Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Begalli key  (Read 18175 times)
WA6KYR

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »

I love their keys and want to buy another one.
any thoughts.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

Wish I was going to Dayton, Bengalli will be there and I could try out his keys. Hate to spend that kind of money for a key that might not feel good for me.
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »

My favorite is the Signature.  It is moderately priced (for a Begali  Grin).  It is typically beautiful as are all Begalis, has a great adjustment range, is easy to adjust, and you can even adjust the paddle spacing.

If a straight key is your desire the Spark is the best there is IMO. 

I have both the signature and the Spark.

73 Gene K3GC
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »

The Camelback is a great key. At least I think so. Am thinking of getting a Spark in the Fall.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »

Check out the HST. I have one as my primary key.

WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 05:10:47 AM »

My favorite is the Signature.  It is moderately priced (for a Begali  Grin).  It is typically beautiful as are all Begalis, has a great adjustment range, is easy to adjust, and you can even adjust the paddle spacing.

If a straight key is your desire the Spark is the best there is IMO. 

I have both the signature and the Spark.

73 Gene K3GC

Ditto - Have not used any others... the Signature and Spark comprise my Begali collection...  No compelling reason for me to search further...   Be sure to get the gold contacts on the paddle...   just saying'

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »

I love their keys and want to buy another one.
any thoughts.

Depends on why you want it more specifically than pure amore  Grin.

Interesting to me (and why I have them) are:

The Intrepid bug is quite a piece of design, endlessly adjustable, will work at speeds as low as about 12 wpm. Excellent if you have the bug love or is it the love bug?

The HST which is a fine single lever paddle and also a very nice sideswiper at the flip of a switch. Tension and contact spacing instantly adjustable. I have the older model with a longer lever. It works very well, is self-centering and weighs 4 lbs so it doesn't dance around. The newer, shorter lever model, also has a good reputation.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

I have had the Signature Magnetic, which I bought from Piero at Dayton a few years ago.

Honestly, I thought the phrase "Ferrari/Cadillac of keys" was stupid.

Well . . . . . . It kinda fits right here.

Love the key.
WA6KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »

I own a Signature and I just was curious if Begali makes a better iambic key
or if  I should stop while I am ahead.  Thanks for the replies  Richard
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »

The HST which is a fine single lever paddle and also a very nice sideswiper at the flip of a switch. Tension and contact spacing instantly adjustable. I have the older model with a longer lever. It works very well, is self-centering and weighs 4 lbs so it doesn't dance around. The newer, shorter lever model, also has a good reputation.
The new model is what I have. It also has a drilled-out paddle, which I like.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »

Isn't the HST for 45 wpm or higher use? Yikes at those speeds a keyboard sounds even better.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

Isn't the HST for 45 wpm or higher use? Yikes at those speeds a keyboard sounds even better.
Not in my case. I rarely get above 25. You can run it at 3 WPM in sideswiper mode if you want.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:36 AM »

I had a really nice N3ZN dual paddle key and loved it, but at Dayton about 4 years ago I played with the Begali Mono Sculpture single paddle key and found (a) after all these years of using iambic keying, I really preferred single paddle keying and (b) the Begali key had the perfect feel for my hand and sending style.

After gulping at the price, which meant spending more on one key than the sum total I'd spend on keys and keyers in 45 years as a ham, I said "it's only money, you never see the bank truck in the funeral procession: and bought it. Been loving it for 4 years now.

I use the N3ZN key for Field Day, where the other ops like two paddle keying, and you can't go wrong with that one either.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »

I also like the HST.  I have a signature and it works well but with it I am always adding an extra dot or dash where it does not belong.  I don't do this with the HST.  Slow or fast, this key works well.
Art
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:42 AM »

Single Lever first

Then take your pick after that. For high speed work I prefer magnetic return. Begalis spring mechanism is terrible in my view, its very mushy  and its adjustment range  is not broad enough in my view. Its hard to adjust for a sweet spot

The HST key would be my choice, however frankly speaking any good single lever by N0SA or N3ZN would be good alternate choices.

If you have attended any HST competition you will soon realize that operator skill is  more important than the  brand of key. The keys that the champions
use especially from East Europe and Russia are primitive as hell. Many are homebrew  but  there seems to be a popular single lever key that I dont  know who
makes it. I could not really get the answer to who makes these  Russian HST Keys.

One thing I do suggest you get is a Key Dynamometre. I learned  a lot about good and bad keying mechanisms by testing keys with this instrument. The dynamometre
confirmed my low opinion of the early Begali spring return mechanism.

At the end of the day its personal technique and  finger taste!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: