Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of building a supped up FT-817ND  (Read 5139 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »

I have always loved the FT-817. I used to own one about 10 years ago. Since then I've owned a TT Jupiter, a Elecraft KX1, K2 and KX3. The KX3 was obviously and incredible radio and I've been spoiled by CW ops on both TT and Elecraft. I felt that the KX3 was almost too much radio for me since I don't do a lot of heavy contesting. I also felt the KX3 was fragile which I don't like.  I also don't do a lot of portable work but given my urban living and wanting the ability to be able to travel with my radio, I need something that is compact and portable and can run on batteries. I also need to break down my station, cannot have a permanent set up.

To sum it up, I'm thinking of putting together a supped up FT-817ND via W4RT: 300 hz Filter, One Big Punch mic and the large battery pack they offer that will give much longer battery life. Given all this, I'll have money left over for the Alpha Loop antenna. I already have an LNR 20/30/40 antenna.

Does this sound like a good move? I love how you can just throw it over your shoulder and get on the air. I also love the 2M SSB option.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:45:27 AM »

FWIW

Yeah I think this should work pretty well. For all of the FT-817's virtues, it's a bit of a power hog compared to other QRP rigs so the battery pack you mention should be a good addition to the rig. If you work CW you will definitely want the filter, it makes the radio usable in a crowded band.

Good luck with it!

Doc WB0FDJ
KD0WZW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:48:12 AM »

I haven't read a lot of good things about the one big punch mic mod.  You might want to think about modding your mic with a different element or something instead.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »

I was going to suggest something like this, built by SP5VR

http://www.qrz.com/db/SP5VR

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WT1J

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »

... and the large battery pack they offer that will give much longer battery life.

Thanks I had not realized you can get double the battery life with the same size pack. Found these guys:

http://www.w4rt.com/FT-817-Accessories/One-Plug-Power-FT-817.htm

Any opinions on what they're selling?
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »

I've used W4RT since 2005.  They just upgraded my new FT-817ND with the dual filter board (300/2300 filters), internal DSP, and a 2700 mah battery.

I have the OBP mic and the quick changer for their battery pack.  And the cranker knob.  I like their products!

They are a great company and I reccomend them highly.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »

I bought the OBP , the CW filter,SSB filter and the battery from W4rt.  The CW filter is amazing, the battery is much better.  as for the other two....if I had it to do over I wouldn't have spent the money.  I saw no improvement.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »

I was going to suggest something like this, built by SP5VR

http://www.qrz.com/db/SP5VR

Hello.

I saw that and was impressed at first.
But, I have the FT-897, only a bit larger radio.
The FT-897 does 100+ watts out of the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: