The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Club table at Gun Show?  (Read 528925 times)
KC5YN

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »

You know, NRA could have easily stood for "National Radio Association", just sayin'

Law of Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »

From what I have observed, both Amateur Radio operators and Gun owners to some degree are all Preppers.
Does that mean every radio operator or gun owner has a years supply of food and 5000 rounds of ammo for every gun, no.

What it does mean is that to a large degree, the two are a part of being prepared. Most Hams know if there is a disaster or emergency that they may not be able to get food, water and other necessities for a couple weeks, sometimes longer.

Both groups also know that in any major disaster, for the first several days to two weeks, they are on their own as to self protection.

Not every Ham thinks of these things. Some just enjoy chasing DX or like the technical part of radio, but as a whole, most of us would qualify as a "Prepper" on some level.

Seems whenever our group gets together, radio and guns are discussed. Not by all, but by the majority. And no, it's anything but anti gun talk.

I like the idea of ham gear at a gun show. Unlike what some have portrayed, the majority of people at a gun show are not off the deep end. Yes, you will see some, but you have extremists in any area of society.
Most are looking for a gun part to finish a project or a good deal on a firearm. Not much different than the ham looking for parts or a piece of radio gear. Many times it's looking for an old piece of gear that takes them back to other or better times. Much like the guy looking to find a copy of the first gun he ever owned.
We have hams who are extreme also.

John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:42:41 PM by KF7VXA » Logged
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »

With the current attitudes regarding guns in this country, it would be best for ham radio if we kept our distance.  If individual hams want to have guns, fine, but organizationally we should keep ourselves aloof.  The last thing we need is to be inextricably linked with the pro-gun movement...

The current attitude you speak of is mainly in the media and ultra liberal parts of the country.

Just because you hear some talking head on PMS-MBC spouting lies about gun ownership does not mean that the rest of the country is drinking the Kool Aid.

Hate guns, fine, don't own one. Criminals love people like that. Do you have people protecting you like the big politicians and big money anti gunners ? I'm betting not. They hate guns, but would not leave home without a paid person being their body guard.

Well over 50% of all households have guns in their home. Far more have guns but won't admit it in a survey. I'm talking legal gun owners, not gang bangers.

As a retired LEO who worked his 20 in S. Kalifornia as well as worked 4 years in the Prison system, I have a much better understanding on why honest people should own and train with their firearms. If you have seen what I have, you'd either have a gun on you 100% of the time or within inches where legal to have or carry one.

John
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »

<clip>If you have seen what I have, you'd either have a gun on you 100% of the time or within inches where legal to have or carry one.

John

++++1 John

Just like American Express, "I never leave home without it".
Not to mention I'm never home without it either.

Someone asks, "what are you afraid of"? My answer, "not a damn thing".

Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Don N4TTS
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: