Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal (or lack thereof)  (Read 15691 times)
K9OJT

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

I responded to an ad from a ham that listed an Acom 1000 for sale.

I inquired about the condition of the amp. I asked about hours on the tube. I also inquired about any service issues and asked about pictures (none were offered in the original ad).

I indicated that I preferred FedEx Home delivery and would use PayPal.

And what response did I get?

"sorry no paypal"

None of the other questions were addressed. Just "no paypal".

That is fine. I understand people not wanting to use this method of payment. It is the seller's choice.

But PLEASE let the potential buyer know what terms of payment are acceptable in the original posting!

This saves time and the aggravation of trying to establish what is acceptable and what is not.

No terms were terms were outlined in the original ad.

Mike K9OJT

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:56:36 AM by K9OJT » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

Was this an eBAY item?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »

If that was the only response I got, I'd walk away from this one.  Unless you can see or touch it and then put it in your car, you are wide open to be taken!

Even with PayPal, you're taking some risk. People that don't provide details on what they have for sale are either stupid or shady.
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »

Was this an eBAY item?

No..It was not an Ebay item.
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »

If that was the only response I got, I'd walk away from this one.  Unless you can see or touch it and then put it in your car, you are wide open to be taken!

Even with PayPal, you're taking some risk. People that don't provide details on what they have for sale are either stupid or shady.

I did my homework on the seller. The seller met all my tests for legitimacy. Passed the 'sniff' test if you will.

I am convinced the seller is on the 'up and up'.

What threw me was the lack of response regarding any other avenues of payment rather than the verboten PayPal. It seems once PayPal was mentioned all bets were off. No pictures...no additional information...nothing.

It seems that once PayPal was suggested I became a pariah...not to be trusted.

The seller also had an AL-1300 that sold rather quickly...good for him!

I am still shaking my head over this one. No other accommodations were suggested...just no friggin' PayPal.

Blows my mind!!!!

Mike K9OJT
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:34:41 PM by K9OJT » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Walk away!!  He might have sold the 1300 but do you know if the sale went OK?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

Having dealt with PayPal on some eBAY transactions, they would be my last choice for any other on-line transactions.  I rarely deal with any exclusively eBAY sellers anymore.  I look to Amazon or other services first.
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »

when Sellers or anyone acts unfriendly and unhelpful - I walk away ! your spending your hard earned cash- The Customer is always right, Many sellers just want , "Good Soldiers ", to take whatever they are selling , if they are selling a "cherry", then they will let you know the particulars - in this case - you are the winner! Do not forget , i see a lot of people selling their problems and just passing them on to unsuspecting buyers. 73s, AJ
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »

There are a small number of sellers that believe that it is all about them...  They don't like Paypal because it gives the buyer some rights in the event an issue were to come up.  I.e. The buyer can open a dispute, which forces the seller to justify whatever issue the buyer has brought up. 

Both sellers and buyers have abused the rules...  When a buyer abuses the Paypal policy it can spook a seller for the next transaction.  On the other hand, there are some sellers, that don't quite represent things as they are, and Paypal holds their feet to the fire, and can force a refund.  The seller of course feels cheated, (maybe he was, maybe he got caught), and cries foul.  The next sale the seller refuses to take Paypal.

In any case I don't care what the reason is, if the seller does not take Paypal, I simply move on, I will not purchase from a seller who is afraid of Paypal rules...  Period.  There will be another rig just like the one he is selling from someone who does take Paypal. 

Some sellers unfairly class all buyers who request Paypal as a buyer that misuses the Paypal rules, and simply writes off anyone who wants to use Paypal.  This seems a bit harsh t me, so I choose to not deal with that sort of person, they can sell their radio elsewhere, and they will, by the same token, I will find what I want from a buyer I trust.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:17 AM »

Having dealt with PayPal on some eBAY transactions, they would be my last choice for any other on-line transactions.  I rarely deal with any exclusively eBAY sellers anymore.  I look to Amazon or other services first.

I have never had any problems with Ebay or PayPal and used it for many years and I have used PayPal for non Ebay transaction too. I never liked Amazon.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »

I am still shaking my head over this one. No other accommodations were suggested...just no friggin' PayPal.

Take a look at a LOT of the ads for $600-800 ticket items both in eham classifieds and swap.qth.com.  LOTS of ads only accept check (clear the bank) or money order. Some  only accept USPS money order.  Lots simply will not accept Paypal.  Now, I have traded through quite a few forums, an only in the ham forums do I see such a high percentage of sellers making this demand.  I assume it is either the demographic of the sellers, or the nature of the items being sold.

Since there are plenty of buyers willing to do it, though, I am in the minority and passed up several ads where this was a requirement on the buyer.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »

Now, I have traded through quite a few forums, an only in the ham forums do I see such a high percentage of sellers making this demand.  I assume it is either the demographic of the sellers, or the nature of the items being sold.

I have had extended "discussions" with sellers whom will not take Paypal...  On the whole they seem an unreasonable lot, and hence the reason I will not deal with them, I attempt to only deal with reasonable people.  The gist of no-Paypal seller's argument is they fear that the purchaser will somehow damage the rig, or steal parts from it, and then they will be forced to take it back, because of Paypal's policy which may allow the buyer to take advantage of the seller.  That is the cost of selling via the Internet, sometimes you get burned, most of the time you don't.  In the sellers defense, I have seen buyers I would not sell to, at any price, you know they will be unhappy, no matter what happens.  I can understand the sellers reticence to sell to someone via a Paypal transaction.  I just consider it an unreasonable solution, so I don't deal with them...  Period.

No matter if it is true or not, if the buyer insists on Paypal, and the buyer is reasonable, (i.e. don't expect a new radio, when you are buying used, read what the seller is saying, don't steal parts etc.),  all will go well.  If on the other hand a buyer cheats the seller in any way, then the seller should rightfully be jumpy, and fellow buyers should ostracize the cheating buyer.  We all know this does not, and will not happen, so we end up with buyer and seller distrusting each other, because of a few bad buyers, and a few bad sellers.

The converse is of course the cheating seller; who hypes his product up a bit to get it sold, or to get a slightly higher price for it.  Perhaps leaving out something along the lines of say-- many many very small scratches on the display, all not showing up in the photo(s) because the seller intentionally lit it to not show them, and then not mentioning the fact that there are many many tiny scratches on the display.  Make no mistake this sort of intentional mis-representation goes on all the time on all selling forms with regards to ham radio.

When I sell something, (and I will be selling several high end items like a PRO III, etc., very soon), I will allow Paypal, because I want the buyer to know that he can trust what I write about the radio, and that if he buys from me, he will get exactly what is described, warts and all.  I also trust the buyer will not try and cheat me, I will keep good notes on the items I sell, and I will list every single fault I am aware of...  If the buyer tries to cheat via Paypal, I trust the Paypal process to be fair and reasonable.  In 10 years of trading and selling I have had to use Paypal twice, both times the seller was insane, and it only showed up after the purchase.  My fault for not calling and talking to the seller.  Both times the items were small, and not a big issue, and both times Paypal agreed with me.  But it does scare a seller, and a buyer when an on line transaction happens.  I much prefer local people to purchase a rig, as they can look at it, touch it, etc.

People purchasing online need to remember, you are not buying a new rig, it will have issues unless the seller says it is perfect in every way, as a seller, you need to describe every single issue with the item being sold...  If buyers and sellers did this, you would not even need Paypal.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

Grin  Like you I've no beef with PayPal or eBay...... so far so good.

I don't care for Amazon either but use them quite often for lowest prices and fast delivery.  I just hope that I don't have an issue because I've heard that can be a problem.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »

I don't care for Amazon either but use them quite often for lowest prices and fast delivery.  I just hope that I don't have an issue because I've heard that can be a problem.

Amazon has a very customer friendly return policy for items shipped and sold by Amazon, and for FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon http://services.amazon.com/content/fulfillment-by-amazon.htm ) items which say "shipped and sold by _____" where Amazon is the virtual storefront and warehouse but you are dealing with a third party seller.    It can be confusing surfing Amazon's website with regard to third party sellers unless you look out for that. However it looks like the return policy is the same. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200386180&ld=NSGoogleAS

Amazon also has links on their store pages to external sellers which are ads.  I have yet to hear any problems with Amazon returns ...  

Huh when posting, what is the code to get a link address to only show up as the text tag you use to describe it?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:37:47 AM by K9AIM » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »

...Like you I've no beef with PayPal or eBay...... so far so good.

I've had my problems with paypal.  I appreciate those who haven't being open minded, but I don't see the problem.  For some people, sorry, no paypal equates to sorry, no deal--just as for some, sorry ONLY paypal equates to the same!  

For myself (and I've stated this before) I accept only post office money order simply because I had problems with paypal.  I insist on POMOs because you can go to just about any US post office to verify them.  Most larger post offices also can cash them, or, once verified, you can comfortably deposit them in your bank account without wondering if they're good!

End point--to each their own.  If you and the seller or buyer can't agree to a payment method, it's simply "NO DEAL!"  No need to go sniveling about it, take it in stride and look for another unit/item, even if the seller didn't specify in their ad.  Sometimes those ads are by the word, and hams are known to be a cheap bunch!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: