Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817ND on ebay with 10 watts?  (Read 6891 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

I saw an ebay listing for an FT-817ND that says it's a special modified version with 10 watts and mars/cap all done with software. The seller is in Athens, Greece. Is this legit?
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »

I saw an ebay listing for an FT-817ND that says it's a special modified version with 10 watts and mars/cap all done with software. The seller is in Athens, Greece. Is this legit?

There is a known software mod to double the power

http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_mods.html#power_hungry

http://www.pd7bz.com/radioprogs/FT817/FT817.htm#2503

I would never do this to my own 817.  Why risk blowing the finals?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

There is a known software mod to double the power

http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_mods.html#power_hungry

http://www.pd7bz.com/radioprogs/FT817/FT817.htm#2503

I would never do this to my own 817.  Why risk blowing the finals?

10 watts out would at least double the PA heat dissipation requirement and surely shorten its life. It might be why it is for sale.   

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »

If it is the seller I am thinking of it you look at their mother items for sale they do a whole range of ' special' radios with increased power outputs.

I agree, it looks like they go in and adjust the settings in the engineers menu. Not good really, it the rigs could put out this power then the manufacturers would doing it and selling them on at a premium.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »

You can screw with a lot of settings with the FT-817 and I believe you could coax it into putting out 10 watts, but you're looking for trouble.  There are ready software mods for this on the internet, but as they all say "do at your own risk" and I bet you'd be looking at some smoke sooner than later.

I mean, I could run my Rav4 on pure nitrous all day until the engine blew, until it did I'd be able to blow away any Corvette.  But how long until the whole thing melts?
WT1J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »

I run my Yaesu FT-857D and my FT-817ND with these mods.

You turn it off, hold down ABC buttons and while holding turn the power switch on.

Use the sel knob to scroll thru menus till you hit the HF1-MAX-RF (or something like that) option. I set it to 255. Also HF2 and HF3.

On the 857D this will give you around 120W up from 100W.

On the 817ND this will give you around 10 watts up from 5W.

The original non ND 817 has weak finals so don't do this on that radio.

Both radios are holding up fine so far.

5 to 10 watts is an OK improvement. 100 to 120W not really worth the effort and risk to the radio.

So if you want this, just buy the 817 and do it yourself, but only to the ND model.

Caveats: You're almost certainly voiding the warranty. Some QRP'ers say 5 watts is the max, others say 10 watts, so keep that in mind if you're exceeding 5 watts with your 817. Your battery will run out sooner. You're risking the radio which may not be a big deal, but if you're using it as an emergency radio, you probably don't want it to die on you when you really need it.
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »

My first FT-817ND blew the finals at 5 watts.  I would never run it at 10 watts.  It's just a matter of time until they go.  That's why I have a THP 50 watt amp for my FT-817ND Smiley

The MARS mod is fine (if you are a MARS member as I am).
WT1J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:47:43 AM »

My first FT-817ND blew the finals at 5 watts.  I would never run it at 10 watts.  It's just a matter of time until they go.  That's why I have a THP 50 watt amp for my FT-817ND Smiley

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Any pattern of use that caused that? High SWR? What band were you mostly on and what sort of antenna?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »

As soon as you mentioned "Athens, Greece" I choked.  I'd never buy from our of country! 

Actually getting it and or the condition it is in would be potential problems in addition to the ones that were mentioned here.

W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Any pattern of use that caused that? High SWR? What band were you mostly on and what sort of antenna?

We were never able to figure out what caused them to blow.  I use 20m mostly and an LDG autotuner.  SWR was not an issue.  The FT-817 was 4 days out of warrenty.  Yaesu stepped up to the plate and fixed it at no charge.  This was in 2005.  Last year my FT-817 was stolen/went missing.  I bought a new one 6 weeks ago.  So far so good Smiley !
WT1J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:39 PM »

We were never able to figure out what caused them to blow.  I use 20m mostly and an LDG autotuner.  SWR was not an issue.  The FT-817 was 4 days out of warrenty.  Yaesu stepped up to the plate and fixed it at no charge.  This was in 2005.  Last year my FT-817 was stolen/went missing.  I bought a new one 6 weeks ago.  So far so good Smiley !

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the new set. My experience with Yaesu has also been really good, my dial on my FT857D went out for some reason and they replaced it for me for no charge. Will definitely stick with the brand. (Although I did get a tarheel instead of their ATAS antenna and am very happy with the tarheel)
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »

I find it fascinating how folks buy a QRP rig then immediately want to increase the power.  The KX3 came out and nearly all we heard about it was the lack of the amplifier.

I guess if you like to putter with the radios its OK.  But I find it more fun to build radios and such rather than tinker with them.

My 2 cents.

72, JP, K8AG
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »

Hello.

CB radios only do 4 watts out.
The CB shop will say you "HAVE" to have this done or that done.
And they will explain how you need to match the radio to the amplifier.
Say what?!
An amplifier that is intended to work with a CB needs "adjustment".
True, this is more CB lore than anything, BUT!
The same is true of Amateur Radio.
You can increase the power of the radio,BAD or get an amplifier.
Or just buy a radio that puts out the power you want.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: