The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BeagleBone Black (BBB) and other ARM hosts  (Read 58396 times)
N2CKH

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

Hello All,

As to running Linux for an embedded platform for Amateur Radio projects I have been quite taken by the BBB. The ARM hosts are getting more and more powerful and so many are coming along that choosing one will soon be difficult. The Wandboard multicore has also caught my interest. Then too the Intel Atom family is growing with boards coming along soon that will be in the price class of the ARM boards like the BBB but more powerful and in the x86 family.

Since being turned on to the BBB for a MARS project, my development ideas notes file has grown and grown. Some will be of little interest to anyone but me likely however others have much greater appeal to those in the hobby.

The first project that I have gone public with that will be made available to the ARS for use is BBB-ALE. A BBB based 2G Automatic Link Establishment Modem/Controller for which I am currently mapping out the design specification and getting familiar with the BBB and its interfacing options.

A draft design specification which is seeing frequent updates can be reviewed at:

https://www.n2ckh.com/MARS_ALE_FORUM/BeagleBone_Black_ALE_Modem_and_Controller_Development.pdf

Those interested can following the project development can do so at:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BeagleBoneBlack-ALE/info

/s/ Steve, N2CKH

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:42:12 PM by N2CKH » Logged
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:53 AM »

The pdf doesn't load. My browser says it cannot connect to n2ckh.com

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 04:01:09 AM »

Correct link...

http://www.n2ckh.com/MARS_ALE_FORUM/BeagleBone_Black_ALE_Modem_and_Controller_Development.pdf
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »

It wasn't the link that failed, but connection to your domain that failed.

I did get the pdf this time.

Thanks.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »

Hello.

Beagle Bone Black is kind of neat, but remember that there are computers with radios and color screens attached that are fully battery powered that can do the same thing.
Of course, I am talking about re tasking a cellphone.
AT&T bought Cricket, and is going GSM/WCDMA by the years end.
That means a million plus cellphones are hitting the open market, cheap.
Neat application.
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Something else worth looking into: ODROID.
Like the XU3 has 8 core CPU @ 2.0GHz, USB 3.0, 2GB DDR3L... and more.

Or for those on a budget, there is the C1 which has quad core CPU @ 1.5GHz, 1GB DDR3 and has the same small form factor of the other SFF devices like the Pi

de K4ISR
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 04:40:32 AM »

I just picked up an ODROID XU4 and am quite impressed. With USB3, it's actually practical  to have a hd connected. I think it will be a while before the PI's catch up.

I would think if you intend to run any of the digital apps, this would be the host to run them on just because of the CPU and RAM.

I had a purpose for this one (replacing a PC LAMP server that went up in smoke), but am so impressed I might get one for play.....

Peter
WB8LZR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »

I just picked up an ODROID XU4 and am quite impressed. With USB3, it's actually practical  to have a hd connected. I think it will be a while before the PI's catch up.

I would think if you intend to run any of the digital apps, this would be the host to run them on just because of the CPU and RAM.

I had a purpose for this one (replacing a PC LAMP server that went up in smoke), but am so impressed I might get one for play.....

@N2CKH: Thanks for the link.  Anything to do with these little SoC boards is a great ham addition.  They're cheap and easy to fit into a project box along with ham boards.

@VA2PBJ:

I have the XU4 as well as the Pi2.  The Pi2 tends to pause once in a while to take a gulp of air when running an SDR/Quisk setup.  This "gulp" causes occasional reception gaps from the latency, although it's still quite usable.   The XU4 powers right along with no problems at all! It never needs to take a breather.   It's as good as my AMD desktop in most respects, and a tenth of the power draw. I also have a C1 (little brother to XU4) that can run without pausing for breath. The C1 is not any more costs than the Pi, so should be a contender. 

OTOH, the Pi2 supports the awesome 192 KHz Cirrus piggy-back audio board, so I tend to use it in spite of the pauses.

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

The big thing that makes the XU4 so usable is the USB3. I have a USB3->ESATA interface and the unit runs off regular HD. Plugging in an USB AUDIO device is a no brainer.

That said, USB2 drive is still puch faster than the flash.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: