Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vizkey is retired  (Read 3381 times)
W8VVE

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »

I recently went to Vizkey website only to read he has retired. 
Just passing on this info...73. Sam. W8VVE
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »

I always wanted one of his vertical bugs, ah well
WB5AGF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

I saw Tom (K4VIZ) at the Mena (Arkansas) Hamlast on Friday (Sep 5th) and, yes, he is out of the CW key building business (or at least he thinks that he is). I tried to elicit comments that might indicate that he could still be 'bought' but came away with the feeling that he thinks that it's time to be 'really retired'.

I'm concerned now as there doesn't seem to be a source of reasonably priced, but still quality built, CW keys. I think that you can still find some of the el-cheapo plastic CW keys, and there are a few sources of hyper-priced keys (pure unobtainium vapor-deposited over a collapsium core), but it seems that there's now a vacant space in-the-middle-ground.

Paul, WB5AGF
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »

Good to know Tom apparently is doing well. His keys are very interesting pieces of craftsmanship. I had a nice chat with him about his right-angle bug (I have one) and the problem-solving he underwent to figure out how to solder the springy stainless steel section to the brass lever.

I can understand how making keys became an overwhelmingly demanding project for him. He was very accommodating of custom work when requested and he was constantly coming up with new models.

Hopefully he is enjoying life more now. At least until he becomes obsessed with something else.
WB5AGF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »

Friday Morning
12 Sep 2014

I had an e-mail from Tom last night (I'd asked his opinion on how to remove some light surface rust from the chromed bases of a couple of older Vibroplex keys I'd bought from him last weekend) and he commented that he was getting over having mowed 3 acres on Wednesday.

When I read that it reminded me of how it affects me when I mow just one acre that belongs to a friend when he is out of town. My yard is much smaller and there are times when I wish that I had the room to play with some wire curtain array antennas but then, when I mow my friend's yard, I'm glad that I don't have that much land ....sigh

- Paul, WB5AGF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: