Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dead hard drive,well,,,  (Read 3317 times)
W9WQA

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »

thur nite it worked fine. fri morn no boot. retry, no boot blue screen and hexidecimal hyroglifics!
i swapped mem,unhooked other drives, reset all cables,yelled and screamed, no luck,it was dead. i tried a few ord drives and they would boot part way since they never lived in this unit.  the comp is ok.

i put the dead drive in a usb external drive adapter i keep for checking stuff in another computer. it showed up!!
i quickly copied some stuff onto the good unit.
then i went to properties,tools,error checking, and checked both boxes not really knowing what to expect. at one i lost contact and turned it off/on. it connected again.
it took a long time, i played freecell.
finally it quit and the loong report showed NO ERRORS. mine you i tried booting a dozen+ times.

i put it back where it lived and im using it at this moment!

its been off/on about 6 times,so far so good.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

Back it up and replace it.  You are living on borrowed time.  Sooner or later the Hard Disk Grim Reaper will show up.  My guess it's a heat related failure.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

Back it up and replace it.  You are living on borrowed time.  Sooner or later the Hard Disk Grim Reaper will show up.  My guess it's a heat related failure.

Yes he is playing russian roulette with 5 loaded chambers with that drive.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »

For any hard drive, it is not a matter of IF it will fail, it's only a matter of WHEN. If you don't have a backup when it fails then you loose!  Sad
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »

It will die and die soon. Don't be foolish, replace the drive now while you can still access the data on it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:15:10 AM »

Agreed.  It will fail again, and soon.  This time you might not be so lucky.  Replace it now while you can still access the drive and read the files from it.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »

hey, i appreciat the advice and i really am not on top of just how to backup .
can i do it on a BIG sdhc card / usb adapter? and what do iend up wtih. its on this machine! and i just lost my linux ssd on another comp. it also had a hd but sad no backup because  i thought linux was doing it.

help!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »

There are software programs out there that will allow the machine itself to copy directly from one hard drive to another.  Usually there are both spare power connectors and spare hard drive connectors in the machine, so you can temporarily connect a new hard drive, 'clone' it using that software, then take the old hard drive out and put the new one in.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:50 AM »

i need more info on that operation. i have hd's and i know computers fairly but never did much backup since i used them and got new"used" ones.

strange,the same thing happened with my linux unit where i had a 120 g ssd "die" and also have a one tb hd in it. i think the sata cable was??? because later when i took out and put back the ssd it worked again. thats in another thread.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »

Try: http://clonezilla.org/

Also...I think I helped you on another thread about you Linux HDD...2 failed HDDs in less than a week is rather odd...
Did you have any power issues or did you do any other work on your PC's in the last few days?

-KB3VWG
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »

nothing i can point to.  this has been just linux for a couple yrs and it is just the ssd problem as its all fine,at this moment!

the other is an older xp machine donated to me last yr. i dumped some old stuff from the previous owner and it also has been solid, but ?old. you migh have read how i got it back to living!by running it on a usb hd adapter,finding it!, and in "tools" i let a program search thru it fixing as it went for an ? hr?
i forget the name an its not on this linux unit.

ive always had a few machines around, backup you know, but not the right kind.

any advice welcome.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:44:21 AM »

you migh have read how i got it back to living!by running it on a usb hd adapter,finding it!, and in "tools" i let a program search thru it fixing as it went for an ? hr?...
any advice welcome.

Well, I've also had the experience of needing to recover data from a HDD that no longer initializes ("spins up") or boots inside of a computer. Connecting the same drive to a USB adapter worked. As others have noted, you're working on borrowed time, once a HDD stops operating as it should, STOP using it, until you are ready to recover the data you need from it.

I would suggest purchasing a replacement HDD and installing it into your PC. Then, install a fresh copy of Ubuntu (14.04 is the most current version - supported for 5 years), then hook up the old HDD in the USB adapter and copy over any files you wish to keep.

-KB3VWG
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

you migh have read how i got it back to living!by running it on a usb hd adapter,finding it!, and in "tools" i let a program search thru it fixing as it went for an ? hr?...
any advice welcome.

Well, I've also had the experience of needing to recover data from a HDD that no longer initializes ("spins up") or boots inside of a computer. Connecting the same drive to a USB adapter worked. As others have noted, you're working on borrowed time, once a HDD stops operating as it should, STOP using it, until you are ready to recover the data you need from it.

I would suggest purchasing a replacement HDD and installing it into your PC. Then, install a fresh copy of Ubuntu (14.04 is the most current version - supported for 5 years), then hook up the old HDD in the USB adapter and copy over any files you wish to keep.

-KB3VWG

I always image copy old drive to new one and do not need to reinstall anything.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »

I always image copy old drive to new one and do not need to reinstall anything.

I would suggest that, but then I'd be making 2 assumptions:

a.) That there's nothing wrong with the data on the current drive (in another thread he described there might be data issues or that he may have installed over his preferred setup)
b.) That he'll be able to do a disk clone easily

-KB3VWG
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »

On my desktops I have installed a second internal hard drive. I then use Dell Local Backup to create an image of the C drive on the second drive. I also use Dell Local Backup to make a boot CD. If the C drive fails I install a new drive and boot from the CD which brings up Dell Local Backup and locates the image on the extra drive. I restore the image and everything is back to normal and I can boot from the new C drive. I update the image any time I install new programs or make other system updates. I also use Dell Local Backup to make backups of changed data files. I also use space on the second drive to manually keep copies of large but non-critical files to keep from overloading the C drive.

I used to do backups to a network drive. It was a nice idea (all computers backed up to the same network drive) but the internal drive is much, much faster. A complete image to the network drive took a long time.

It's saved me many hours of work a couple of times now. Install the new drive and go have lunch. When I get back the computer has rebooted from the new C drive and all data is restored.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: