Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile monitoring VHF/UHF. Handheld vs. Mobile rig.  (Read 3715 times)
N0LWA

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »

I am an old ham just recently returning to the hobby. I don't currently have a mobile rig but have a couple hand helds. At this point I am mainly interested in monitoring the 2 meter and 440 repeaters as I travel.

With an external antenna on the car can I expect to receive just as well with a handheld as I can with a mobile rig? Obviously a mobile rig will be superior in tx but I am curious about rx.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »

An ht will certainly hear as well as a mobile rig with a mobile antenna. I`ve heard some say they can overload an ht with strong signals. As far as receiving only,the ht should be fine. The audio might be hard to hear at highway speeds however. Even with a mobile rig audio can be difficult without an external speaker. Remember also that an ht can go flying if you ever have to stop suddenly.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »

Depending on the HT you may experience some intermod problems in areas where there are a number of commercial transmitter around. In the past I've used an HT mobile with an external antenna on a regular bases and except for a few areas that I traveled through I didn't have any problems. Depending on the HT, you might find a speaker-mike more convenient than holding the HT during transmit. My biggest issue was that I sometimes forgot to put the HT back into the car before leaving for work. In the long run I prefer to have a permanently installed mobile rig.
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

I often use a HT with speaker mic and external Larsen antenna on my Jeep.  Easy to pull out for security or hand carry.  Works well.
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

Been there and done that. I know a couple of folks doing it that way still.  Not a problem. The speaker mic is a great help.
KC0BWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »

Works fine. Pickup a Mirage 2m/440 amp and you'll have all the power of a mobile with the portability of an HT and without the hassle of having to remember the memories of multiple radios and menus...
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »

Another inexpensive upgrade to the external speaker mike - add a $15 MFJ extension speaker, and if your headrests move up and down on chrome rods, mount it to the headrest rods, so the speaker is right behind your head.
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »

Baofeng UV3R to a Tram 1185 in my work vehicle.  $7 Baofeng speaker mic from Amazon.  Works very well on my Freestar...and even with the Tram's coax being RG-58/U, it does a fine job on the local 444.000 repeater (where basically ALL of Buffalo hams hang out on due to it being linked to 29.68/222/146.91).

KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: