Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS480HX for QRP with battery power?  (Read 1991 times)
EI2HPB

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:17:11 AM »

Would like to hear from anyone who has ever used the Kenwood TS480HX (200w version) for portable work with battery power. Not the most suitable rig for this I guess but I have one as my backup rig and I'm thinking about trying some SOTA operation this summer...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »

Just a quick look at the specs show a current draw of 1.5A for the receiver with no signal.  The transmitter shows a current requirement of 41A when transmitting at full 200W power.  While you can dial the power back to a nominal 5W on transmit, I venture to guess that the circuitry will still draw a significant amount of power.  You will have to make some actual measurement to determine just how much.  (My TS2000 draws 8A when operated at 5W output vs the full 100W.)

So just for drill, lets assume that you can use the transmitter at 5W and it draws 10A at that level.  Assuming a ratio of 80% listening and 20% talking, you will need a power allowance of 3.5AH+ per hour.  For a 4 hour session that is 14AH+.  Assuming 50% depletion of the battery, a total of 28AH+ of battery capacity will be required.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

Its high current draw is less an issue than the question will it work on a battery at 11V?

First it will suck down power thats a given and that means you need a large battery (greater than 30AH)
 even for a short operating window.  If you not carrying it around on your back larger is better.

However the specs give no idea on will the radio run well or even tolerate a voltage drop as the
battery discharges.   All the specs are at 13.8 +-15%.  Most radios will not be damaged by
low voltage but more than a few just don't work well at all or stop working.  Remember a cars
electrical  system is 13.8V with the engine running.  the Battery sitting is 12.6 to 13.2V and under
load after a few minutes it will be in the 12.4-12.6 range.  When your down to about 50% on  a
large lead acid your under or near 11V.

If someone can answer if it works at or below 11.8V (15% below 13.8V nominal) is the real question.

Allison

EI2HPB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

Its high current draw is less an issue than the question will it work on a battery at 11V?

First it will suck down power thats a given and that means you need a large battery (greater than 30AH)
 even for a short operating window.  If you not carrying it around on your back larger is better.

However the specs give no idea on will the radio run well or even tolerate a voltage drop as the
battery discharges.   All the specs are at 13.8 +-15%.  Most radios will not be damaged by
low voltage but more than a few just don't work well at all or stop working.  Remember a cars
electrical  system is 13.8V with the engine running.  the Battery sitting is 12.6 to 13.2V and under
load after a few minutes it will be in the 12.4-12.6 range.  When your down to about 50% on  a
large lead acid your under or near 11V.

If someone can answer if it works at or below 11.8V (15% below 13.8V nominal) is the real question.

Allison

+1... I emailed Kenwood but heard nothing back!!
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »

I use the TS-480SAT portable, well at least car portable with a large battery. The 480HX may be similar.

There is a table of power output vs. current drawn and details of overall current and Amp/hr requirements on my web page at:
http://www.astromag.co.uk/batteries/

73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: