Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unix Solaris  (Read 6681 times)
SA2CER

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

Are there any good ham related software for Solaris UNIX ?
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »

Take a look at DX Zone.

Rick ^i^
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »

I don't have an answer for your question but I have one for you.

Why run Solaris and not Linux? Within the scope of UNIX like systems you'll find much more amateur radio software developed, tested, and pre-compiled for Linux than Solaris (or BSD too).
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:48:04 AM »

I don't have an answer for your question but I have one for you.

Why run Solaris and not Linux? Within the scope of UNIX like systems you'll find much more amateur radio software developed, tested, and pre-compiled for Linux than Solaris (or BSD too).

A:  Because he wants to run Solaris.  He didn't ASK for Linux info.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »

There is precious little software written for Solaris.  Given that, are there any Solaris based emulators for Linux?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

if you can find the appropriate libraries for Solaris and do a make on the source, these apps may well run.  there are subtle differences in the arguments for commands, requiring for instance "The Unix and X Command Compendium", ISBN 0-471-01281-5 (the version I have at my work desk) and tickles where needed in the source code.

with -ix, it's all in the libraries.  with the correct ones, things should mesh with the kernel and its close relatives.  without, judicious hacking in a bunch of setup files is the rule for any hope at all.  that's dangerous territory to tread, even if you know what all those ill-documented settings are.  hacker territory.

if this all reads like Greek run through Google translation ten times, stop here, get another confuser for the ham stuff.  I personally don't live at that level any more, and got WinSlows 8.1 for the shack.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:23:03 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »

If you get the proper libraries almost any Linux ham software can be compiled and used.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

If you get the proper libraries almost any Linux ham software can be compiled and used.

Yup.  But keep in mind that you will not find many prebuilt binaries.  You will have to install prerequisites and build the software yourself.  If you are looking to build something like fldigi, finding the correct audio drivers will probably be the hard part. (My Solaris box is a server, so I have no idea if alsa or other audio drivers exist on Solaris.)

Geof
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

As others have noted, you're not likely to find pre-built binaries; but you can probably compile some of these from available source code.

What version of Solaris are you running (Oracle, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, SmartOS)?

I haven't heard of too many end users running Solaris these days.

You may wish to switch to Linux, unless you're using some feature available only on Solaris.

-KB3VWG
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »

As others have noted, you're not likely to find pre-built binaries; but you can probably compile some of these from available source code.

What version of Solaris are you running (Oracle, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, SmartOS)?

I haven't heard of too many end users running Solaris these days.

You may wish to switch to Linux, unless you're using some feature available only on Solaris.

-KB3VWG

Solaris has ZFS which almost makes up for the lack of support for other open source packages.  FreeBSD is looking to become the leader here though.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »

UNIX has now turned 45 years.

Here is the UNIX Family Tree from the 40th Anniversary (2009)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9133696/The_Unix_family_tree

Through the years, I have moved through Xenix, SunOS, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, and Linux (RedHat SuSE, uBuntu).  As I remember, the biggest issue I had, 25 years ago, was remembering the BSD 4.3 / System V syntax differences.  Typing command line instruction and getting no results or wrong results happened on a few occasions.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9133696/The_Unix_family_tree
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:24:41 AM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: