Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been out of the SWL loop for a while....any other countries drop their services?  (Read 9154 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »

...has the awful trend continued?.....the last one I heard of was VOR bagging it....Thank God Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand are still on the AIR (not on an audio stream)....what say you?....what's been happening in the SWL world lately?....(and I already know about Pop Comm and Monitorint Times Magazines....again, an awful awful trend)......

V
K3NRX

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »

Voice of Russia got a reprieve, but just barely.  Per short-wave.info, they are mostly broadcasting in DRM, with a handful of AM frequencies still on the air.

The BBC and (I think) Radio Havana will be cutting back within the next year or so.  Still no word on what VOA will do.  Plenty of activity still from transmitters in Africa and Asia (including Deutsche Welle, the VOA, and the BBC), plus the omnipresent American religious stations.
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »

Hi dear friend.
Financial problems, spending cuts, new budgets, have disappeared many shortwave radio, are now on the internet, say that the internet is cheaper, and it is true, but the real and true broadcasting is broadcasting RF and direct modulation, that is the true magic of radio, is a shame what is happening, I think I could never listen a international broadcasting by internet. Is regrettable that disappears a radio after 70 or 80 years on the air, Voice of Russia, Radio Canada International, Radio Nederland, VOA, BBC, Radio Bulgaria, also have disappeared.
73 George
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »

Hi dear friend.
Financial problems, spending cuts, new budgets, have disappeared many shortwave radio, are now on the internet, say that the internet is cheaper, and it is true, but the real and true broadcasting is broadcasting RF and direct modulation, that is the true magic of radio, is a shame what is happening, I think I could never listen a international broadcasting by internet.

There has been no "magic" in broadcasting since World War II.  Those days are long gone.  Besides, governments don't spend big bucks on "magic," nor do they broadcast to hobbyists.  They spent big bucks on shortwave radio when there were listeners.  But outside of the less-developed countries in Africa and Asia, those listeners are gone - either to FM or the internet.  If there are no listeners, the station goes away.   

Those are the facts of life in the 21st century.  The internet is replacing radio nowadays just like radio replaced telegraph lines 100+ years ago.

BTW, there is better programming, both in the US and elsewhere, on the internet than there ever was on the air.  I listen to Radio Swiss Jazz every night.  Very few 24/7 jazz stations on US radio, and none in my area (Phoenix).

Is regrettable that disappears a radio after 70 or 80 years on the air, Voice of Russia, Radio Canada International, Radio Nederland, VOA, BBC, Radio Bulgaria, also have disappeared.

It's not "regrettable."  It is a necessity to prevent wasting the public's money on things that are of little use in the 21st century.  But they're not all gone yet, and in Asia, they probably won't be for several decades.  China uses shortwave extensively for regional stations, but of course they broadcast in Chinese and the various dialects thereof, not English. 

But the days of every major world capital broadcasting in English to the US and Europe are done.  Why?  Because there are no listeners outside of a few thousand hams and SWLs - not enough to justify spending millions on maintaining expensive transmitters and studio facilities. 

I'm shocked that Australia and New Zealand are still running extensive shortwave services, since those countries are just as developed as the US.  But they are more regional broadcasters than true international services, and my guess is that they are broadcasting to their citizens who live and work in other parts of Asia and the Pacific.  They come in well here, but that's gravy - they don't broadcast directly to us.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »

'm shocked that Australia and New Zealand are still running extensive shortwave services, since those countries are just as developed as the US.  But they are more regional broadcasters than true international services, and my guess is that they are broadcasting to their citizens who live and work in other parts of Asia and the Pacific.

The current Australian Government, - if it gets it's way, that is,
will privatize the Australian Broadcasting Corporation,
which operates on both the the shortwave and medium wave services.
- it may stretch to both Radio Australia and the Special Broadcasting Services
( R.A  &&  S.B.S )

most, if not all, of their transmitters, have already been sold off, - to a private company.
several years ago, by a previous government.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »

No, these English services haven't yet "disappeared"-I don't get where you got this from; VOA, BBC, DeutschWelle, CRI, R. Africa, RNZI, R. Australia, R. Romania, Vietnam, Japan, N. Korea, S. Korea, Iran, Cairo, and more, still do English BCs to other countries. I hear them every day. You need this
http://www.short-wave.info/
and a decent antenna to see that it aint over yet.
Quit trying to kill it before it's actually dead Grin
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:33:46 AM by HFCRUSR » Logged
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »

No, these English services haven't yet "disappeared"-I don't get where you got this from; VOA, BBC, DeutschWelle, CRI, R. Africa, RNZI, R. Australia, R. Romania, Vietnam, Japan, N. Korea, S. Korea, Iran, Cairo, and more, still do English BCs to other countries. I hear them every day. You need this
http://www.short-wave.info/
and a decent antenna to see that it aint over yet.
I'm honest, never pursued international radios, always interested me more listening to amateur radio, since 1985. The radios who mention I listened in Spanish, and such transmissions have gradually disappeared. I still hear some information by REE, Radio Vietnam, la voz de China, Radio Turkia or Radio Vaticana.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »

http://www.short-wave.info/ and a decent antenna to see that it aint over yet.

Very true, but how many of them broadcast directly to North America?  Very few nowadays.  That doesn't mean they can't be heard here, but American audiences are not their target.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »

Very true, but how many of them broadcast directly to North America?  Very few nowadays.  That doesn't mean they can't be heard here, but American audiences are not their target.
Actually, Iran, N. Korea, Cairo, CRI-still point at certain times to the US. Otherwise, you are right about no USA targets. However, my response was mainly towards your assertion there was NO English services period, to anywhere pretty much. That is the way I understood your point to be.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »

Actually, Iran, N. Korea, Cairo, CRI-still point at certain times to the US. Otherwise, you are right about no USA targets. However, my response was mainly towards your assertion there was NO English services period, to anywhere pretty much. That is the way I understood your point to be.

Obviously that's not the case.  I just said that they are no longer targeting North America or Europe, with exceptions being those you mention.  But most of the old-time Europeans are gone, as is Radio Canada.  Technology and the end of the Cold War changed things, and that was 20 years ago.

Then there are the old South American regional stations that used to fill up the 60 & 90 meter bands.  How many of those are still on the air, or have most moved to FM?  Despite not being "legal" broadcast bands in the US, there are more American religious stations heard there than South Americans nowadays.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »

BTW as a side, just caught this one off  RR
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/media/television-and-radio/2014/04/09/Russia-takes-Voice-of-America-radio-off-air.html
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »

I see your points now. But China still has several English BCs, and we still have KNLS out of Alaska hanging in there and don't forget Alex Jones! BTW I notice during my MW DXing, he's starting to get quite a following there too. IMHO he's awfully extreme to have made it to several MW markets but he did.
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »

Hey HFCRUSR, I was watching your videos on youtube, great videos, I see that is very patient to tune Grin. I liked the box Faraday, something that I'll have to invent, or maybe a microwave oven, also I have router interference, I also really liked how soft of the Zenith knob to tune, with a finger, wonderful, I had the 1000, 3000 and 7000, great radios with its telescopic antenna, but my knobs were hard although I put dioxit, but sold on ebay.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »

'm shocked that Australia and New Zealand are still running extensive shortwave services, since those countries are just as developed as the US.  But they are more regional broadcasters than true international services, and my guess is that they are broadcasting to their citizens who live and work in other parts of Asia and the Pacific.

The current Australian Government, - if it gets it's way, that is,
will privatize the Australian Broadcasting Corporation,
which operates on both the the shortwave and medium wave services.
- it may stretch to both Radio Australia and the Special Broadcasting Services
( R.A  &&  S.B.S )

most, if not all, of their transmitters, have already been sold off, - to a private company.
several years ago, by a previous government.

So what does that mean?....are they going dark too?....Jeez....this is awful.....and what frequencies is the VOR transmitting on now?.....

V
K3NRX

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

Hey HFCRUSR, I was watching your videos on youtube, great videos, I see that is very patient to tune Grin. I liked the box Faraday, something that I'll have to invent, or maybe a microwave oven, also I have router interference, I also really liked how soft of the Zenith knob to tune, with a finger, wonderful, I had the 1000, 3000 and 7000, great radios with its telescopic antenna, but my knobs were hard although I put dioxit, but sold on ebay.
Thank you for all that. Aint that a kick, the faraday thing Cheesy still got that router caged up in there! All you need is a metal box to put it in, then ground the box to the router.
I love my 3000-1. Had it since I was a kid and it is a reliable, fun, cool toy with pretty nice audio.
Sorry the off-topic OP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: