Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding a new station in a 2nd floor apartment  (Read 10005 times)
KG7MXA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »

Excellent.  Thank you, Chris.  Another issue solved.

KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »

Not a good idea.  Many reasons why, but the most obvious is simple--modifying the apartment electrical system--that you don't own.  If the owners wouldn't be OK with running a cable down the building, do you actually think they'll be OK with that?

Best you don't even think of doing so.  Just take the antennas in if threatening weather comes, and do without a ground.  Admitted, it isn't the best solution for the station, but it is the best when thinking about your lease and not having problems with your landlord.

You may be only thinking of lightning grounds.  I clearly stated that such a system would not be good for a lightning ground.

The modification to the electrical panel would be reversible. 

You didn't comprehend the reasoning behind my post here.  It is simply this:  No matter what is done, any modification to the building itself, (as in the electrical service) is not going to be looked at favorably.  Although the tenant is by law to be given 24 hours notice of inspection/entry, emergencies do happen and negate that 24 hour law.  Your 'revision' could get the tenant thrown out of the apartment if seen.  If the landlord is that strict about revisions and additions, best the terms of the agreement (lease) be kept to.

Then it is a pretty simple matter to ask for permission from the landlord.  Any licensed electrician would do exactly that.  And there may be a permit that has to be filed.  Which is why I stated he may want to enlist an electrician. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 04:15:49 AM »

"SFY, I suggest you check the entire thread next time.

Thanks for the reply, but I sure hope that's not the only alternative.  My apartment management would not be okay with that.  We're lucky that they'll leave us alone about a loop antenna on the deck, but this would not go over with them. 
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »

"SFY, I suggest you check the entire thread next time.

Thanks for the reply, but I sure hope that's not the only alternative.  My apartment management would not be okay with that.  We're lucky that they'll leave us alone about a loop antenna on the deck, but this would not go over with them. 

Nothing in the section you quoted affects anything I said.  Try being less argumentative and pay attention to what was stated. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »

Nothing in the section you quoted affects anything I said.  Try being less argumentative and pay attention to what was stated.  

Argumentative?  Not really.  All I tried to get across to you is that Darrel indicated the apartment management would not "be OK" with alterations that you suggest.  As I indicated, you ought to read and understand what's been said before insisting on a course of action that's been dismissed as un-doable.  73 and bye.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »

All I tried to get across to you is that Darrel indicated the apartment management would not "be OK" with alterations that you suggest.  As I indicated, you ought to read and understand what's been said before insisting on a course of action that's been dismissed as un-doable.

If you had read the conversation, what he said the apartment management would not be OK with was to my post "Any grounding bus bar needs to be connected to the building electrical signal entrance ground, which is normally located directly below the meter.  Normally this is accomplished with a directly run wire specifically for this purpose. ".  Any discussions after that were as a result of his response to me. 

So yes, you are being argumentative.  Again it is YOU who ought to read and understand what has been said previously. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: