The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Club table at Gun Show?  (Read 528420 times)
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

You can use a hammer to off another human being but I don't see people spazzing out over hardware stores.

Jeeze, how about a little perspective.

Don N4TTS
Just remember, you can be arrested in Philladelphia (well, you USED to be subject to arrest) for having a baseball bat in your car.  Unless you had other baseball equipment as well.

Same logic as to why truckers back in the 70's took hammer handles and 'pressed on' a few inches of pipe, then used a wood burning tool to burn "Tire Checker" into the wood.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »

Plus, you'll get all the beef jerky, beanie babies, and fake SEAL team stories you can handle  Cheesy

Beanie babies? At a gun show Huh
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »

I set up a gun club and ham radio club table at our local zombie convention.

Lots of interest.

The rest of the convention center, kinda dead.

Now that's pretty funny!  Grin
K4WGE

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »

<snip> The last thing we need is to be inextricably linked with the pro-gun movement...
Firearms are just another hobby. It's like golf only louder.

Golf was too frustrating for me so I took up skeet...
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »

With the current attitudes regarding guns in this country, it would be best for ham radio if we kept our distance.  If individual hams want to have guns, fine, but organizationally we should keep ourselves aloof.  The last thing we need is to be inextricably linked with the pro-gun movement...

Um, I think you've made your obviously west coast left wing point several times already.

KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »

I think a Ham table at a Gun Show would be a good fit. Lot's of guys (and gals) have several hobbies and in my case I enjoy Target Shooting in the summer and increase my time in the shack when it turns cold outside. Places to shoot are becoming scarce too. Last time I drove out to the dam spill-way I'm pretty sure I saw some men in Ghillie suits hiding in the brush, waiting for my return. At least at my home shack I can use my switchable phased array to keep them guessing where I am. Wink
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »

With the current attitudes regarding guns in this country, it would be best for ham radio if we kept our distance.  If individual hams want to have guns, fine, but organizationally we should keep ourselves aloof.  The last thing we need is to be inextricably linked with the pro-gun movement...

Um, I think you've made your obviously west coast left wing point several times already.

I am not anti-gun.  I am not left wing.  If someone wants to own a firearm that's fine with me.  I just think we need to keep ham radio and gun ownership as two separate hobbies.  If the anti-gunners, like some of my eastern relatives, starting associating ham radio and firearms ownership, it can't bode well for us as hams.
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »

I am not anti-gun.  I am not left wing.  If someone wants to own a firearm that's fine with me.  I just think we need to keep ham radio and gun ownership as two separate hobbies.  If the anti-gunners, like some of my eastern relatives, starting associating ham radio and firearms ownership, it can't bode well for us as hams.

If anything they go hand in hand...

Most hunters I know of carry a handheld radio to communicate. Don't want to be dragging the days kill back to the truck and have a buddy pop off a round at/in you because he saw the antlers. If you all had radios, he could speak up asking where you are or you could say "100yds from the truck" so they know to watch for you. In my area the military reservation "strongly suggests" 2 way radios for hunting parties.

Most concealed carry people I know have or are interested in ham radio, because something comes along where one is needed, you can be sure the other will be needed too.

Most competition shooters I know (and I know a dozen or so) have the license or are interested in ham radio.

So almost every armed group has a vested interest in one way or another to be licensed hams, and most licensed hams SHOULD have a vested interest in firearms. Your argument falls along the lines of these liberals who think there is no need for the 2nd Amendment, but are completely ignorant of the fact that if the 2nd falls, the rest fall shortly after. The reason we have the right to bear arms, is because of the time when they try to come and say we do not.

de K4ISR
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »

Using the associative logic between guns and HR, maybe we need to hide from other things too.

Maybe HR should stay away from aviation since airplanes took down the towers and part of the Pentagon.

Maybe HR should stay away from balloon rallies cause balloons could be used to drop bombs.

Maybe HR should stay away from car shows since cars are used in car bombings.

Maybe HR should stay away from any kind of hunting because it is cruel to animals.

Yes these are fairly stupid examples. But based purely on the logic that HR should stay away from gun enthusiasts because we don't want to be linked to "those people", the examples are just as viable. And I picked specific things that many OPs have as another hobby.

And that is why the logic fails. Just because a small amount of people can pervert otherwise common and legal hobbies does not mean we should reject all who enjoy the other hobbies. Absurd examples really do disprove absurd logic.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KB6YH

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »

The Constitution is for everybody. The ACLU defends the Constitution. The ACLU has defended both the Right and the Left.

KQ0J

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »

Just an interesting note - a fellow ham near me hosted a swap meet last week and did a quiet one on one poll of all the attendees.  Out of 24 attendees, 8 were carrying a concealed handgun.  Semi rural location.. It appears to be a common interest with a lot of hams I know.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »

<snip> It appears to be a common interest with a lot of hams I know.

It really is, more than some would think.

I met several of my long time ham radio friends, who all drove significant distances, at a gun show last weekend.
We all had a great time and most brought home yet another addition to their collection.
Shooting is fun and relaxing. Some folks don't understand firearms are just another machine. They don't have any ability to act on their own.

Any negative connotation comes from network news stories shoving the sick exploits of mentally ill people down the collective throats of the American public in an attempt to further a government disarmament agenda.

If you want to get people on a bandwagon, let's move to disassociate ham radio from mentally ill people. Or would that take too many out of our ranks?

Don N4TTS
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »

I receive QST and the NRA's American Rifleman magazine on or about the same day each month.  I always have a problem deciding which one to read first.  I figure as a ham I can exercise my first amendment rights on the air and a firearms owner I can exercise my second amendment rights by owning and bearing.  There's a reason why our founding fathers considered these as the primary elements of our constitution.  There's a reason why our country is unique so if you don't believe in the second amendment at all it's your right not to; just don't deny my right to it's intent.
KF5THB

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

Now, you raised an interesting point.  Given the fact that our "Founding Fathers" instituted the 2nd Amendment, ie made it a fundamental right rather than merely a privilege, as a result of their perception that the right to bear arms was required to insure basic freedom from overreaching government, how would they have characterized access to the RF spectrum?  Of course it wasn't understood at the time so my question is purely speculative.  Clearly, the present status is that it is merely a privilege subject to the whims of the current administration and of course the collective or precedential doctrine of adhering to previous decisions.  Admittedly, firearms and Radio Spectrum are quite different and RF is used in our everyday lives like air or water, so the suggestion that there could be a comparison is quite a stretch.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »

I set up a gun club and ham radio club table at our local zombie convention.

Lots of interest.

The rest of the convention center, kinda dead.
Glad to hear that you took a bite out of the crowd.  Just hope they weren't all a bunch of stiffs.

Really takes some brains to do that.  And some guts, as well.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: