Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell PC and Donner Digital  (Read 4847 times)
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

I did. I have disabled, uninstalled and reinstalled, updated gone through the bios settings and verified them and tried to boot up in diagnostics mode to no avail.  I have reached the end of my computer knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting. The issue is almost certainly a conflict but I have not been able to figure out what and apparently no one else has had this issue. I really appreciate the comments guys. Sooner or later I will find some one as lucky as I am and figure it out. :-)  73

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »

I did. I have disabled, uninstalled and reinstalled, updated gone through the bios settings and verified them and tried to boot up in diagnostics mode to no avail.  I have reached the end of my computer knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting. The issue is almost certainly a conflict but I have not been able to figure out what and apparently no one else has had this issue. I really appreciate the comments guys. Sooner or later I will find some one as lucky as I am and figure it out. :-)  73

Hi Rick,

It won't fix the problem with the onboard serial port but I would suggest you get a USB to serial adapter (FTDI) or a cheap serial card.

I'm betting whatever has ahold of the current serial port will leave the new one alone. For less then $20.00 it's worth a shot.

Todd
AD7VB

K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »

The USB/Serial adapter will/should be here Wed. 05/07/14 :-)
I have read to my eyes are crossed on this subject. Even on some of the Microsoft forums and no one seems to know how to control the ports. However, if you ever need to learn how to install a driver they know there stuff! Seems that is the ONLY thing they know about. :-(
It has been determined Windows 7 is the culprit as it keeps the serial port active with no apparent way to control it. It will not for what ever the reason, allow any other program or device to over ride the settings.
If any one happens to stumble on to a fix I will be grateful to read about it. Thanks, :-)
I really miss my digital modes and my CW trainer. Hopefully the adapter will fix that at least.

73 all.

Rick ^i^
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »

Hi Rick,

You got something else going on then Win7. I run 6 real serial ports and have ran USB to serial adapters on two of my computers with Win7 64 bit.

I hope the USB to Serial Adapter gets you up and running.

Todd
AD7VB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »

Have you tried going to the 'Device Manager' in Windows 7?  Usually, the Device Manager (access through the Control Panel--System and Security--System) will tell you whats going on with the various serial and parallel ports and possibly if there is any conflict if you look at the 'Resources' tab on each device.  The Com port that is in conflict will probably show that, and all you have to do is to look for another device that shows a conflict too.

Another good configuration reading program is the "Belarc Advisor," a free program available on the web.  If shows just about everything going on in the machine, including product keys and whether or not all fixes and upgrades are installed.

Good luck and 73!   
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »

I have a question? Do you have the correct physical port on the Dell? You mentioned about being attached to a 13 pin port on the computer. Com 1 should be a 9 pin port. I think that the new LPT1 ports were something on the order of 13.

Does the port have only two rows of pins? If it has more, it could be a video port. Com ports are generally 9 pin now and used to be 25 pin, but never 13 that I recall.

KF7CG
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »

ICOM has a 13 pin Din port on the back of the radio the this particular interface plugs into.

I believe that is what he is referring to.

Todd
AD7VB
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »

Yes I have been through the device manager and also through the Bios. There are no conflicts reported in the Ports (com and lpt). All updates according to Microsoft are current. The 13 pin connector (Donner Digital Interface) is from my 13 pin Acc. port on my Kenwood ts-140s to the serial port on the PC. Worked perfectly on XP. I have two refurbished Win. 7 machines now and it is the same behavior on both. I did run the Belarc Advisor this morning but it did not flag anything unusual.
And for those curious as to why I updated Windows, I use these two computers for financial resources too as well as my logging and digital side of the hobby so security is always a concern. I have also been through the Dell site forums with no luck. The PC's work great except for this one (hiccup) which digs in to my relaxing time. Thanks guys! Waiting on the mail lady....:-)

Rick ^i^
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »

FYI, Mail lady was on time!  The Serial to USB adapter worked! It took a few minutes to get HRD to play nice (didn't want to accept my port change) then Windows 7 decided it didn't want to let me choose my port but it finally saw things my way (had to update driver and re boot the PC) :-). Had an excellent QSO on 14.070 a bit ago and all is working as it should. Happy ole man right now. I still would love to figure out why the serial port is blocked but maybe I will find that answer one day. Thanks for all the help guys! Now, back to my code practice. :-)

Rick ^i^
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »

I expect you have done this. Are the default power up com port settings correct? What ever Win 7 has set for default baud rate, parity, stop bits, and hanshake line states will remain in effect until changed by the control panel and/or a program that controls the port. It could be that the default settings, as set in the device manager are what is causing the problem.

if you can find one put a serial line analyzer on the ports and monitor the states of the handshake lines. Look at the values when you bring up the computer and then as you change the port control settings in you logging/CAT software. I have never had this problem with either true com ports or USB adapters and Win &.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: