Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What external speaker do you prefer for your station setup?  (Read 23898 times)
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

Best speaker I have was an intercom speaker from school that was being torn down.  Used a headphone amp with it.  The Icom SP-3 is good too, and matches the rig.
WF2D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 07:56:15 AM »

Currently in my station I'm using a Bose companion II computer speaker system for my computer and HF and it works quite well. I also tried to get the audio output from my keyer intergrated into it, using the line input, But I can't seem to get the line in level to change. For VHF I wanted the Radio Shack Minimus 7 speaker, however I couldn't find a set for a reasonable price. I found a set of KLM bookshelf speakers in the flea market, similar in size to the Mininus 7, but it has a plastic enclosure instead of die cast metal. Total cost for two speakers 5$! I am also using the other one on my scanner. Previously I was using an old Radio Shack Minimus-0.5, similar in size to the Minimus but in a wood grain enclosure.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

Once a DXer starts to use a good set of headphones there is no going back to speakers.  For rag chewers good speakers are the best choice.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 06:36:31 AM »

Previously I had used some "computer" speakers and those sounded like crap.

I now use a 14" PA speaker in a big wooden box. I love it. No tinnny sound at all.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Once a DXer starts to use a good set of headphones there is no going back to speakers.

+1

A DXer using speakers is equivalent to a hardcore sports-car enthusiast driving an automatic transmission.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »

I now use a 14" PA speaker in a big wooden box. I love it. No tinnny sound at all.

Yessir !

We do very little "DXing " mostly chatting with friends the shack is heated so the ears don't get cold Wink . Most of the folks I chat with have exceptionally good audio , good speakers are deeply appreciated .We have used many different speakers over the years ,small "communication type" , medium and LARGE .  The 12 inch University Lansing bass reflex used with the AR-88 does an impressive job . Works great for CW as well . If I had room , there would be an Altec A-7 "Voice of the Theatre in use as well ! We do like to cruise the AM broadcast band and the big sound plays there especially well . Wink
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »

I am happy to see discussion of speakers getting print time. It is my non-expert personal opinion, that the manufacturer's speakers leave much to be desired, at least to my ears. Further they are overpriced, for what one gets, unless a matching unit is of prime concern. I have not been impressed with matching rig speakers, irrespective of the manufacturer. Of the small/mobile/portable speakers, the two best I have come across, are the "weighty" Texas Ranger speaker SR 168 ( mine came chrome , but a can of satin black ended that) and the Yaesu ML-100. Both equal or outperform some of those rig "matching overpriced speakers". I have looked inside recently Kenwood and Icom speakers - empty elongated metal containers with minimal or no dampening/soundproof material behind. Placing batting or sound proofing material, as has been mentioned, will improve the sound - a non expensive task, that the manufacturers could easily have done. Speaker builders tell us metal or plastic is not a good choice for a speaker cabinet, some of the top rated speakers on eham are in wood cabinets, better sound absorption. Further does a 6 or 7 inch wide cabinet, have to be 12 inches deep ? According to the experts, NO !  Calculations (and there are a lot of references on the internet), put the depth loosely at nearly twice the depth of the speaker.This is a very loose interpretation of the calculations let it be noted. So wasted space adds to poor speaker performance. My current speaker project is a vintage speaker with a 5" X7" Collins reproduction 4 ohm 12watt speaker with plenty of soundproof/dampening added to the old "tin" - my best sounding speaker so far. Anyone want to buy a matching speaker?
Oh well, I am happy I got that of my chest !
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention, that if you decide to build your own station speaker, a speaker with midrange specs is a good starting point and covers the voice frequency range. It can be difficult to find low watt speakers/replacement speakers to complement the transceivers specs.Three companies to consider for speakers are Parts-Express, Nebraska Surplus Sales and Q Components from Canada, that ship to USA for a couple of dollars more than local shipping.
WA2AC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »

VOICEMASTER if you have the room.
N6BIZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »

CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER WITH A SMALL AMP ...
REAL GOOD...
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »

Hello All!  For all of you who comprehend sound quality and prefer the use of external speakers for audio legibility and reducing listening fatigue, what do you prefer to use in your station? 
  If you built your own speakers, please state what size of driver, type of cabinet enclosure did you use?

For off the shelf options I really enjoy are the now discontinued Radioshack's Optimus branded Minimus-7 speakers. I have found it works real well for every mode I have tried it on from CW-SSB-FM-AM without the high end becoming too harsh under normal equalization and sounds great in the mobile.
  I personally use a pair of 3 inch drivers in ported enclosures at the QTH and they provide a very smooth mix from lows to highs.  They are part of a JVC stereo I picked up at the local Goodwill store.
  I have not had a chance to try speakers made for amateur radio as I will not purchase anything unless I actually try them first!   Thanks for your input!

Nothing but the finest, Yamaha HS-50M!
K9EID

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »

No question everyone -   JBL Control 2P.  These are near field monitors for serious recording studios.  They come in a pair and each have a 35 watt at .1% distortion amplifiers, built in.   Truly the best.  You no longer use the highly distorted 1 watt amplifiers in the transceivers.  If you really want to increase the quality and flexibility of your receiving capability, use a small mixer fed directly from the line out in the accessory plugs and then drive the 35 watt amplifiers with the clean output from the mixer.   You also have equalization for the received signals.   It truly is THE answer for your receiving set up and this pair of JBL Control 2P speakers are available for around $150.00.   For less that a 'matching' box with a 3" speaker. 

BOB HEIL, K9EID
KD5GR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

No question everyone -   JBL Control 2P.  These are near field monitors for serious recording studios.  They come in a pair and each have a 35 watt at .1% distortion amplifiers, built in.   Truly the best.  You no longer use the highly distorted 1 watt amplifiers in the transceivers.  If you really want to increase the quality and flexibility of your receiving capability, use a small mixer fed directly from the line out in the accessory plugs and then drive the 35 watt amplifiers with the clean output from the mixer.   You also have equalization for the received signals.   It truly is THE answer for your receiving set up and this pair of JBL Control 2P speakers are available for around $150.00.   For less that a 'matching' box with a 3" speaker. 

BOB HEIL, K9EID

Bob, I saw the Ham Nation episode in which you recommended these speakers and explained how to properly use a mixer.  It was very helpful and your JBL speaker recommendation was much appreciated.

Chas.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »

I took a different route.  I had bought a communication speaker from an old Motorola public service 'drawer' type radio at a flea market once, and the thing in its metal box sounded pretty good.  Next time I was at a flea market and saw a couple of them, they were from newer Motorola systems and had a heavy plastic case.  Bought them and they sounded even better than the old one I had.

Those speakers were designed for noisy environments to make the received speech sound loud and clear--and they work very well at that.     
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

Those JBL's are nice. I used to do events at work having to run cords all over the place, then hired a DJ that came in with a set of these. He used wireless guitar picks ups to connect to his board. We could put the speakers anywhere with a power receptacle to plug them in - even 100' away on a different floor. They have a lot of built in adjustment and are solid. 

You could monitor the radio from a different part of the house or in the backyard. I thought they'd be cool for field day - set the speaker up by the food tent and hear what's going on without bugging the operator. A good guitar pick up is about $125, but it allows them to be moved around - and they are made to be banged around. Just don't let the kids know they can be hooked up to iPod and cranked up; might not see them again.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: