Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C7A UN Special Event Station  (Read 2503 times)
AB3CX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »

Will this station be counted as UN HQ or as some other DX Entity?  Apparently physically located in Austria...
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »

Will this station be counted as UN HQ or as some other DX Entity?  Apparently physically located in Austria...

Only if the UN is planning on moving its HQ to Austria.  All of their other locations only count for the entity they are located in.

73, Gene AF3Y
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »

also keep an eye out for 4y1a and other one of those stations
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »

The only UN entities that are considered separate entities are 4UxUN in New York and 4U1ITU in Geneva.

WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »

C7A counts as 4U1VIC which is a seperate entity for the CQ DX
Marathon, this info is on the CQ Marathon website, 73 Dan WG5G.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

The only UN entities that are considered separate entities are 4UxUN in New York and 4U1ITU in Geneva.

4U1ITU is not a separate DXCC entity.  4U1ITU and 4U1WRC were both used at ITU Headquarters (INTERNATIONAL RADIO CLUB) and are only good for Switzerland. 4U1UN is UN Headquarters and 4U1VIC is good for Austria only. 4U1WB is the World Bank, which I worked but could never get a card.

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:59:57 PM by AF3Y » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »

4U1ITU is not a separate DXCC entity.  4U1ITU and 4U1WRC were both used at ITU Headquarters and are only good for Switzerland. 4U1UN is UN Headquarters and 4U1VIC is good for Austria only. 4U1WB is the World Bank, which I worked but could never get a card.

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,
 Check your DXCC list - 4UxITU is a separate DXCC entity. 4UxITU and 4UxUN are the only ones as far as the ARRL is concerned.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

4U1ITU is not a separate DXCC entity.  4U1ITU and 4U1WRC were both used at ITU Headquarters and are only good for Switzerland. 4U1UN is UN Headquarters and 4U1VIC is good for Austria only. 4U1WB is the World Bank, which I worked but could never get a card.

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,
 Check your DXCC list - 4UxITU is a separate DXCC entity. 4UxITU and 4UxUN are the only ones as far as the ARRL is concerned.

Yep, you are correct, although I don't know why 4U1ITU is separate.  Perhaps ARRL HQ should be separate as well hi hi
I mean, if you do a lookup, the call is for THE INTERNATIONAL RADIO CLUB, not the ITU. Hell, I don't care, I worked em so long ago........ Still pissed that I cant get the World Bank card. Angry Angry

73, Gene AF3Y
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »

I have a 4U qsl that counted for a DXCC country other than United Nations (NYC) or UN HQ (Switzerland). Anyone care to guess what country that was?

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »

I have a 4U qsl that counted for a DXCC country other than United Nations (NYC) or UN HQ (Switzerland). Anyone care to guess what country that was?

4U1VIC   -   Austria

73, Gene AF3Y
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »

4U1VIC   -   Austria

73, Gene AF3Y

Not Austria.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »

Back in the early 80s there was a small number of 4U/xxxxx ops that were part of a UN peacekeeping force in the Golan Heights - they counted for Syria.  Not sure if this is what you're thinking of.
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »

Back in the early 80s there was a small number of 4U/xxxxx ops that were part of a UN peacekeeping force in the Golan Heights - they counted for Syria.  Not sure if this is what you're thinking of.

That's it, Syria. I worked VE7AAZ/4U in 1981; the qsl says, "This station is located in Syria but at present is Israeli occupied. This card counts as Syria (YK)." Card was good for my first YK DXCC credit.

btw, VE7AAZ was with the Canadian Contingent United Nations Disengagement Observer Force, Golan Heights.

Lots of history in DXing.... Smiley
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »

Yep, you are correct, although I don't know why 4U1ITU is separate.  Perhaps ARRL HQ should be separate as well hi hi
I mean, if you do a lookup, the call is for THE INTERNATIONAL RADIO CLUB, not the ITU. Hell, I don't care, I worked em so long ago........ Still pissed that I cant get the World Bank card. Angry Angry

73, Gene AF3Y

ITU HQ is a separate entity because of its significance for telecommunications, including amateur radio.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »

4U1ITU is not a separate DXCC entity.

'tis too

Rule 3(a)

3. Special Areas

The Special Areas listed here may not be divided into additional Entities under the DXCC Rules. None of these constitute a Parent Entity, and none creates a precedent for the addition of similar or additional Entities.

a) The International Telecommunications Union in Geneva (4U1ITU) shall, because of its significance to world telecommunications, be considered as a Special Entity. No additional UN locations will be considered under this ruling.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: