Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What external speaker do you prefer for your station setup?  (Read 22238 times)
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »

I've had several pricey speakers over the years, but the best I've heard is an unbranded 3x5" one I got at a yard sale for $1. You never know what's going to work!
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

Nice topic.  I have not posted here in a long time. 

I have been buying empty Electrovoice Aristocrat cabinets from estate sale vendors and people on craigslist.  Most of the old EV cabinets from the 1950s are really Paul Klipsch designs.  The Aristocrats were sold as kits and you could configure them in a variety of ways.  I have three now that I have gone over to restore the mahogany or walnut veneer.  They take a 12 inch, so I have picked up old stiff cone full range speakers at hamfests, Jensen, CTS and Zenith and GE.  Take an ohm meter with you to the fest to test the speaker coils.  These speakers can be usually had for just a few bucks each.  After experimenting I figured out which baffle port to open for a good bass reflex.  I drive these speakers with a pair of old Heathkit p.p. 6BQ5 12 watt amps feeding them audio from a sync detector or envelope detector tap via a small mixer.   I don't care for wearing headphones at all.   If I have to wear them to make a QSO, then the signal I'm trying to copy is marginal. 

Rob
K5UJ
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

He RCA bookshelf speakers found on EBay are top notch. Rated at 8 ohms and 30 watts with a tweeter and woofer it works great. Here is the link for the reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1327
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »

I use a 12 inch co-axial University bass reflex , nicely built wood , corner style cabinet  . Built around 1957 and it sounds great on the GPR-90s as well as the NC-183D . Another favorite is the big Hallicrafters R-42 , also a bass reflex . Good for use hours on end without a trace of fatique .

I have an old RCA drive in movie speaker (the old hang it on the window , jump into the backseat type) that is used as the monitor for my little 2 meter rig , sounds real good for the limited audio from the Yaesu FM rig .

Drive in speakers are fantastic for what they are.
Weather proof, shielded, and durable.
They do have the odd "hook" and cheezy finish/color.
The hook makes a good rest for a desk and simply clean and prime it.
Take it to your local body shop when they are spraying a color you like!
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »

For wide freq response I prefer an old orphaned stereo speaker I found at rs on closeout. One of the larger floor models, makes great bass. For ease of employment however the minimus types as mentioned previously work way better than their size would indicate however a more limited freq range favoring voice over music. Sometimes you want a speaker with more bass, sometimes not. It's nice to have the ability to select a response.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: