Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap TNC  (Read 1077 times)
KD5LPB

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:13:09 PM »

Hello,
I'm fairly new to these forums. I've been lurking for a while, but rarely post.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a cheap way to get involved in packet? I'm very low on cash, so any idea is appreciated. I've already looked around and found some adapters that utilize the USB port and sound card, but am wondering if there were any other alternatives?

Thank you,
Ross
N7USR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:33:09 AM »

I began the same quest as you about 4 months ago.

Charles, N5PVL, got me to look in to soundcard software called "FlexNet". I went to the website and downloaded it, set up a simple keying circuit to my HT, and got the software running. Works great!

I eventually got a cheap (75 bucks) Kantronics KPC3 that I connected to a spare radio so I could use my laptop for a dedicated weather station but I found that the Flexnet soundcard setup has superior sensitivity over the KPC3. It can decode packets when the sound level is in the dirt.

The setup can be a little interesting but if you have good intuition you can figure it out. I think the help files are in German.

But it got me on packet for the cost of one transistor, a couple of connectors and wires. Very simple. Check out uspacket.org, that's Charles' website. There are pages in there that have connection diagrams for keying your radio. Check it out. I did and have been on the packet BBS here in San Diego ever since.

73's

Greg
AB2KT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »

Also, check out the Paxon packet terminal program at http://www.paxon.de. There's a tutorial in English, but the program is slick, very easy to set up, and works really well with the soundcard modem.
N7USR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »

Thanks for mentioning that Paxon program. That was recommended to me by N5PVL as well. I had forgotten to bring that up. It works well with FlexNet.

73's

GReg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: