Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Club table at Gun Show?  (Read 68913 times)
N1GMV

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »

Just currious, has anyone set up a club table at a gun show?
Did you get any interest?

Do you guys think it would be worth while?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:21:25 PM by N1GMV » Logged
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »

I think it would be much more interesting to set up a gun table at a hamfest.
It would probably generate a lot more interest than the other way around.

Don N4TTS
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »

Huh  I guess you could point out to passers-by that a large HT could be used to club animals if ones gun fails.

next comment...
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »

I think for the good of ham radio we need to stay separated from the gun issue as much as possible.  
ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »

I think for the good of ham radio we need to stay separated from the gun issue as much as possible

You are way too late for that.  In researching radios, etc, I come across prepper talk all he time.  It's quite of mix of guns, food and radios.

More seriously, I caught a conversation on reloading the other night on my way  home from work. I was on an HT and couldn't hit the repeater, but I could listen. The conversation started with two guys and expanded to 6 over the course of about 20 minutes.

As primarily a bicyclist, I noticed that other cyclists tended to have the same secondary sports that I did. I liked guns long before I liked amateur radio. I would not be surprised at all if there are a HUGE number of hams that also love guns. In the more remote places of the world, those who depend on ham radio as their lifeline to the world are almost always in places or situations where a firearm is also a necessary item.

I think an amateur radio table at a gun show would see a LOT of activity.  You might try putting a hunting (yes, hunters use radios) or emergency preparedness spin on it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:43:44 PM by KK4ZJZ » Logged
KD7BCY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »

I think for the good of ham radio we need to stay separated from the gun issue as much as possible

You are way too late for that.  In researching radios, etc, I come across prepper talk all he time.  It's quite of mix of guns, food and radios. 

Yup. I've met a lot of gun people via ham radio(not something that gets talked about on the air much, but discussions wander much farther at club meetings and events), and a lot of ham radio people through gun forums(both local and national, ar15.com even has a very active ham radio sub-forum now) and events.

I agree that a radio table at a gun show would probably get a lot of attention. The problem here, is that it is after all a gun show... And you end up with some pretty nutty people there, of all varieties. And a good portion of them are just going to be asking stupid questions like how do I attach an amplifier to an FRS radio, or how do I get on police frequencies, or going nuts about wanting encryption boards in their radios for secure militia comms... But it is certainly an opportunity to educate those that are willing to learn, and maybe get some new people licensed. Plus, you'll get all the beef jerky, beanie babies, and fake SEAL team stories you can handle  Cheesy
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 05:17:16 AM »

One of the clubs I used to belong to had a gun club nearby--within a mile.  Many club members were also members of the gun club as well.  As to not mixing ham radio with guns, too late!  Quite a few people who use ham radio are of the mind that it's something that may be necessary when and if our level of civilization collapses--an idea that members of gun clubs also subscribe to. 

IMO, trying to promote the ideas that guns are evil and should be banned is just as silly as promoting the idea that ham radio is silly and towers and antennas should be banned.  Both have their detractors and supporters, both are here to stay, and neither will be gotten rid of easily. 
KD5GR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »

Ham radio, guns and flying seem to draw from the same pool of folks.  I know a lot of guys who are into all three.  In fact, I know far more hams who are also own and use guns than those who do not.

As for separating ham radio from the "gun issue," not only is it too late, it's unwise.  There are roughly 750,000 licensed hams in the U.S.; 5+ million NRA Members and growing and 150 - 200 million gun owners. (The 85 million estimates thrown around are grossly inaccurate because so many people won't answer nosy survey questions about guns as they did years ago.)  People who join the NRA to protect Second Amendment rights tend to be the same type of folks who get involved in other organizations to protect other rights and privileges.  They join the AOPA to protect general aviation and ARRL to protect ham radio to name just two.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an NRA Life Member and I've been on the NRA Board of Directors since 2001 having just been reelected for another 3-year term.

Chas.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »

Only if they serve beer there.
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:17:54 AM »

Let's see now....W1AW.  Who was that guy who had the call sign first....maybe someone here can remember the name?  

I do remember that fellow who had that call sign invented something called a silencer and his dad invented the first functioning machine gun.  

In the latter stages the man was a truly great ham....the father of Ham radio..would that be pretentious?

I can't believe the name escapes me.  

Anyway...I'm really glad he patented suppressors.  They make shooting more pleasant and I'm really happy he did the ham radio thing too.  I enjoy both.

I think it's possible that guns are in ham radio's DNA.  

My thoughts on staying away from the "gun issue".  No.

KD5GR & N1GMV have you ever been to the Wannamacher's Gun Show ( http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/home.html ) in Tulsa?  Eleven air-conditioned acres of guns....I'm thinking special event station this November.  I got to meet Wayne LaPierre there, Jim Supica, Larry Potterfield, etc. and even managed to sneak in on American Rifleman's this old gun with a  Colt Buntline Scout.  Gee, I wish a ham table at a gun show had been my idea; hats off to you N1GMV.  Heck special event stations...we have the IDPA nationals here in September and then there is OFASTS in June and that would make for some really cool cards to send out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:18:02 AM by KE5JDJ » Logged

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

I think for the good of ham radio we need to stay separated from the gun issue as much as possible.  

The irony of the father of ham radio being the inventor of the silencer is deafening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Percy_Maxim

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »

What I said before--

...As to not mixing ham radio with guns, too late! ...
K4LIX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

If you think swap tables are expensive at HamFests, wait until you go to get one at a gun or coin show - average 6 ft or 8 ft table will be $100 or more!!
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »

They usually have discounts for non-sales tables - like organizations and non-profits.

Chris - KU7PDX
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »

Haven't done or seen it before but if you did set one up, I would stop by and see what's up.  Same if you set up a gun table at a hamvention.

73, KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: