Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Yaesu FT 857D and the Yaesu FT 857 ?  (Read 1358 times)
N7ZAL

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

I'm looking around for a new transceiver to replace my Kenwood TS-440 that broke, and the Yaesu FT 857D/FT857 caught my eye. I only work CW and all the newer rigs have more features than I need and am looking for some thing basic. for HF and 6 meters. So, what is the difference between the Yaesu FT 857D and FT857?

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
K4TPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »

It looks like the "D" model has DSP as standard.

I used these links for comparison:

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft857.htm

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft857d.htm
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »

Thanks and that does look like the difference. My search returns on the "specifications" didn't clearly state the differences.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »

The original version might not have 60 meter operation. Note also that although the "D" version does have 60m,the frequencies(which are in the memory channels) will not include the new frequencies,and will not allow cw operation on 60m,at least not without performing a mod like the Mars mod for example. Of course that may not be important to you. I have the D myself,and really enjoy it. The only thing I`ve added is the 500hz cw filter.
N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »

Thanks. I can't work the lower frequencies because of space limitations for the antenna. 40 is about my upper limit. Glad you like it and I'm seriously taking a look at it.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:53:27 AM »

I would say that if you're looking to be using it as a base radio there are HF radios in the same price bracket which are a lot easier to use. If you only plan to be using FM on VHF/UHF you'd be better with separate HF and a dual bander as it would allow you to monitor the VHF/UHF frequencies whilst working HF at the same time.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »

I have one in the car and one in the pick up truck.  They make a great mobile and I match them to an ATAS 120 antenna when on long distance road trips.  for local use I use the 2m 440 Larson antenna. in the truck I also have an original DK - 3 for 80 meters I use when I want to play there. I just switch antennas at the back of the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: