Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-7000  (Read 8380 times)
WB6JJA

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »

I am considering purchasing an ICOM IC-7000, but have heard  some reports of overheating .

What have been actual owners experienced with this problem ?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »

There are several mods listed on mods.dk, and I believe that some of them are for an overheating problem.  Sorry I can't go further.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »

I am considering purchasing an ICOM IC-7000, but have heard  some reports of overheating .

I owned one from  2008 til a few months ago. Unlike many owners not once did I put my hand on  the 7000 to see if it was overheating. Many many 7000 owners sit with one hand on the mike and the other hand on the radio just waiting for the 7000 to heat up a few degrees.

Not once did I have ANY problem with the 7000, it was a really nice radio.
I sold it to get $$$ for my 7100. FWIW I have not once put my hand on the 7100 either to check the heat...

Stan K9IUQ
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

The IC-7000 was my first radio.  It is a great buy and I love the color display!  For all the overblown overheating issues that can be found on the web-  I have found them to be unfounded.  What I can tell you to do is find a real good and stable power supply and do not exceed 13.8VDC and you should be fine. 
  I only had one problem with my radio-  the UHF side lost power from a defective power mosfet but that could have stemmed from lending the radio to a uneducated amateur too.  I fixed it myself in an evening.
  Would I buy again?  Absolutely!  Although now that the IC-7100 is available, I think the IC-7100 offers a broader feature set and also supports Dstar and as the IC-7000 has been discontinued, the IC-7100 now offers the best bang for the buck and also has working SWR meter for VHF/UHF.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:51:40 AM »

The rig does indeed run hot by design as it consumes a good bit of power even on receive and if a hot to touch rig bothers you should consider another rig. It is debatable as to what effect, if any, this has on life span of rig.  By comparison a TS 480 is a much cooler running rig even in 200 watt version. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »

If you want a brand new 7000 you better move fast!
I don't think HRO or AES have any left in stock. Ever since Icom announced that they were discontinuing it they seem to have sold out quickly.
Btw it does get warm but not alarmingly hot and the mods seem to fix that if you want it to be cool to the touch.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »

Btw it does get warm but not alarmingly hot and the mods seem to fix that if you want it to be cool to the touch.

Only mod would help would be a continuously running cooling fan. Still will get hot transmitting though.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »

Keep in mind that if you are going to run 100 watts that a large radio won't get nearly as hot as a tiny radio.  I consider the 7000 a tiny radio for a 100 watt rig.  I have one and don't worry about.  I don't feel the need to bleed every what our of this rig that I can.  I don't mind running at 80 watts and no can really tell the difference.

(imagine how hot this radio would get trying to dissipate 100 watts if it were only 1 cubic inch in size)

Don't worry, be happy !!
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »

I had one of these for a year and sold it...

It gets hot but it does have a temp gauge... Use it
I had a small pc fan blowing on the heat syncs

Don't think about going above 30 watts on digital modes.. I do a ton of digital...and no issues with the 7000.

Lastly for a mobile it's darn perfect as a base it's horrible... It wasn't until I was able to compare it to another rig that I realized how poor the receiver was...and the 2m and 70cm interface design is horrible and also not overly sensitive.  If your going mobile get it... For a base look elsewhere...

Mike
KD2CJJ
VE4CDR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »

Like K9IUQ, I also enjoyed my IC-7000 before trading it for an IC-7100. I used it primarily in the RV driving a buddipole while camping. The unit performed flawlessly with no overheating failures whatsoever. 
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »

The icom 7000 is one nice radio, it's like the Cadillac in the Swiss army knives category of small foot print radios.  The heat issue is highly over stated but if you want it to run cool just do one of the mods.  One thing is for certain, the resale value on these is going to remain high, the 7100 is a Love/Hate radio.  If you don't like it the only good options left are the 857d or a used 7000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: