Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell PC and Donner Digital  (Read 5092 times)
K4RKY

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »

I just replaced my old XP machine with a Dell Optiplex 755, 2 GB memory and 2.33 MHz Pentium 4 processor using windows 7 OS. I use a Donner 13 pin digital interface that has been flawless but since connecting the Dell My radio (ts-140s) stays in the transmit mode unless I disconnect the serial cable. Any ideas on why. I don't see any driver issues at all in the computer. My mind is not very clear right now having just came home from a hospital visit. I really appreciate any help. Rick 

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »

ARE you using a serial card in the computer or a USB adapter?

I've had trouble with USB to Serial adapters based on the prolific chip set.

It appears that's the type that Donner sells on their web page.

You might try one with a FTDI chipset or a real serial card.

Drivers changed a bunch from XP to 7.

Double checked you have the port selected correctly in your software?

I have one of the same brand interfaces for my ICOM with no problems in Win7 and HRD

I'm running everything on real serial cards.

Todd
AD7VB
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:34:09 PM by AD7VB » Logged
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »

I am using the on board serial port.
I verified I have the correct port chosen. Com1 which is what I have always used in HRD.
Mine is the 13 pin to serial port not the USB connection.
According to Microsoft all drivers are up to date.
It does appear to be a PC issue but I have no idea what it may be. When I ran a driver update to verify the drivers were current the radio was responding in and out of transmit much like the radio does when having to reboot the PC the transmit light blinks and the signal meter bounces back
and forth. Then the signal stays locked. I can disconnect from the PC and the radio works fine so it looks like I may be away from digi modes for awhile.
Thanks for the reply. 73

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »

If it's doing it with out HRD running then I would try another serial port or usb adapter. Is it possible that that port you used for rig control has been swapped with the one used for the donner interface?

Todd
AD7VB
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

If it does it without HRD running you may also have some other piece of software that has a hold of the serial port.

If it's only happening with HRD running I would fire up only the rig control App and not any of the others (logbook, rotator, or DM-780).
Then under the connection settings try changing the settings for "CTS", "DTR", and "RTS".

Happy Easter,

Todd
AD7VB
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:10:59 AM by AD7VB » Logged
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »

It happens from PC boot up. I have checked the serial port in bios settings (This PC only has two ports, Com1 and LPT1)  and all is good. Not being a PC guru I don't know what else could be blocking it as nothing has changed except the PC. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep digging. 73

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »

Wish I could help more.

I would beg, borrow, or buy a usb to serial adapter (FTDI Chipset) and see if the problem goes away.

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-9-Pin-RS-232-Adapter-Chipset/dp/B006AA04K0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398193250&sr=8-2&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial

Or Newegg has serial cards depending on the type of PCI port in your computer for $10 to $20 dollars

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=serial%20card%20rs232&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

One last thought, has the cable that you used changed? Maybe you grabbed a NULL MODEM cable instead of a straight thru one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wiring+for+a+null+modem+cable&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7TSND_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Cb5WU-7cIoWMyQGOsYGoBA&ved=0CF0Q7Ak&biw=1366&bih=615

They're not always marked.

Todd
AD7VB
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

It happens from PC boot up. I have checked the serial port in bios settings (This PC only has two ports, Com1 and LPT1)  and all is good. Not being a PC guru I don't know what else could be blocking it as nothing has changed except the PC. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep digging. 73

You likely need to configure comm port on PC side. You need to set baud rate and flow control to match that of radio. I am thinking 4800 baud with either hardware or software flow control.  If these are not set correctly you will get nowhere. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

You likely need to configure comm port on PC side. You need to set baud rate and flow control to match that of radio. I am thinking 4800 baud with either hardware or software flow control.  If these are not set correctly you will get nowhere. 

The computer simply toggles the RTS line (Donner's recommended line) to toggle transmit on this interface.

Todd
AD7VB
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »

The computer simply toggles the RTS line (Donner's recommended line) to toggle transmit on this interface.

That is called hardware flow control but there is still baud rate issue as it will not auto set at needed rate.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

OK I'm with you on the hardware flow control, but I still don't understand what baud rate has to do with it when 110 baud would be quick enough to toggle a rig to transmit with psk. There's simply a relay from what I remember from taking apart my interface.

For Rick just in case you're not aware where the settings are for the serial port in windows.

http://www.ict-america.com/pdffiles/Windows%20Vista-7%20COM%20Port%20Settings.pdf

Todd
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:02:48 PM by AD7VB » Logged
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »

Again, thanks for the attempts. I have now found that every thing works as designed in Safe Mode (once I thought to go there) :-) I have looked and searched to no avail as to what in the world could be hanging things up. All the settings are correct. I do not see anything that would be using the port, This is a new installation (all updates are installed) so no third party stuff has been installed. My understanding is if it works in Safe Mode it should be another program affecting it but it does not show it. This is my first experience with Windows 7 and it has been entertaining so far.  Huh

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »

Again, thanks for the attempts. I have now found that every thing works as designed in Safe Mode (once I thought to go there) :-) I have looked and searched to no avail as to what in the world could be hanging things up. All the settings are correct. I do not see anything that would be using the port, This is a new installation (all updates are installed) so no third party stuff has been installed. My understanding is if it works in Safe Mode it should be another program affecting it but it does not show it. This is my first experience with Windows 7 and it has been entertaining so far.  Huh

Perhaps this will help

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42197/how-do-i-determine-which-process-is-using-a-serial-port

System Internals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx

Todd
AD7VB
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »

Just to follow up. No one seems to know why this PC is holding my serial port hostage. It works briefly during any update checks or in safe mode but immediately locks down in transmit when the test is finished. It has to be a setting of some sort but Dell, Microsoft folks seem to be dumb about it. If i find a solution I will post so maybe in the future it might help some one else. (BTW, It is this PC, I have tried two others that worked fine). Thanks again for the input guys! :-)

Rick ^i^
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

Just to follow up. No one seems to know why this PC is holding my serial port hostage. It works briefly during any update checks or in safe mode but immediately locks down in transmit when the test is finished. It has to be a setting of some sort but Dell, Microsoft folks seem to be dumb about it. If i find a solution I will post so maybe in the future it might help some one else. (BTW, It is this PC, I have tried two others that worked fine). Thanks again for the input guys! :-)

Try assign port to like com 5 or 6 and make same change in software using it. There is a conflict somewhere with current port assignment.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: