Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new ham shack in construction  (Read 8174 times)
KL1XB

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »

I am in the beginning stages of constructing my "new" ham shack. It will consist of a FT-897D, an older Vista laptop, FP-30, SCG-239 tuner, and other misc parts/pieces. Hoping to work vox, psk31 and maybe some CW (once I dust the rust off the mind). I am now running into an "issue".....Antenna's. Spousal unit doesn't want wires in the trees, towers in the yard nor antenna's on the roof. I have managed to get the ok for a 6 foot VHF/UHF antenna but that is it. That will sit approx 20' up at the peak of a single story ranch. I am now thinking of trying the "rain gutter" antenna. I have a rain gutter approx 52' long (continuous) and up 12'. I am going to properly ground the metal downspouts (don't want suprises). I think 160M is out but I am good with that. I want to work 80 meters and down. One more wrench in the works.....I have high power electrical transmission lines running through my backyard about 85+ feet up and 100 yards away. 
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »

The secret to communication is a common point of reference.

Contact Valmont for a brochure for their 900 series self support towers. After hours, call Tessco and ask for them to call and leave a message with a quote for a 1000' spool of 1-5/8" Heliflex. Do the same with a local concrete company for a price on 65 yards #4 concrete delivered. Wait a few days then draw a few sketches of your house with a 300' tower in the background - and toss them in the trash.

At the end of the week order a couple 31' Jackite poles, a little coax, 24 gauge mil spec hookup wire, and some window line. She'll help you put up and take down an antenna in 5 minutes, with little trace it was ever there.

N8LBF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »

Brilliant, KV7W, just brilliant.  I love it.

Its about time we bring our own firepower to this eternal struggle of psychological sparring.

Dave
N8LBF
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:55:11 AM »

I am blessed!  My wife holds a general and we have been using 2-meters since way before yuppies even thought of cellphones. This is her only use of ham radio.

So far as antennas, she has helped me many times in putting things in the air. Want a new rig? Here's the checkbook.

Life is great!

KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »

A good relationship always involves compromise that can be thought of as the average of two opposing ideas. If we assign a number to each letter of the alphabet in a linear fashion starting with A=1 through Z=26, we can use it to calculate our final antenna system.

Assuming our wives love us in a linear fashion, with no complex variables involved, we can assign a constant of A=1 for her side of the equation. If we want antenna system B=2, we can see by the formula (A+B)/2 that our antenna system will have an expected performance level of 1.5 on a scale where the high is 26. This means our antenna system will perform at a level, (A+B)/2>~0.   

However, if we input Z=26 into the equation the expected outcome of our antenna system will be closer to ~13.5, which is acceptable performance for a small home system. Thanks to the law of averages, and the fact that 1>, but ~0, our antenna system at 13.5 will have a net gain greater than what the average would be if we had nothing at all.

Due to the fact that wives factor our relationships using complex numbers that have many variables and few constants a mean average should always be used when comparing the calculated outcome with the measured results.
K4TFJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »

"Spousal unit doesn't want wires in the trees..."

Consider a scientific expermiment. Hang and random length long wire in the trees. Since it will be a single piece of wire, you may honestly say that it is NOT "wires", but "A" wire. She may not even see it!
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »

Spousal unit doesn't want wires in the trees, towers in the yard nor antenna's on the roof. I have managed to get the ok for a 6 foot VHF/UHF antenna but that is it.

Does she have any hobbies that you support? Sounds like a little compromise is in order. With those restrictions you may as well forget HF. If you can load the eaves-trough, she'll be screaming at you for coming over the TV when Dr. Phil is on.

How about a flagpole antenna? Is she patriotic? You can get on 40-10 with a homemade vertical disguised as a flagpole.

Keep us posted.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »

Re: KL1XB

If your Spouse likes song birds another option is the standard bird house on a pole inverted L trick. Mine is a 12 ft. 4x4 post 2 ft. into the ground under a 70 ft.+ pine tree with 60 ft. of vertical insulated black wire threaded up through the overhanging branches, the 60 ft. of horiz. L is 10 ft. AG and threaded in a somewhat straight line through the branches of another 4 trees. Center coax connection, tuner/balun ect. are inside the bird house I made, feed line is buried coax from house to backside and up post. All wires invisible to the unknowing although I have a couple suet bags and hummingbird feeders hanging from the horiz. wire which look like they are hanging from the tree branches. The only static I get from the XYL is when I don't keep up my duties of replacing the suet or refilling the feeders.           
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: