Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dead hard drive,well,,,  (Read 2986 times)
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »

im reading this all and going to try to do as advised with a new drive (or 2).
tell me why,when i boot from the cd supposedly 12.04, or the hd with the same os on it, i get the bleak looking "ancient" desktop.
i know im not using the right words. it looks like almost nothing, nothing on the left side, just a few choices at the top.

remember i did ok 3 yrs ago when i installed this but i got spoiled! and lazy, and for got some stuff because oit worked without a hitch for a while. i have given up a lot of my older desire to mess with computers, just want to run it and build my station up better.

and to avoid confusion i am on my xp unit right now. both are working, with my fingers crossed till i get a new drive.

tnx again

note,the last post showed up while i was typing.
yes i can see you guys are way ahead of my in comp operation. i had my fun yrs ago!.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:40:35 AM by W9WQA » Logged
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

I would run SpinRite ( www.grc.com ) on that thing, and clone it now.  unless there is a hard, hard fail like dragging heads or dead electronics, SpinRite has done wonders for me over 15+ years.  set on Level 4 it regenerates many a dead sector to full operation.  but at that level, it can take a day to run.  make sure you have good cooling across that drive Wink
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »

Hi, the Gibson product is very good,

I also have used Macrium Reflect, as suggested in another group.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

73 james
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 03:53:06 AM »

There seems to be quite a process to restore or clone a hard drive.
Sounds like the op is being bombarded with viruses. It would be best to start with an entirely new HD, reload all of your software. Grab the important files from the failing HD and THEN make an image or clone of that fresh installed OS onto another NEW HD. C'mon they're so cheap now.
Here is a wiki link that speaks about cloning, imaging, restore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

Large companies keep images of the users and when a computer crashes or is infected with a virus; the IT guy just wipes the infected computer with the image.
The big problem is getting a fresh start with everything working and make a clone or image. When the computer is infected with a virus, it becomes a losing battle.
fred
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »

I always image copy old drive to new one and do not need to reinstall anything.

I would suggest that, but then I'd be making 2 assumptions:

a.) That there's nothing wrong with the data on the current drive (in another thread he described there might be data issues or that he may have installed over his preferred setup)
b.) That he'll be able to do a disk clone easily

-KB3VWG

It is nt hard to do and some retail hard drives come with needed software and a external USB to ATA adapter is not expensive. Given the amount of updates needed to be installed for Win 7 and Vista i saves a LOT of time and if you are trying to keep XP alive it makes even more sense.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:47 AM »

im copying files to a sdhc card and will get a new 2nd drive.
any advice on a good brand since its years since i bought one.
p dont need a giant, just a reliable one?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 06:02:49 AM »

Brand is not really a issue. Just get size you need but would suggest you get a 7200 rpm one and not 5400. There are a bit quicker. Also do not use it as a second drive, use it as only drive and remove old one.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:20 AM »

just a reliable one?

my only issue!  would 5400 last longer being slower. i never need speed.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »

just a reliable one?

my only issue!  would 5400 last longer being slower. i never need speed.

Life span is no shorter and likely longer as 7200 rpm drives have a larger onboard cache too which reduces some load on drive heads. 5400 RPM is a older and dying standard like 4500 and 3600 rpm before it. Soon main stream drives will be 10,800 RPM as they try to stay viable against SSD's.

W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »

ok, got the message. i like advice from guys who are ahead of me in areas i need help. saves time!.  ill be shopping.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »

Getting high performance parts and equipment is fine as long as the parts and equipment is really needed for what you want the computer to be used for.  Just getting the newest and best equipment available to say that you have the newest and best equipment there is to have when you really don't need it isn't always a good idea---unless you have the extra money to just throw around....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:31:08 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: