be a popular radio.
If they included a decent 50 volt FET PA with a RFI quiet  12 volt tp 50 volt DC to DC converter it would be very popular.

The TS590S has  such a good receiver  its shame it has such a lousy 12  volt PA with such poor IMD. The PA brings this radio down to the cheap and nasty level.

KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »

Very easy for you to say that Kenwood should re design a final amp section of there current top selling radio, you may have never worked in manufacturing for a radio company before cause a whole lot has to be changed, its not just changing the final but that whole back end of the rig has to be re designed, new boards, new bill of materials, R&D plus final testing before it goes to market. I really gotta laugh at these smart ass comments from hams who have no friggin clue what it takes to make what they think are small changes. Plus if Kenwood did do a re design of the PA my bet is the radio would push over the $2K price range and right now the street price of $1410 well that allot of bang for the buck.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »

I think the power limit in Japan is 400W so a 500W mobile could not be sold in japan.
Then your talking about 500W with massive DC to DC converters plus all the heat sinks, fans etc in one Mobile unit. Seriously Zenki how would you fit that into a 480 form factor?
So let's say the control head is the same size and the rest of the massive beast is in your trunk, who is going to pay probably $3500 for a mobile rig?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:25:04 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »

I think the HF mobile power limit is 50 watts.

Legal limit in Japan is 1kw

A DC to DC converter that uses switchmode technology can be  built  very small. They readily available as OEM equipment. 

Since this will be a remote head radio with a main body that will replace say a 100 watt radio body and a 500 watt amplifier like the ALS500 or SGC power cube, the total
form factor of a  radio  that was 500  watts of output would be smaller than the combined radio and amplifier mess. If you have not seen this done look at the Harris, Micom and R&S military HF mobile radios that have this small form factor. If you take away the mil ruggedness package Kenwood could easily build this radio in a similar form fact to the TS480HX if it ran on 48 or 100 volt plus fets.

Marine Radio companies like JRC and Kodan have been producing 500 watt marine HF radios in this configuration for a long time now. They run off 24 volts and have a DC/DC converter or a 240 power supply. Heck you  can even be brave  and buy  1kw compact 240 volt inverters very cheaply these  days.   The good ones are very small.

The real problem now is that mobile HF radio seems to be declining because of the noise pollution in most big cities. Even bands like 20 meters can be covered in hash. So who knows if the market is big enough.   The ham radio market place is bordering on doom or die so who knows whether any company has the resources for such a gamble. Maybe HF remote via internet in the mobile will be more popular with the wide availability of cheap mobile internet.

I think the power limit in Japan is 400W so a 500W mobile could not be sold in japan.
Then your talking about 500W with massive DC to DC converters plus all the heat sinks, fans etc in one Mobile unit. Seriously Zenki how would you fit that into a 480 form factor?
So let's say the control head is the same size and the rest of the massive beast is in your trunk, who is going to pay probably $3500 for a mobile rig?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »

A smarter move from Kenwood would be to stop making the TS590S. Release a new TS590S with a 50 volt PA and a inbuilt power supply. They can use the parts from the TS990S. Kenwood would have a huge hit. A midsize affordable radio   with high performance. It would be a good replacement for 850.

This 12v IMD issue is greatly over played. What you can get in controlled lab condition vs field and with reduced output driving a amp is completely different. It would not be cost effective for 590 to have 50v finals as it would drive price above 2000. Also on a 500 watt mobile, dumb idea because rig would need a 100 Amp feed and have to be a LOT larger and noisier to shed 500+ watts of heat.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »

I sent my TS-590S to Kenwood Service Center East in Virginia Beach, VA for the free "ALC Upgrade" program on June 16.  I received the return shipment - in exactly the same aesthetic condition (no scratches, mars, etc. I might add) - on June 25.  The ALC overshoot and spike on initial "dit" or PTT is totally gone.  In fact, the 1st "dit" waveform now looks like the 2nd "dit" waveform in the QST Review, or also analogous to the 1st "dit" waveform of the Ten-Tec Eagle... Checked with my o-scope after receipt from the Service Center.  The techs also checked my unit for the rather infamous F901 issue (a non-issue on my unit), fully aligned the unit, and updated the firmware to V1.08.  My only out-of-pocket cost was the Ship To: cost to Va Beach from Illinois.  I am extremely pleased with their professionalism, the turn around time of the update, and the Service Center's communications.

My 590 never had a SSB output or "talk power" problem, as it always put out 100W or slightly more on all bands checking it with my Telepost LP-100A peak-reading wattmeter.  The same is true after the update.

And, Zenki... Give it a rest regarding 3rd Order IMD products, et. al.!  No company is going to redesign an existing product to implement a 50V final PA, and an inboard SMPS.  It just isn't going to happen, as not only is it not cost-effective, it's poor marketing.  A different and newer model perhaps, but not to update an existing model.  But, wait, as you stated Kenwood does have exactly what you're looking for... It's called the TS-990S, and I'm blessed to have one of those too.

Kudos to Kenwood for finally addressing the ALC overshoot/spike problem.  The ALC Upgrade program is for all in-warranty and out-of-warranty TS-590S transceivers, and it's my understanding existing inventory in the distribution channel includes the hardware upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:26:49 PM by W9CW » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »

Received my 2011-vintage '590 back from Kenwood East Service Center today (August 1st).

Excellent turn-around:

I shipped it to them on Monday July 21st -- and UPS delivered it on Wednesday the 23rd.

Kenwood logged it into their system on Friday the 25th -- completed the work on Monday the 28th (discounting the intervening weekend, two-day turn-around they had estimated) and shipped it back on the 30th.

Eleven days round trip.

They did the Power Spike mod, installed the latest firmware (1.08), aligned the radio and tested it to spec -- which rectified a long-standing issue of slightly-low (90 watts) rf output.

All -- No Charge.

I'm a happy guy!  Smiley

Mel -- KS2G
KJ4GZI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

I did not see anything on Kenwood's page about sending my 590 back for an upgrade. Could you point me to the information about this?
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »

I did not see anything on Kenwood's page about sending my 590 back for an upgrade. Could you point me to the information about this?

There's nothing on the Kenwood web site about it.
Dealers were notified back in April, and info was posted on the TS-590 Yahoo Group.
See my Reply #1 in this thread.

Just send your '590 via insured UPS to either of the Kenwood Service Centers.
No advance contact or RMA required.

Kenwood Service Center West
17300 Marquardt Ave.
Cerritos, CA 90703
562-483-8740 phone
562-483-8749 fax

Kenwood Service Center East
829 Lynnhaven Parkway, Suite 130
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
757-340-1702 phone
757-340-6809 fax

Send only the radio -- no power cord, microphone or other accessories.

There's no charge for the Power Spike (ALC Overshoot) fix, and they install the latest firmware (1.08) and go over the radio to bring it to factory specs free of charge, including return shipping.

If there's anything else required that entails a charge, they will contact you.

Note: The radio will be returned with all menus returned to Factory Default, so you may want to save (and then restore) your menu settings using the free ARCP-590 rig control program that you can download from the Kenwood website.

Enclose the following information with the radio:

Name: _______________________

Address: ______________________

City: __________________________

State: _________________

Zip Code: _____________________

Radio Model: __________________

Serial Number: _________________

Date Of Purchase: ______________

E-Mail: _______________________

Call Sign: _____________________

Telephone (Daytime): ____________