Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality control software  (Read 10147 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »

I assume per first example that if I had originally logged him in at 10 watts and later work him on another band and he says 1000 watts, that okay to change?

I can tell you that several times I worked a station twice in ARRL DX and I copied two different powers, and then I did a correction towards what I thought was the more accurate copy, that I corrected the wrong way and lost credit for both QSO's!

Sometimes better to not overthink it. After-the-QSO-corrections can make things worse! Usually better to trust what your ears heard at the time.

Is running a software program that shows obvious typos legal?

I would rather advise that you simply inspect Cabrillo by eye. Especially headers.

Sometimes the things flagged by logging software as "obvious typos" are actually just funky weird-ass-WPX-prefix callsigns. I've logged LM1814 many times in contests, and have it confirmed in LOTW, but every piece of logging software tells me it's an obviously busted callsign :-).

If you go around fixing everything the scrubbing software complains about, you will end up busting a lot of calls that you actually did copy correctly.

If you are a new gun in a contest it can be a little intimidating to ask a running station for a fill. It can be even more intimidating to ask the running station for his callsign! But as you get more experience and especially do contests where exchanges are complex (e.g. NASprint or sweepstakes) you will be more confident about asking for and getting fills.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:13:37 AM by N3QE » Logged
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »

Thought I asked a legitimate question. NOT expecting some crap reply.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »

QE. Exactly why I asked the question. Any changes from fills sometime run the risk of a double fault.

On occasion I start typing the next field into the call sign field and wind up with some ugly call signs like W1XXMA or W1XX59.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »

Guess it's how you read it, from CQ contest rules: "Post-contest correcting of call signs by using any database, recordings or confirming QSOs is not allowed"

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »

First of last comments directed to IU, sorry for any confusion.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 05:09:27 AM »

These aren't typing contests.

No, but accurate logging of exactly what you heard is very much a part of the skill required to be a good contester.

True, but correcting a "fat finger" mistake can also be considered accurate logging.  A reasonable acid test is this:  "Is this a mistake you would have made if you were using a paper log?"  In other words, it's highly unlikely I would write W23XYZ in a paper log, while in the heat of the action it's possible to hit the 2 & 3 keys together.  Another example:  I have W2XYZ lined up to call and have typed his call in the call window.  For whatever reason, I forget that and when I work him I type in his call again an proceed to enter the exchange, resulting in a log entry of W2XYZW2XYZ.  Again, this isn't something that would occur with a paper log.  I will always correct these types of errors if I notice them - and I always have.

I assume per first example that if I had originally logged him in at 10 watts and later work him on another band and he says 1000 watts, that okay to change?

Is running a software program that shows obvious typos legal?

Some stations (not many) send different powers for different bands.  Some stations might send a different power if their amp dies, or they decide to turn the amp on.  Quite often these are more casual types that may or may not send in a log.  If they do send in a log, it may be flagged by the log checking as having an unstable exchange, in which case you may not be penalized for logging different powers.  I would not change an exchange element unless I have a very good reason for doing so.  (Again, see my NM vs MN example)

I wouldn't waste my time hoping some program will help to find typos.  There are too many possible exceptions.  Do a quick eye check on your log before submitting it - most obvious things tend to stand out.  You may not get all of 'em but, in most contests, that's not going to be the difference between winning and losing.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: