Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do if you lose your contact's signal?  (Read 5524 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »

Getting ready to make my first cw qso and have been playing through the usual contact format in my head. Today, I started to wonder what I would do if the station I am working disappears on me, because of propagation or some other reason.

I am surprised no one has brought this up yet, probably because they did not want to risk hurting your feelings. Unfortunately, there are those out there who don't have much patience for a sloppy fist. I am not saying that this would be the case with you, but being brand new at CW, your speed, timing, spacing, etc. will probably be a little rough. Sending takes a lot of practice. There is no shortcut for this other than "pounding a lot of brass".

One of the "other reasons" might be that the other guy did the cowardly thing and simply tuned away. One of the other things that takes patience is working someone who is new at CW and not everyone you run into has that level of patience. But please, don't take it personally.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »

Getting ready to make my first cw qso and have been playing through the usual contact format in my head. Today, I started to wonder what I would do if the station I am working disappears on me, because of propagation or some other reason.

I am surprised no one has brought this up yet, probably because they did not want to risk hurting your feelings. Unfortunately, there are those out there who don't have much patience for a sloppy fist. I am not saying that this would be the case with you, but being brand new at CW, your speed, timing, spacing, etc. will probably be a little rough. Sending takes a lot of practice. There is no shortcut for this other than "pounding a lot of brass".

One of the "other reasons" might be that the other guy did the cowardly thing and simply tuned away. One of the other things that takes patience is working someone who is new at CW and not everyone you run into has that level of patience. But please, don't take it personally.

As a CW neophyte, I can vouch for this! It happened to me when I first "dammed the torpedoes" and ventured on the air with very little sending practice plus marginal ability to copy. After trying to rag chew, they were GONE !!!! dit dit dah dah dit dit  got me more dead air.

Do not be discouraged! Fast forward 9 months to my recent QSO was with a guy who has been a ham for 55 yrs, and he complemented my fist! Perhaps he was being kind, because I know that I have spacing issues, but apparently he copied everything i sent.
Baptism by fire is not for everyone, but the pressure made me a better op.

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

The other thing to watch out for is when the band closes or "goes off like a bucket of prawns in the sun" as we say in Australia.  Grin I have had a great first 10 minutes to a qso and then while the other op is sending his signal fades away to nothing......from 599 to zip in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds..... I just send a quick sequence to see if he is still there and if no reply send a closing message.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »

Monkey dead.  Show over.

73 Mike W8MW
N4MPM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »

Re -insert and use shorter dits. Roll Eyes
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print