Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What external speaker do you prefer for your station setup?  (Read 20425 times)
AD0AR

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »

Hello All!  For all of you who comprehend sound quality and prefer the use of external speakers for audio legibility and reducing listening fatigue, what do you prefer to use in your station? 
  If you built your own speakers, please state what size of driver, type of cabinet enclosure did you use?

For off the shelf options I really enjoy are the now discontinued Radioshack's Optimus branded Minimus-7 speakers. I have found it works real well for every mode I have tried it on from CW-SSB-FM-AM without the high end becoming too harsh under normal equalization and sounds great in the mobile.
  I personally use a pair of 3 inch drivers in ported enclosures at the QTH and they provide a very smooth mix from lows to highs.  They are part of a JVC stereo I picked up at the local Goodwill store.
  I have not had a chance to try speakers made for amateur radio as I will not purchase anything unless I actually try them first!   Thanks for your input!
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »

Palstar SP-30H. I searched for years and have settled on this one.  Did you check the Speakers category on this site? Lots of reviews, opinions, insights, etc.

73, N4KZ
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »

I use some $50 Creative computer type speakers.

I do recommend getting amplified speakers and connecting them to radio line output rather than the 10% harmonic distortion speaker output to get better quality audio sound.
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

Thanks for your input N4KZ!  I didn't see a speakers category in the forums main index as they jumped from special events to station building with no speakers category.  I saw other posts which quickly got off the topic (nothing new here) so I posted exclusively for operators who use external speakers. Where exactly could I find the speakers forum that you speak of N4KZ?
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »

I agree with N4KZ.  The Palstar, SP30H speaker...  nice.

Have fun deciding.

-Doug
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »

Sounds Sweet, best Ham speaker ever made ....I think they still make them..Denny K8KAS
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »

To find a wealth of information about speakers on eham.net, go the reviews category. Then scroll down, down, down to the category for "speakers for communication use."

You will find many reviews of speakers of all types for ham use.

73, Dave, N4KZ
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »

I use a 12 inch co-axial University bass reflex , nicely built wood , corner style cabinet  . Built around 1957 and it sounds great on the GPR-90s as well as the NC-183D . Another favorite is the big Hallicrafters R-42 , also a bass reflex . Good for use hours on end without a trace of fatique .

I have an old RCA drive in movie speaker (the old hang it on the window , jump into the backseat type) that is used as the monitor for my little 2 meter rig , sounds real good for the limited audio from the Yaesu FM rig .
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »

Coupla a Drake MS 4s with Acustastuff stuffing  added for Drake gear.  Changed out the drovers on a couple of S Line speakers and added damping, they are not as good as the Drake boxes but not bad. Most older ham speakers are standard car audio sizes... 5x7, ect.    Also found a pair of Advent two ways which came with an Advent  desk top FM receiver to be very good.  I would suggest that if you want to build a set, order up a free Parts Express catalog.  Plenty of drivers and knocked down enclosures to chose from. 
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

Speakers? People actually use those? I've always used headphones and assumed everyone else did too.   Shocked
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »

Speakers? People actually use those? I've always used headphones and assumed everyone else did too. 

yes, yes and wrongo...  don't assume.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

SOme of us with quiet locations and good antennas can actually use a speaker and enjoy it. 
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »

None
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »

I've found the absolute best to be a center channel speaker from a surround system.  Engineered for speech.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

Efficient full range speakers work great . The receiver response should be tailored to suit as desired . I have even seen the Altec Voice of the Theater speaker system put to amazingly  good use as a station monitor .
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: