Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Your Passwords on These Sites NOW  (Read 2662 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »

Recommendations of sites/services to IMMEDIATELY change one's passwords ...

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:04:33 AM »

Uh...this link appears as spam, at leas on my PC it did.  I wouldn't click it if I were you.
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »

The link passed my security software okay....

Here's another one which will check a website you enter:

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

The list of the top 10,000 in the OP link was derived from this one.
K4TPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »

I believe he may be speculating on the OpenSSL web server software that had an unknown (to the server's admin) security hole. It may be about 17% of all internet servers that use that software.

This Wikipedia link will tell the story and it's not spam:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed_bug
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »

[...notes that eHam.net doesn't even bother encrypting our user sessions...] Grin

Chris - KU7PDX
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

None of the important sites I frequent have the problem.

*** yawn ***

KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

To be clear.  I was saying that when I clicked on the OP's link, a popup on my screen was telling me my PC had been infected and I should "Click Here" to clean it.  I'm wasn't taking shots at the OP, nor disputing that Heartbleed exists.  Just stating what happened on my PC.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »

To be clear.  I was saying that when I clicked on the OP's link, a popup on my screen was telling me my PC had been infected and I should "Click Here" to clean it.  I'm wasn't taking shots at the OP, nor disputing that Heartbleed exists.  Just stating what happened on my PC.

the link worked fine for me.  what program on your PC created that pop-up?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »

there are several versions of drive-by malware that use that ruse.  never, ever click on that, it's like calls from the blue by "this is Microsoft, and we have detected your computer has a problem."  they want to charge you big money to put viruses on your computer.

you know you have reached REAL tech support, because they don't want to deal with you Wink

probably a good idea now to download "super antispyware free edition" and scan.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »

there are several versions of drive-by malware that use that ruse.

yeah i have gotten malware pop-up ads like that which suggest your PC is in danger and needs their fix.  always ignored them though.  it is strange (or ironic) it would do that though for a link someone shared to a page legitimately warning you about which sites you need to change your password for to protect yourself from the heartbleed bug....
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 04:47:29 AM »

To be clear.  I was saying that when I clicked on the OP's link, a popup on my screen was telling me my PC had been infected and I should "Click Here" to clean it.  I'm wasn't taking shots at the OP, nor disputing that Heartbleed exists.  Just stating what happened on my PC.

the link worked fine for me.  what program on your PC created that pop-up?

Can't say.  I just tried that same link again.  It came up fine and I could see the Heartbleed page for about 2 seconds, now all I see is a Comcast Xfinity Tripleplay add for $79.99 at the top of the page.  Near the bottom, it has left < and right > arrows, showing that I'm on page 8 of 8.  No clue what's going on???  Now the page is frozen.  Not sure if my work PC virus protection doesn't like the page or what.

EDIT: Not being one to give up, I tried it a thrid time.  Took a bit, but the page did load.  I don't see any of my sites on there.   Strange the way my PC handled that initially.  I wonder if it was because I had my Comcast email open and ad just popped up. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:52:39 AM by KC3CLQ » Logged
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »

Mashable is a legit site. If you have random popups with fear/uncertainty/doubt adverts, your computer may already be infected with something.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »

I haven't seen any pop-ups in years, I thought that "problem" had ceased to exist!  You guys must be using Internet Explorer...
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 07:43:40 AM »

The link passed my security software okay....
Here's another one which will check a website you enter:

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

This is the same link provided to me by Zander ID Theft a couple of days ago. It looks bogus but apparently it is not.

My best!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: