Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft PX3 panadapter / USB controller / SVGA display for KX3!  (Read 5437 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

Yeah, I ordered one already.  I hope I get it before Field Day!

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:55:37 AM »

Nice looking matching unit, will the after market protective cover for the KX3 fit on the PX3 so both can be taken along for picnic table portable?
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »

Looks nice and like the KX3 it will be a great success.

To me it would just be too clumsy  to take out in the field.

I can only imagine how well a KX3 and PX3 would sell if it was in a nice single flat panel box with everything integrated.
Think suitcase  radio.  A radio with everything  and you can simply close the lid and pick it up by the handle and walk out the door. With a bag of accessory crap.

Elecraft have some innovative ideas however their packaging   and QRP/portable/casual style of hamming with  many awkward
devices does not suite  my mentality. I am looking for something clean and convenient thats pickup and go.
 Thats why I have been using military manpack radios for portable operation. Grab and run and you operating in 1 minute.

This KX3/PX3 looks like a wonderful combination. If Elecraft was  smart they would package  the 2 items into 1 box.
Include the following:

1. A universal DC to DC converter 10 to 55 volts. You can use it anywhere in the world on a ship to a plane.
2. A universal AC power supply  90 to 260 volts that uses a IEC power cord.
3. A massive lithium pack  that can run  a radio with a power output of 25 watts.
4. When you power  the radio from either the DC or AC power supply the radio switches in another amplifier combiner for 50 watts of output.
5. Automatic antenna tuner for short verticals from 8ft to  to 10 meters for 160 meters through to 10 meters.
6. A random wire end fed tuner.
7. A general purpose antenna tuner with a antenna switch and dummy  load.
8. Antenna analyzer since you have a nice screen!
9. A nice Pelican style briefcase that has waterproof outlets so you can charge and power the radio without removing it from the case.
10. A home station configuration for the above with a 100  watt 50 volt FET amplifier.
11. A nice big analog calibrated S-meter for the home station configuration
12. A place to store a nice big paddle.
13. Maybe a solar panel option that screws onto the lid for battery charging.
14. Speaker
15. All radio interfacing done with RCA connectors mounted on the front panel.
This would be a James Bond KX3/PX3 configuration. Throw in a Glock pistol in  there and you set to take on the zombie world!

Elecraft have a good starting foundation. Its just that the packaging and the features have to be expanded and improved to attract more hams.
The KX3/PX3 would  be even a greater success if it accommodated home station user to a greater degree.  The most overlooked design aspect  in my view of
the KX3/PX3 design philosophy is that  convenience  of the total package has been ignored. I just want to grab one box and not 1 box and 100 accessories  just to go spend a day on a picnic table. I suppose thats why HT's are so popular. If you had to grab, speaker, mic, battery and option knobs for the HT before you hit the road you would not consider it convenient. We need the HT philosophy applied to a HF portable radio.

Anyway the KX3  would look darn good with the PX3 bolted on top of the KX3. Some side brackets  to do this would make it a mini Icom 7800 with better performance, for the price it  would be a good deal. If it had pre-distortion in the transmitter I would even consider using such a combination in my fixed station however I would need a stable platform not something the cat will pull off the table. Regardless these 2 units are going to be hot selling novelty items, and wont make it  into the ham shacks of serious hams because its aimed squarely  at portable ops. Elecraft dont have a low drive option for the KPA500 so it wont cant be a serious home station radio yet. Home hams need the KXP3000 version  which would be all of the above in one big box with lots of them things called knoooobbbbsss.

N2ADV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »

I will have one sometime this year!!!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »

Looks nice and like the KX3 it will be a great success.

To me it would just be too clumsy  to take out in the field.

I can only imagine how well a KX3 and PX3 would sell if it was in a nice single flat panel box with everything integrated.
Think suitcase  radio.  A radio with everything  and you can simply close the lid and pick it up by the handle and walk out the door. With a bag of accessory crap.

Elecraft have some innovative ideas however their packaging   and QRP/portable/casual style of hamming with  many awkward
devices does not suite  my mentality. I am looking for something clean and convenient thats pickup and go.
 Thats why I have been using military manpack radios for portable operation. Grab and run and you operating in 1 minute.

This KX3/PX3 looks like a wonderful combination. If Elecraft was  smart they would package  the 2 items into 1 box.
Include the following:

1. A universal DC to DC converter 10 to 55 volts. You can use it anywhere in the world on a ship to a plane.
2. A universal AC power supply  90 to 260 volts that uses a IEC power cord.
3. A massive lithium pack  that can run  a radio with a power output of 25 watts.
4. When you power  the radio from either the DC or AC power supply the radio switches in another amplifier combiner for 50 watts of output.
5. Automatic antenna tuner for short verticals from 8ft to  to 10 meters for 160 meters through to 10 meters.
9. A nice Pelican style briefcase that has waterproof outlets so you can charge and power the radio without removing it from the case.
10. A home station configuration for the above with a 100  watt 50 volt FET amplifier.
14. Speaker
This would be a James Bond KX3/PX3 configuration. Throw in a Glock pistol in  there and you set to take on the zombie world!

Elecraft have a good starting foundation. Its just that the packaging and the features have to be expanded and improved to attract more hams.
The KX3/PX3 would  be even a greater success if it accommodated home station user to a greater degree.  The most overlooked design aspect  in my view of
the KX3/PX3 design philosophy is that  convenience  of the total package has been ignored. I just want to grab one box and not 1 box and 100 accessories  just to go spend a day on a picnic table. I suppose thats why HT's are so popular. If you had to grab, speaker, mic, battery and option knobs for the HT before you hit the road you would not consider it convenient. We need the HT philosophy applied to a HF portable radio.

Anyway the KX3  would look darn good with the PX3 bolted on top of the KX3. Some side brackets  to do this would make it a mini Icom 7800 with better performance, for the price it  would be a good deal. If it had pre-distortion in the transmitter I would even consider using such a combination in my fixed station however I would need a stable platform not something the cat will pull off the table. Regardless these 2 units are going to be hot selling novelty items, and wont make it  into the ham shacks of serious hams because its aimed squarely  at portable ops. Elecraft dont have a low drive option for the KPA500 so it wont cant be a serious home station radio yet. Home hams need the KXP3000 version  which would be all of the above in one big box with lots of them things called knoooobbbbsss.

I thought 20 watts was all anybody ever needed?

It seems that your wish list for the KX3 would increase the size of the unit at least tenfold, and the weight even more.  What's interesting is that many folks already have some or most of what you suggest is necessary, but by keeping it all separate it not only massively simplifies the station but allows one to easily customize the station as needed.  What would be the advantage of having all that junk in one gigantic, 12x36x18" box?
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

The point is that the KX3 could be spun into numerous other configurations that is not limited  to portable operation.

The KX3/PX3 would make a excellent integrated 100 watt station for many hams.

If you consider the performance aspect of the KX3 and PX3 combined it would offer performance fixed station radio at a very affordable price
that outperforms the very expensive radios on the market if Elecraft was bold enough to  build such a product.

As to what is convenient and inconvenient thats individual taste. However I cant stomach the thought of carrying on a holiday a KX3, PX3, 100 watt PA and a power supply
plus all its associated bits and pieces. It would easier taking a FT857 laptop and a softrock.   The package would be smaller and more convenient.The KX3 configuration as  I describe or even a manpack integrated version would be much more convenient. I know many hams who operate from cruise ships and I am sure if they could buy a integrated KX3 in a convenient package or case they would buy it.

Anyway these are merely opinions and ideas that  is out of our control. Elecraft does what it does and thats OK. The Yaesu FT897  packaging has  many of these ideas and its a popular radio for mobile home and caravan operators. You dont have the space nor do you want mess that gets in the way of your other holiday activity. A KX3/pX3 mess might be great for  a ham only dxpedition  or field day where you have time and cars to carry everything. The radio weights 2 pounds and the car of stuff that comes along weighs 500 pounds. I do  not  do this style of operating I do however think that the more convenient you make a package the greater the appeal. Who can argue with the success of the FT817? The thousands sold should tell you about why its so popular. Its popular because you can grab it in hurry and its a nice clean and convenient package. If they KX3 had the same convenience it would even be more popular. 

Different strokes for different folks!
K6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »

Looks really nice, but I'm going to wait until some actually start shipping. Elecraft's been late on new releases in the past.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »

Set topic/comment=insertsnark

Add all that and...

Don't forget the fan to cool it.  And a Sherpa to carry it. Why not design for 100W
and provide a know that says "POWER SET".  Oh, right the final amp would be about
the size of a KX3 complete.

Sheesh can we be redundant?

Is the case the radio, or what?

Why not just get a K3?  There's lot of room inside.  Or better yet get the K3mini
and a wireless hot spot so all you need is cell coverage back to the big rig on
the mountain.  Saves dragging power, antennas, radios, and all that crap.

Yes, a 3.5" scale meter calibrated on each band. 

I thought the pelican case was for that?

Screws?  what no MOLLE clips?

14. Speaker

What, and have everyone hear?  No H250 with U192 plug

Yes, we need more crappy non locking connectors.

Why not just put it all inside a K3??  Its going to be that big and likely heavier.  It would
go well with the collapsible hand cart to tow it all.

Why change a good radio into a PRC?  Its easier to spend, Spend, SPEND, and get a PRC.

Sent topic/comment=endsnark

Allison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: