Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really care why an item is up on the block?  (Read 5705 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »

I don't want to know, because it's irrelevant to the sale.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »

I'm actually surprised how often I'll see..."bought it yesterday. Unpacketed it, but never used it. Selling now." it makes me shy away!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

I'm actually surprised how often I'll see..."bought it yesterday. Unpacketed it, but never used it. Selling now." it makes me shy away!

I just figure all the sellers are lairs...  That way I know what I am walking into.  If they are decent people, I am always pleasantly surprised.  I am pleasantly surprised a lot!  For the few times I get nicked, there is always Paypal.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »

I consider the "why" irrelevant.  The reasons are legion. 

I drove my last car for 20 years.  My brother owned at least 5 during the same period.  Each one was the best he ever had...... go figure!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:41 AM »

Interesting, until now I always thought Ham radio was called a hobby and any related gear homebrewed, bought or modified with the intention to sell at x time or for x amount of dollars was called Retail with all the standard caveats.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:17:37 AM by W1JKA » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »

Jim:  Good answer.  I think the original poster is like the rest of us when occasionally an inane question forms in our mind and then we become obsessed with finding an answer. 

On more than one occasion I have run across a real deal that immediately throws up a red flag and the question, "why is he getting rid of this fine piece of gear and for such a low price?"

An example of this was when a buddy of mine offered a tailgater $20.00 or his used Ham IV rotor and controller.  ($650.00 value!) I almost swallowed my teeth when the guy accepted. 

I had red flags flying all over the place but it wasn't my deal.  Fortunately, both the rotor and controller were in pristine condition. 

Who knows why the guy sold it for that amount?  This was several years ago and I still have this question in my mind.

KF5JOT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »

Depends on what is up for sale. I deal with some things that missing paperwork can make it much more expensive in the long run. Hidden damage likewise. I've walked away from what looked at first as screaming deals because of problems the seller didn't want to or tried not to disclose.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »

It depends on the item, and the information provided can sometimes be useful in learning about the item, or even who the seller is, their technical competence to judge equipment condition, and even what their motivation for selling and pricing is.

The 'West Coast Handbook" I purchased friday, doesn't need much explanation, but I did get it for $9.99 from a general used book seller.  On the other hand, another edition from a ham who knew how to properly label the sale, and the going price for these books, drove a much harder bargain.

It does matter if knowing if I'm dealing with A. A retiree downsizing his shack, but has sentimental attachment to the radios B. an auction hunter who deals in general antiques C. an active and competent Boat Anchor enthusiast who has carefully restored and accurately described, D. a fellow with too many radios who has never gotten around to restoring it, and just wants to clear out with minimal fuss and a modest price, etc. etc.

So, YES it is generally helpful to know WHO and WHY is selling.  b.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

I like to speak with the seller before buying anything of any real value.

It's disheartening to hear, "I'm selling this because I was laid off and need the money to pay the rent and buy food," but if it sounds sincere, that answer is likely true and it's not a bad reason.

I've also heard, "I bought this without telling my wife, and now she's giving me hell about it because she saw the credit card statement" -- and I heard the wife in the background yell something like "damn straight!' -- which convinced me that one was probably true, also. Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

It depends on the unit for sale too.  For instance, I bought an Icom V8000 locally a year after they first came out from a gent who got it from HRO in Salem NH.  He just didn't think it was worth it to drive all the way back up there (about 90 miles) just to return it, and either didn't want to bother or couldn't ship it back.  Yeah, he lost a little on it, and I saved some money but didn't lose the warrantee since he gave me the original sales ticket.

Sometimes the goods are like new and there is a legit reason for the sale as someone already said--and sometimes there are hyidden issues--you've just got to be careful.
KD7YVV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »

Well, I always like to hear a bit of the backstory on an item.
For instance, I have a Kenwood 930SAT that came from a ham in Yakima, WA.
I haven't used the radio and it's too much radio for me, so rather than let it sit and collect
dust, I'd rather sell it to a ham that would use it. Sure, you'll hear some sob stories that are
fat whoppers, or you'll get a piece of equipment where lies were told by omission. I guess it
all depends on the character of the person selling the equipment. Now, some hams may be
of the attitude, it's no one's business why I'm selling, where others don't mind talking about
why they're selling.  Here's another example, my wife and I inherited my mother in law's first car.
She was crying tonight because she has an emotional attachment to it. It was her mom's and I can
understand that. I think too, ham radio is the same way. Hams get older, move into places with CCR's
and are unable to pursue the hobby they love in the way they've pursued it. It can be sad to see the
radio you made your first contact on go out the door knowing you'll never use it again.
I think as long as a sale is made in fairness and is above board, it's up to the seller to tell the story.....or not.

ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »

No, don't care.

There appear to be just as many scammers selling for "the widow of an SK" as there are real people selling for "the widow of an SK".

Buying used ham equipment can be a crapshoot. When I was looking for my first HF radio and a mobile dual band, I ran across a lot of good deals.  About half were legit.  For example,  I ran across Yaesu 857D for $500 three times.  Twice, they were legit and sold. Once was from Paul Alexander aka Timothy M Carroll.  Look it up. Pure scammer for the past 12 years. He was selling for "his uncle who had passed away".

Or, there is they FIRST time I tried to purchase an IC-7200.  The thing was one month old.  I offered $700.  He accepted.. then hesitated... then accepted.  Made me jump through hoops to bring him $700 one hundred dollar bills.  So I jump through these hoops, head over to his house and on the way he calls me. His "friend" talked him out of it. He thought that because it was "new", he needed to get more. You know something (and back on topic)?  I DON'T CARE.  I wrote him off at that point.   I don't care what his sob story is. It makes no difference.  During this time, that there were SEVERAL other nearly new IC-7200s that came on eham/qth that were $800 SHIPPED with an antenna tuner.  I took one of those.

There are deals out there. There are stories out there. Sometimes the stories are used to affect the price.  Since the stories are completely unverifiable, they hold no sway over me. Thus, I don't care why an item is up on the block. I only care that it works as advertised.

p.s.  The two folks I ultimately bough from were fantastic. The items were better than advertised, appear to work perfectly, for a really really good price (IMHO).   
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

It can be sad to see the radio you made your first contact on go out the door knowing you'll never use it again.

Won't be an issue for me, as that radio was the ham radio club HF rig at Syracuse University in the 70's.  An SB102 IIRC.   Cheesy
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »

I like to speak with the seller before buying anything of any real value.

It's disheartening to hear, "I'm selling this because I was laid off and need the money to pay the rent and buy food," but if it sounds sincere, that answer is likely true and it's not a bad reason.

I got a Icom IC-735 off Craigslist for $375. The guy had had his van (only means of transportation he had) stolen after leaving the keys in the door one night. He needed another van, so it was fire sale time. Five good condition HF rigs and a bunch of non-working ones. He's still posting CL ads trying to unload old rx's that he collected over 20 years. Keep in mind that he's been trying to unload virtually everything in his house that's not nailed down, including his boat, for several months. When I drove to his house to get the 735, there was police markings and cones out front showing where the van had been, and a homemade sign saying "when you are done with my van, leave it here or call xxx-xxxx, reward available, no questions asked". Heck of a story. I was glad to help, and the 735 works great.
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »

bottom line is , you had better know what you are buying, cause people are always getting rid of their troubles that do not work . sometime you fall into a good working well cared for unit but that is uncommon . I have bought some units off Ebay, most pretty good and well kept, one PSupply was from a quality SK professional" HAm" , on outside looks like new but came DOA , so will repair it , should'nt be too  bad, i got it for a low cost so i had low expectations , that is key .... 73s, AJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: