Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using the OPP 817+ battery with FT-817?  (Read 3822 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

I'm thinking of building a supped up 817 and I'm wondering if anyone uses the W4RT OPP 2700mah Battery with the FT-817. What kind of battery life are you getting out of it? I know the current drain is not good but just wanted to hear some real life experiences with it. Otherwise probably better to just carry one of those blue Lithium batteries as a power source.
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »

I have the pack. In general the cells used have a short life compared to other NiH batteries. But I have had good luck with this pack. The usage time is noticeably longer, but I never measured

George, W6GF
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

I bought the W4RT 2700 mAh pack about a year ago. When fully charged I am able to push 5 hours, Rx only and still have enough voltage to run the radio. Realistically I guess you could get 3 hrs with a fully charged pack and a lighter RX/TX cycle.

This isn't the answer for the weekend camping trip or field day. However I like having a radio that is always ready (I keep mine topped off) for a few hours of use when the power goes off or I just decide to run out to the park with my MP-1.

Doc WB0FDJ
K1THP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

Check out the Lithium Polymer battery sold by Ham Source. The Cat. No. is WLB-817. It is lighter and charges faster than the older replacement NiHydride battery sold by others. The kit consisting of battery, a very light weight charger and a new battery compartment cover which supplies a charger jack and a switch to turn off power to the FT-817 when it is not being used. This keeps the battery from discharging while not being used. The cost is around $75 complete with replacement batteries alone for $50. I have used this system in my 13 year old FT-817 for up to 2 weeks on a single charge. Granted this consisted of short sched type cw QSO's evenings during a two week vacation with random short operating intervals during the day. I could not get that kind of life from other high capacity internal batteries sold for the FT-817.The charger is a switcher type and is a stand alone type that does not require a rats nest of wiring and a heavy outboard analog regulator and wall wort power supply to keep a NiHydride type battery charged. Needles to say it also travels easier in a carry on bag or a backpack.

Dave    K1THP
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »

That's interesting. How long does it take to charge the battery and could I buy a second one to easily replace when one is drained? Also, isn't there a difficulty with Lithium batteries dropping below 9 V?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: