Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 on T-T Delta 580  (Read 666 times)
KF4OMY

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:53:03 PM »

Okay, I take my General Class Theory test in a couple of weeks and am interested in working PSK31 on HF. I have a Ten Tec Delta 580 and a PC with a sound card to work with and understand this is all I need besides PSK31 software to generate the signal.

My question is which connections to use on the Delta 580 to run it to the sound card. I understand that my Audio out goes to Audio In from the rig to the sound card and vice versa, but which connections on the Delta 580 should I use and will they work for this mode?

The front of my rig has a 1/4" Phone Jack & a 1/4" Mic Jack. Will these connections work fine going to the sound card or is my rig incompatible for this mode (it is late '70s technology....)

Also, will regular audio cables work for hooking it up or do I need something special and is there anything special that I should run inline between my Mic Jack and my sound card?

Thanks in advance,

ERIC, KF4OMY
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:43:29 PM »

The output from your PC sound card may overload the rig's microphone amp.   So you may need a voltage divider (10:1 seems to work) to reduce the sound card output level.

If you have a "line-in" jack for the sound card, the output straight from the rig will probably be OK.  If you only a "microphone" sound card input, you may need another voltage divider.

You need some way to key the rig from 'receive' to 'xmit'.  VOX works OK, if you have VOX, and set your computer to "No Sounds" using the Windows Control Panel.   Otherwise, you'll need a keying interface.

I would put split ferrites on both ends of the connecting wires.  A better way to avoid RF feedback is to use two transformers, so there's no direct coupling between the rig and computer.

With AFC enabled on the PSK31 software, even a late-'70's rig may have enough stability to work well.

The alternative is to buy an interface box that includes all the circuitry.  I used (and recommend) the Rascal from  

www.buxcomm.com

which is about as cheap as they come.

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: