Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet Radio and Grid Computing  (Read 1117 times)
N9OGL

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »

Hello everyone,

I've been recently looking into grid computing and wonder has anyone ever thought of using packet radio for grid computing?
I think it would be a neat little thing to try in ham radio, yet I don't know what uses it would be good for. I know what grid computing is, I've been in it for a long time, but what uses in ham radio would it be good for?

comments?

Todd N9OGL
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »

Would the idea be to use packet as the coordinating mechanism?  I haven't looked into the AX.25 protocol in depth yet, but I'm sure it could be used to coordinate resources.

Geof
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »

The problem with packet radio is that even at 9600 baud it is incredibly slow by todays communications standards.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »

Which is fine for coordination, but could be severely limiting if you require a large data set
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »

I recently downloaded this software http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/VmServer along with VirtualBox to see what applications It could be used on over packet radio. Another route would use a higher network like AGW, which uses a sound card instead of a TNC. For the time being I'm experimenting with a application with a Linux Networx Evolocity I cluster supercomputer with a fiber optic network. Eventually, soon I'm going to start apply wireless (packet) networking to the system.

Todd N9OGL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: