Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring up a key  (Read 3101 times)
N3DCP

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »

I picked up a straight key few months ago from another ham and now that I have a rig that I can use CW with I'm looking to wire it up. I have a stereo audio jack that I'm gonna wire it to but whats the correct way to go about it? 1 wire to ground and 1 wire to one of the rings on the jack is that correct?
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:00:59 AM »

I picked up a straight key few months ago from another ham and now that I have a rig that I can use CW with I'm looking to wire it up. I have a stereo audio jack that I'm gonna wire it to but whats the correct way to go about it? 1 wire to ground and 1 wire to one of the rings on the jack is that correct?

Yes, the rig manual will tell which one to use. My yaesu used the tip.
Also, if the radio has a keyer function, you have to turn it off.

N3DCP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:12:22 AM »

Yes, the rig manual will tell which one to use. My yaesu used the tip.
Also, if the radio has a keyer function, you have to turn it off.

Ok thanks, yeah I know I have to turn my keyer off I have the FT-817. Should I use shielded wire or would normal wires work just fine?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »

The plug has a "tip", a "ring", and a "sleeve". The tip is on the end of the plug. The ring is next to the tip. The sleeve is the main part of the plug.

A straight key is normally wired with the key arm connected to the sleeve of the plug and the key contact to the tip of the plug. The ring connection is not used. Many radios will also let you use a mono plug that has no "ring" for a straight key.

Normal wires should work fine.
N3DCP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »

The plug has a "tip", a "ring", and a "sleeve". The tip is on the end of the plug. The ring is next to the tip. The sleeve is the main part of the plug.

A straight key is normally wired with the key arm connected to the sleeve of the plug and the key contact to the tip of the plug. The ring connection is not used. Many radios will also let you use a mono plug that has no "ring" for a straight key.

Normal wires should work fine.

Thanks that explains it perfect. I only messed with 2 other jacks before so I'm not too familiar with how they wire up.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »

If your radio 'locks up' when keyed, you may need to use shielded wire on the key leads, and you might even need to put an RF bypass capacitor inside the radio at the key jack. This was necessary with the Icom 703 - could also happen with the 817.
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »

Snap a torroid core around the keying lead, mike lead or anything else that is picking up RF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: