Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY and CW with commodore VIC-20  (Read 964 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2007, 04:24:18 PM »

recently I've got a commodore vic-20 with the RTTY and cw interface, I would like to sue it but I dont know how to do it I am planning to use it with an Icom 746 if somene knows how to install it to the radio help with it will be great. TNX
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:20:44 PM »

Most of the people with experience in the VIC-20 are dead now.

I came on board with the later Commodore 64 and I'm damned near dead now myself.

Maybe you need to upgrade to something more current, like a TRS-80 or a Timex-Sinclair.
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM »

i wish my keyboard had a bright orange reset button on it Sad
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:35:42 PM »

I,ve got this computer for free, is not a issue of upgrading cause I have a petium4 at home is the fact to be able to use it since the compuet works and coma with the rtty interface
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:01:11 AM »

I have some experience with the VIC-20 but none with the interface board you mentioned.  Do you have any documentation for it?

Dennis KG4RUL
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »

I already posted this in the computer & software forum:

If that is all you have, you are missing half of the equipment needed. I am not sure what other units will work, but I used an AEA CP-1 Computer Patch Interface. The interface goes between the computer and the radio.

Check this site for more details:
http://www.klm-tech.com/technicothica/index.html

Scott N0IU
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »

Unless you have the software to run the RTTY, you are out of luck. I had a VIC-20 in 1981 and someone had written compatible software for the TAPER-2 TNC and the old PacRats. Unless you can find and modify a compatible terminal program it will be more trouble than its worth. But then you may into challenging yourself! Good luck.

73, de Lindy
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »

Ok I found some papaers the interface is the Microlog AIR-1 which already has the software in ROM memeory in fact I already was playing with in the computer, and let you do CW and RTTY, now the question is how to plug it in the radio?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »

You still need an interface between the VIC-20 and the radio like the AEA CP-1 I mentioned before. I still have my CP-1 unit and might be willing to part with it (for the right price).

Scott N0IU
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

Years ago, I used the same setup as you.  The VIC20, and the microlog AIR1.  The AIR1 just plugs into the game port, and wiring was as I recall very simple.  Nothing complicated and no interface required between the interface and the rig was needed.  If I remember correctly, one wire from the head phone outlet to the AIR1, and one cable (you make it up) from the AIR1 to the mike input.  I used this set up on a variety of HF transceivers and had a ball.  Wish I had never gotten rid of it. Is it state of the art, NO, was it simple, YES, can you have fun with it, and will it do cw and rtty with ease, you betcha. Send me an email at home.  I'm going to check with a RTTY buddy of mine, he may have further information.  If I ever run across either the VIC 20 OR C64 version of that combination again cheap enough at a swap meet, I'm going to buy it.
de..Graham  VE7ABC
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »

Agree with the previous post, no interface needed, they made it all self contained and yes it works like a champ and is very simple to use, it has been years since I had mine, I also owned a few other Microlog products and they all worked very well. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out, 73 Jim N0XE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: